cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow to display messages and other issues

changi
Grafter
Posts: 25
Registered: 03-01-2008

Slow to display messages and other issues

Bob,
I have previously mentioned these problems when you added me to the trial. The updated Roundcube looks better, *but* looking past the fancy interface it is not really any better to use:
1. Contents of my inbox are slow to display, I just counted 45 seconds. Possibly as I have over 3,000 messages but I am using IMAP and it is sync'd to my Outlook mail. Are the upgrdades to the servers coming some time soon?
2. I need to display messages in a new window (partly because of 1. above). "Open in new window/tab" does not work as I guess RC takes over using Javascript or something to provide the fancy user interface - so this is worse than Squirrelmail. The Open in new window command is inconveniently hidden at the bottom of a 2nd-level context menu - can you put this at the top of the menu or even make ctrl-click do it?. I cannot find if there is a preferences setting to always open messages in a separate window. I never use double click at the moment.
3. Sometimes I get just an empty inbox displayed, as others have reported.
4. I sometimes get a red "failed to xxxx" message.(xxx = send/delete/move message etc.)
Cheers, Ian
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 26,375
Thanks: 632
Fixes: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

I suggest you create folders and move the emails you want to keep in to the folders. That way you can keep all the emails fully synced in outlook and webmail (it doesn't matter which you use to do the moves) and you'll have a speedy inbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
changi
Grafter
Posts: 25
Registered: 03-01-2008

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Thanks Jelv yes that might help however ideally I don't want to change the way I work because the tools are forcing me to. Outlook is nice and quick and I would like Roundcube to be the same. I cannot use Outlook at work for Force9 mail and I have tried using Gmail as a webmail clinet but it has problems too. I understand that Plusnet's servers are slow but also that Squirrelmail and maybe Roundcube load up all inbox messages (or at least fetch all headers?) before displaying the contents. Surely loading just the first window would make more sense? Or maybe you can't change that?
Also I would appreciate answers to points 2, 3 & 4.
Thanks, Ian
Community Veteran
Posts: 26,375
Thanks: 632
Fixes: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

I have 1379 messages in one of my inboxes - Roundcude took 5 seconds to display the first 40 messages from when I logged in - that seems an acceptable speed to me!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chandu
Grafter
Posts: 535
Thanks: 1
Registered: 30-12-2010

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Hi All,
I just tried to login via betawebmail.plus.net.  Got as far as log-in.  Very slow to log in.  However, I got a blank page.  So, I asked my wife to login into her email account.  The same result.  So, what is going wrong?  Why is it slow to log us in?  Is it the mail servers getting old and tired?  Or is it me and my wife doing something incorrectly?  Sad
So, the question is: Is this NEW all singing and dancing Webmail client as good as it is made out to be?
I would appreciate everyones comments on this.
Thanks.
Chandu.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Posts: 10,540
Registered: 18-07-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Hi Chandu,
We've not heard of any issues with it, just tested from here and it worked fine. Did you put your username and password in in the same way as you would to log into the website?
chandu
Grafter
Posts: 535
Thanks: 1
Registered: 30-12-2010

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Quote from: Matt
Did you put your username and password in in the same way as you would to log into the website?

Yes, Matt.  I did exactly as I do with Squirrel.  Same with my wife's email account.  This was strange, I agree.
However, I tried it today and it worked fine.  I suppose we have some gremlins causing the mischief.  Angry
By the way, is betawebmail already set for HTML or do I need to set it locally.  If so, how do I do that.
Chandu.
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 8,952
Thanks: 451
Fixes: 38
Registered: 06-04-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

To check or set HTML message composition go to Personal Settings then click Composing Messages. Change the Compose HTML messages setting as desired, then click Save to save the setting if you've changed it.
I'm not sure if this needs to be done for each individual mailbox (username+mailboxname).
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 43
Fixes: 1
Registered: 30-03-2011

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

I can report that I've had no problems with the current release of Roundcube excepting the forwarding issue I separately reported which hasn't recurred. It's pretty fast - certainly faster than SM. The only thing I regret not having with it is the colour coding of messages but I can live without that.
chandu
Grafter
Posts: 535
Thanks: 1
Registered: 30-12-2010

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Quote from: spraxyt
To check or set HTML message composition go to Personal Settings then click Composing Messages. Change the Compose HTML messages setting as desired, then click Save to save the setting if you've changed it.

Thank you spraxyt.  Found it and done it.
Chandu.
chandu
Grafter
Posts: 535
Thanks: 1
Registered: 30-12-2010

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Hi Guys,
Just noticed that the Filter & Search boxes overlap icons on the left (e.g. 'More Action'; 'Mark Messages'; 'Mark as Spam'; and the 'Move messages to Deleted Items') in 800x600 pixel display setting as I wanted to delete an unwanted message.  I have to have the 800x600 settings because of sight issue.  Sad  Any suggestions on moving these 2 boxes to the right so the left hand icons are usable?
TIA.
Chandu.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 12,859
Thanks: 676
Fixes: 64
Registered: 04-04-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
Quote from: changi
1. Contents of my inbox are slow to display, I just counted 45 seconds. Possibly as I have over 3,000 messages but I am using IMAP and it is sync'd to my Outlook mail. Are the upgrdades to the servers coming some time soon?

The mail collection servers themselves don't require upgrading, this is supported by the fact that you don't encounter problems when using Outlook. Similarly I think the Webmail boxes are beefy enough too. Having said this, I'd be inclined to agree that the platform is a lot slower than I'd expect at times. I've a Roundcube installation hosted elsewhere that will render my (6000 message+) Inbox in seconds. Granted the underlying servers and software are completely different to ours but it does suggest that what you're seeing is probably not being caused by Roundcube. I'll make sure this observation is fed back to the necessary people.
Quote from: changi
2. I need to display messages in a new window (partly because of 1. above). "Open in new window/tab" does not work as I guess RC takes over using Javascript or something to provide the fancy user interface - so this is worse than Squirrelmail. The Open in new window command is inconveniently hidden at the bottom of a 2nd-level context menu - can you put this at the top of the menu or even make ctrl-click do it?. I cannot find if there is a preferences setting to always open messages in a separate window. I never use double click at the moment.

Shame you don't use the preview pane because there's a 'pop-out' hyperlink to the top right of each message that would open it in a new window. Regarding the depth of the option in the right-click context menu, did you know that you can highlight a message, click the cog icon and open the message in a new window from there? Alternatively you should find that middle-click will open the message in a new tab.
Quote from: changi
3. Sometimes I get just an empty inbox displayed, as others have reported.
4. I sometimes get a red "failed to xxxx" message.(xxx = send/delete/move message etc.)

There are some IMAP fetching improvements in the latest Roundcube release that I think we were looking at back-porting which might help. Regardless, we've not lost sight of these issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

changi
Grafter
Posts: 25
Registered: 03-01-2008

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

Quote from: Bob
Thanks for the feedback Smiley
... I'd be inclined to agree that the platform is a lot slower than I'd expect at times. ... I'll make sure this observation is fed back to the necessary people.

OK thanks
Quote from: Bob
Shame you don't use the preview pane because there's a 'pop-out' hyperlink to the top right of each message that would open it in a new window.

Thanks.
I didn't know that, and am now using the preview pane and the pop-out. Much better thanks. I detest the reading pane and autopreview in Outlook (too much screen area) but for Roundcube that's a good compromise.
Quote from: changi
3. Sometimes I get just an empty inbox displayed, as others have reported.
4. I sometimes get a red "failed to xxxx" message.(xxx = send/delete/move message etc.)

Quote from: Bob
There are some IMAP fetching improvements in the latest Roundcube release that I think we were looking at back-porting which might help. Regardless, we've not lost sight of these issues.

Thanks. These problems have gone away since my post, fingers crossed.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Posts: 4,143
Thanks: 7
Fixes: 1
Registered: 15-04-2007

Re: Slow to display messages and other issues

@Bob, I have sent you a PM