cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Feature Requests

Community Veteran

Miscellaneous Feature Requests

Moderator's Note:
This topic is intended to provide a focal point for Miscellaneous Feature Requests to avoid them getting lost among posts covering other topics. The current post, and the first reply have been moved from First Impressions with that intent.
David (spraxyt)

Another query.  When I bring up the list of messages in my inbox there doesn't appear to be a way to delete selective messages.  There is a 'toggle all' but no way to delete selective ones.
If I highlite messages with the keyboard it simply opens one of the highlited ones.

Edit:
Sorry I jumped the gun.  I can highlite individual messages and then delete them.  It was just me being thick Wink
A tick box alongside each message would,however, be good.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Miscellaneous Feature Requests

Sorry to keep popping up with queries.  Under the 'folders' heading alongside each folder the number of messages are shown in brackets. As messages are moved/deleted the count is not accurate.  Also it would be nice if we could have the same facility as Thunderbird where it can be set up to show total messages and unread messages in each folder.
Also when opening a folder is is difficult to see clearly the read and unread messages.  Can the unread ones be shown in heavier type?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

From the First Impressions thread:
Quote from: phil
One piece of UI feedback I'd like to see tweaked (if we have the capability to do things like this) is the 'buttons' at the top of the screen don't have text labels with them. I prefer text options because it's easier to scan the page, rather than spending time understand what each logo represents
David
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Quote from: artmo
… when opening a folder is is difficult to see clearly the read and unread messages.  Can the unread ones be shown in heavier type?

For me unread messages are in bold type, and they have a purple "sun" against them in the list. Is your display different?
David
David
Community Veteran

Yes, you're right.  I wasn't really looking closely enough.  I think I am still getting used to Roundcube.  I am still liking it Smiley
terminal
Grafter

generally quite impressed with it.  just a few suggestions for improvements:

Change the order of the columns in righthand frame when viewing folders - all other email clients I've used have sender first, followed by subject.  With a short subject text there is a lot of whitespace to traverse across to find the sender (also, I find when looking for spam the sender is usually a good indicator of spam)
When reading an email it would be nice if there were Next / Previous Message buttons across the top with the other buttons (when I first used it that is where I looked to find such buttons, the small grey buttons in the bottom right corner are not so obvious at first, and fairly small buttons too - always a bit of a pain when using touchpad controller on a laptop)
Whilst the font is ok for me, it is a bit smaller than the font used in SquirrelMail (and other webmail clients I've used), I'm sure some users might find it a bit too small (possibly a customisable feature?)

A few minor niggles:
When reading an email, the + signs next to Sender and Recipient email addresses is a bit confusing. The symbol used is a standard "expand to see more" style button.  First email I read I thought "lets see what this expands to" to find I'd added the address to my addressbook.  Is it possible to change this to a more obvious pixmap?
When switching between folders the righthand frame clears, and a fairly discreet (i.e. I didn't notice it first few times) grey "Loading..." box is displayed at the top middle of the screen.  Especially when switching to a large folder (e.g. inbox containing 300+ messages) there is a noticeable delay (anything up to 5 seconds, even with a line speed of 6.7Mb).  Having been hit a couple of times by the "webmail unable to see messages" fault, my first impression was that something had gone wrong.  Might be more obvious if the "Loading..." box appeared in the centre of the screen - or maybe the centre of the righthand frame.
In the folder listing, clicking on the line is a bit inconsistent (in a way).  Clicking on most parts of the line just highlights it. However, if you click in the Sender column part of the line it goes to the compose new message screen (addressed to that sender).  Obviously if my first suggestion is taken up (display sender first) this could be a bit annoying.

Community Veteran

Quote from: terminal

reading A few minor niggles:
When switching between folders the righthand frame clears, and a fairly discreet (i.e. I didn't notice it first few times) grey "Loading..." box is displayed at the top middle of the screen.  Especially when switching to a large folder (e.g. inbox containing 300+ messages) there is a
In the folder listing, clicking on the line is a bit inconsistent (in a way).  Clicking on most parts of the line just highlights it. However, if you click in the Sender column part of the line it goes to the compose new message screen (addressed to that sender).  Obviously if my first suggestion is taken up (display sender first) this could be a bit annoying.

Yes, I've just noticed this as I was using RC this morning.  At least we can open a message with just one click now.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

A few preferences/features I'd like to see:-
Line height is much too narrow - changing number of entries from 40 to 20 doesn't alter line height.
In general, all fonts are too small and window borders are too small.
It also needs a documentation or "help" link.

Community Veteran

i do the bare minimum with email clients - read mail, reply delete and so on.  i want to be in and out and done with it soonest.
i'm being held up by having to double click to open an email.  belay that; just found the preview option.  nice!
i, too, would like text under the icons to explain their meaning.  tooltips is nice, but also slows me down.
so far it's fastest in opera, then konqueror and slowest in firefox 3.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: terminal
Change the order of the columns in righthand frame when viewing folders - all other email clients I've used have sender first, followed by subject.  With a short subject text there is a lot of whitespace to traverse across to find the sender (also, I find when looking for spam the sender is usually a good indicator of spam)

I'd expand on this request to make the column position user selectable via Drag'n'drop as it is in Outlook etc...?
M
N/A

Terminal's point about the 'Add Sender to Address Book' + sign is a good point. I just discovered this before turning back to the forum. It isn't very obvious or clear and it does look like it should expand.
N/A

Did this 'hidden' forum appear in the general one this afternoon or did I dream it?  Huh
Community Veteran

no dream.  could be only those on the trial can see it.
N/A

I think that the icons are pretty self-explanatory but would be clearer, particularly for new users, if they had text underneath saying exactly what they are. At the mo you have to hover the mouse over them.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Adding attachments is bad...
There is no warning what the limit is, and no warning if an attachment is too big.
Surprised to find that Squirrelmail only accepts a maximum of 7MBytes.
If I enter a to-address and subject line and click to send it (with an empty body) nothing happens - not even a warning.
This is the case even if there are attachments.
I sent 16 smallish equally sized attachments in one email (total about 8MB) and it took many,many,many minutes [actually I was forced to stop it after 30 minutes] to send - my internet connection was running at perhaps 2Kbytes/sec upload or less!