cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Impressions and Wish List

N/A

Second Impressions and Wish List

Finding myself hopping back to Squirrelmail (which I have got on with quite well), I thought that it was time to re-evaluate RC again and add a wish list, so here it is:
• Logon – would like to have username and password saved in Firefox
• Font style and size  to be saved in preferences so that it doesn’t need selecting each time an e-mail is sent
• Single click opening of e-mails
• Tick box next to e-mail to mark for deletion
• Ability to move e-mails to another folder without dragging and dropping (as with Squirrelmail) – again, will involve       having   a tick box
• When composing e-mails, would be good to be able to point and click at the selected address (i.e. the ones that are in the address book) rather than having to use the down/up arrows
• Attachments – mine are being received in the body of the e-mail and as an attachment. Would prefer the attachment not to be inserted into the e-mail in this way. This happens in both html and plain text. If I am not doing something correctly would appreciate advice.
Just to add - if these changes were made I think that I would be quite happy with Roundcube.
8 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Second Impressions and Wish List

Logon can be dealt with in Firefox.
It's a bit tricky to circumvent as Firefox doesn't offer to save user/password fields on https connections.
In fact I can't quite remember how I did it - but it is possible  Wink
You will need write access to the place where passwords are optionally saved.

N/A

Thank you for the reply. Have had a look at the Mozilla knowledge database without success so I am going to have a go at the livechat when it begins at 2 p.m. today to see if I can learn how to do this. Can't find the way to do it although I have looked at Options etc.
IE7 doesn't retain the password either.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

In the case of IE7 didn't password saving get turned off on secure (https) pages? I'm not sure if there's an option to turn it on again.
David
David
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

OK - but try this:-
I did this on a https site:-
Signon with correct user name but incorrect password
The signon was rejected (of course) - but Firefox asked me if I wanted to save the user/password.
Say Yes
Reload the webpage and Firefox might fill in the user name [you might have to left click the field if there is more than one user]
Enter the correct password and signon - the new password will overwrite the old password.
If this works you are OK - otherwise it looks very difficult.

N/A

Tried it but unfortunately didn't work either in FF3 or IE7.  Sad
If I get sorted with the live chat thing (never done it before) I will let you know.
terminal
Grafter

The reason it doe not give you the option of remembering the login details is that the username text field has the attribute autocomplete="off"
If you have an extension like firebug you can change these attributes on the fly.  There is also a greasemonkey script that will do it for you
This link http://cybernetnews.com/2006/06/07/tweak-firefoxs-password-saver-without-an-extension/ describes how you can change this attribute for a page (basically you run a javascript that finds all occurrances of the attribute and changes its value to "on")  It also resets any onsubmit attributes and displays a popup telling you what it has done.  the link has a script you can bookmark (or just copy and paste into the url line of firefox).
The idea is you display the login page, run the script and then login in.  You should then get the standard firefox question about remembering your password.  If you say yes to this your login details will then always be automatically completed for you (i.e. this script is just a one off)
obviously having your password remembered like this can be a security risk if someone else can log on to your machine, if you are concerned about that you might want to add a master password (options->security-> use a master password.  With a master password, the first time in a session that you want to use an autocomplete, you have to enter the master password.
edited, put wrong link in, doh
N/A

The second link does work, Terminal, except that it doesn't 'hold' the Plusnet/Force9/Freeonline and Metronet drop-down choice.
I can't understand why when it is perfectly OK with SM. This (IMO) definitely needs to be addressed before it goes out to voluntary trial.
At least I now have the logon page remembering my username and password, if not Force9 so thank you for that.
**Just tried it on IE7 and when I attempted to add it to favourites it was flagged up as unsafe so I didn't proceed.
Now I am a bit concerned - is it safe or not?
terminal
Grafter

it looked ok to me.  I modified a version of it to simplify it (my version only changes the attributes, doesn't bother with an alert to tell you what it does)
heres my version
javascript:(function(){var df,dfe,i,j,x,y;df=document.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df;dfe=x.elements;if(x.attributes["autocomplete"]){x.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y=dfe;if(y.attributes["autocomplete"]){y.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";}}}})();

not sure how to make it a link without getting http: in front of it, you will need to copy my version and paste it into the address line.
here it is expanded out onto multiple lines, with some comments showing you what it does (I'm not a javascript programmer, but can just about work out what it is doing). if you want to check, copy the link location into notepad and compare it with the code below (ignoring comments within the /* */ bits)
/* it is a javascript, containing 1 function */
javascript:(
function()
{
/* declare some variables */
  var df,dfe,i,j,x,y;
/* get the forms from the page */
  df=document.forms;
/* for each form? */
  for(i=0;i<df.length;++i)
  {
    /* get the form into x */
    x=df;
    /* get the elements */
    dfe=x.elements;
    /* if this form has an autocomplete attribute  set it to "on" */
    if(x.attributes["autocomplete"])
    {
      x.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";
    }
    /* for each element in the form, do the same */
    for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j)
    {
      /* get the element into y */
      y=dfe;
    /* if this element has an autocomplete attribute  set it to "on" */
      if(y.attributes["autocomplete"])
      {
        y.attributes["autocomplete"].value="on";
      }
    }
  }
}
)();

The script in the original  link has some extra bits, where it counted how many forms and elements it modified and popped up an alert to inform you.
I ran my version and then used firebug to check that it had only changed the attributes.
It is possible that your security settings think it is dodgy because you are running a javascript to change the page which, if you don't know what the script was doing, could potentially be dodgy, hence the warning.
As I say, javascript isn't one of the programming languages I know, but it looks fairly safe to me, are any javascript programmers on here who can confirm this?
obviously if you are concerned, don't run the script, it's up to you.