Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RC Importing Address Book from SM

chandu
Grafter

RC Importing Address Book from SM

Hi Guys,
This may be off topic; but will RC import my address book from SM automatically OR do I have to start building my Address Book afresh on the RC?
Feedback will be appreciated.  Thanks.
Chandu.
9 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: RC Importing Address Book from SM

Sorry, Roundcube will not import address books automatically from SquirrelMail.Though Roundcube can import addresses from a vCard format file as far as I'm aware there is no facility to export them from SquirrelMail.
Have you got the addresses in any other email clients which might be exportable to vCards?
David
David
chandu
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Have you got the addresses in any other email clients which might be exportable to vCards?
David

Sorry, No.
Chandu.
Superuser
Superuser

Have you a lot of addresses to transfer?
David
David
chandu
Grafter

Not that much - about 70 odd.  I suppose I shall have to add each one to the address book as I receive the emails.  That I think would be the easiest way.  What do you think?
Chandu.
dick:quote
Superuser
Superuser

70 is quite a lot and adding as received/sent might be best for that number. I had only a handful that weren't in my Thunderbird address book. I transferred the latter into Roundcube via LDIF and vCard (using Internet resources and a bit of editing to convert).
For the residual few from SM I did a copy from the SM screen list and pasted them into a text editor. Then manually converted them into a vCard file and imported that into Roundcube.
David
David
chandu
Grafter

@spraxyt
Hi David,
I am not using the quote as it appears that I keep breaking the Forum rules!!!  Sad
Anyway, back to business.  Thanks for the hint/suggestion.  David, what is the vCard?  Where can I get this s/w?
Regards,
Chandu.
Superuser
Superuser

If you are responding to the immediately preceding post a full quote of it is unnecessary (and often inconveniences someone trying to respond since it means more scrolling if they want to refer back). It is doing that the mods are reacting to. A partial quote is acceptable but in my opinion mostly unnecessary.
Whilst you can fully quote posts other than the immediately preceding one it is always worth considering whether doing so is necessary. If more than one person is responding to a post it is usually clear which post is the relevant one. However partial quoting the relevant part can help, particularly in a topic with mixed subjects (in my opinion mixtures are best avoided in a trial support board - one of the reasons I split the original post off).
Hope you find these thoughts helpful.
David
David
Superuser
Superuser

VCard is a standard format for publishing electronic business cards which contain information typically contained in an address book. The Wikipedia article vCard is a good reference.
Roundcube version 0.6 (the present one) imports and exports entries in its Address Book in version 3.0 vCard format (the first one tracked in RFCs). A vCard file (.vcf) with two entries looks like

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Example;Itsan;;;
FN:Itsan Example
EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=OTHER:itsan.example@example.com
END:VCARD
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Last;First;Middle;Prefix;Sfx
FN:Prefix First Middle Last Sfx
EMAIL;type=INTERNET;type=OTHER:first.last@somewhere.net
END:VCARD

This is in parameter;parameter-attribute:parameter-value format. The first entry "Itsan Example" shows the default fields presented when defining an entry in Roundcube, the second entry explains what the fields contain.
N is the structured name
FN is the formatted name
EMAIL not surprisingly is the email address, with OTHER (or HOME or OFFICE) designating location.
NICKNAME is not shown above but could contain the first field from SM (Roundcube would pick it up if present)
For importing SM names I manually converted text copied and pasted from the SM list into that format and imported it into Roundcube.
David
David
chandu
Grafter

Hi David,
Thanks for the clarification and your thoughts about the quotes. Much appreciated.
Also, thanks for detailed explanation of vCard.  Wink
Many regards,
Chandu.