Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roundcube launch date - Tuesday 10th April

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Roundcube launch date - Tuesday 10th April

Hi all,
Heads up that next Tuesday morning will see us replace SquirrelMail with Roundcube as the default Webmail app for Plusnet & Metronet customers.
We've been trialling the platform for what seems like an age now and I think the consensus agree that it's a marked improvement. I'm aware that there are a few who have some niggles with the service but like all change, not everyone's going to like it.
There will be links back to SquirrelMail for a while as people get used to the transition and we're in the process of updating the Help & Support content on the main website.
So, as of Tuesday ...
webmail.plus.net will point to Roundcube, and
webmail.plus.net/squirrelmail will point to Squirrelmail
After a few months we'll be looking to retire SquirrelMail entirely.
When people log into Roundcube they should find that all of their address book information is automatically migrated across from Squirrel.
I've just posted the Planned Maintenance Announcement for the work here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Roundcube launch date - Tuesday 10th April

To add to the above we will be looking to change the status of Roundcube on these forums from trial to live.
As such, a few days after the go live date, we will be removing the ability to create new threads (you will still be able to reply to existing ones) as new threads should be made in the email board http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,65.0.html
At some point after that replies to existing threads will also be blocked but we will move any live threads to the email board so you can continue the discussion. Hopefully there won't be any - or not many at least.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Oldjim
<snipped>............................ - or not many at least.
Whoops, was that a pig I saw flying past ?  Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Bob, I Do Not Want Roundcube, I Want to Keep SquirrelMail, Roundcube is not compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act
And you Know It is not compliant!  You tested it for your self with a Screen Reader and the Screen Reader could not cope with Roundcube.
If you pull SquirrelMail I will start proceedings against BT / PlusNet PLC, for breaching the Disability Discrimination Act.
Community Veteran

According to this http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1484257 it can be made to work
i don't know if the patch is added on a users machine or at source
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gary,
Webmail is an optional facility. You can have full access to your email using any client of your choice using POP3 or IMAP and SMTP.
Your chance of success with any action is only slightly above zero.
Edit: Is Thunderbird compliant? If so all Plusnet have to do is provide you with a copy of that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

According to this http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1484257 it can be made to work.
i don't know if the patch is added on a users machine or at source.

A quick look at that patch is telling me it would have to be done at source. I don't see any way it could be done at the user end.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Oldjim, From what I have Read that patch is Flaky, it will cause more problems than it solves.
@jelv, I don't know if Thunderbird is compliant or not.
As for my chance of winning is Good.
davek
Dabbler

Bob: Roundcube might look great on most counts, but I've got to disagree with you on one important point. - it does not import the Squirrel address book! I pointed this out to your Support Team around 2 weeks ago, and as of today's launch, it has only imported around 50% of my Squirrel address book. Given that the old site has been unobtainable for most of this morning, I now find myself unable to access a lot of my addresses. Is this going to be fixed in the near future?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Gary, I have acknowledged your concerns in the past and whilst I recognise that it may not be ideal for your particular requirements, I don't think it leaves us liable from a DDA perspective. As jelv has mentioned there are a multitude of other ways you can access your Plusnet email, the majority of which I'm sure would be compatible with your screen reader.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to come across insensitive to yours (or other's) needs, and we will look at the plugin above - but I cannot offer any guarantees. For the most part Roundcube works much better than the alternatives we've tried (and we've invested a *lot* of time into this).
Quote from: RPMozley
According to this http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1484257 it can be made to work.
i don't know if the patch is added on a users machine or at source.

A quick look at that patch is telling me it would have to be done at source. I don't see any way it could be done at the user end.

Yes, it does need to be installed server-side. As above, we'll look into it.
Quote from: roughyed
Bob: Roundcube might look great on most counts, but I've got to disagree with you on one important point. - it does not import the Squirrel address book! I pointed this out to your Support Team around 2 weeks ago, and as of today's launch, it has only imported around 50% of my Squirrel address book.

Concerning. I'll take a look at that today. Little annoyed the helpdesk didn't bring it to my attention TBH Sad
Quote from: roughyed
Given that the old site has been unobtainable for most of this morning, I now find myself unable to access a lot of my addresses. Is this going to be fixed in the near future?

It's looking like we may need to roll this morning's changes back whilst we work on fixing the problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

https://betawebmail.plus.net/ and https://betawebmail.plus.net/squirrelmail both working ok at the moment, but https://webmail.plus.net is not. (ref: Webmail problems (71023) service status). HTH.
Community Veteran

Hey, https://webmail.plus.net/ seems to be working now!
Fixes: 47

....and Plusnet sites in general seems to have quickened up Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, things are looking better now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

As stated earlier I have now removed the ability to post new topics on this board but you will still be able to reply to existing topics.
If you want to start a new topic please use the Email Board.