cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Getting Logged Off and Losing Email I'm Writing When Saving to Drafts

Capvermell
Grafter

Keep Getting Logged Off and Losing Email I'm Writing When Saving to Drafts

I expect there is a thread on this here already somewhere but I couldn't see it so hence this post.
Basically I have been using Betawebmail for a few weeks ever since my last laptop computer died in early January and while I spent several weeks deciding what to replace it with whilst using an elderly Pentium 4 Mobile that had been retired (due to case damage) temporarily.
Originally I found I could write new emails quite happily in Roundcube with no problems in early January even though I had the save to drafts options set at 3 minutes.  Then a few weeks ago when writing emails I kept getting logged out and the email I was writing would vanish but if I pressed the Back button I went back to a page where the email I was just writing was still there right up to the last character.
But now today that most hated and disgusting feature of some webmail services has hit and I was suddenly logged out and when I pressed the back button I could not go back any my email was lost.
All of these things seem to be associated with the save current email to drafts feature not working properly and when the laptop tries to make the save that is exactly when you then get logged out of the Roundcube system.
This problem is so annoying (losing the email you are writing is the worst thing that can happen if it is a long and complex one) that I am now being forced to revert to using Squirrelmail.
Has anyone else had this problem and do they know what is the cause?
14 REPLIES
jojopillo
Grafter

Re: Keep Getting Logged Off and Losing Email I'm Writing When Saving to Drafts

Hi, I've tried replicating this but can't I'm afraid. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Capvermell
Grafter

So customer support is just going to deny the issue exists to make it go away is it.  I think I have encountered that distressing technique before somewhere! Roll eyes
So the scenario is I'm writing an email.  The system can't save to draft so then I get logged out of my session by the system and taken back to the username and password box.  If I'm lucky I press back and a version of my email up to where I was writing it is still there.  But I still have to cut and paste that in a new compose email session again after logging in again because this session is now dead and logged off.
This is hardly unusual.  I have had lots of webmail systems do it.  Its why I don't like webmail and much prefer Pop clients like Thunderbird.  But webmail is convenient short term until I get some up on my new PC.
I just tried changing my save to drafts session from once a minute to once every 10 minutes and the problem seems to have gone away.  So I imagine its linked with that.
Please don't ask for screenshots and all that stuff as I don't have a camera here or the requisite 10 hours with which to work out how to post up that image on a server and link to it.
Adie:quote
jojopillo
Grafter

Quote from: Capvermell
So customer support is just going to deny the issue exists to make it go away is it. 

Not at all. The only way we can get to the bottom of any issues like this is to replicate it. I tried to but I couldn't, so that's why I asked to see if anyone else had suffered it.
Jojo Smiley
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
I tried to but I couldn't, so that's why I asked to see if anyone else had suffered it.

Ah yes day one of the standard customer service course.
"Dear customer we expect you to believe that no customer other than you has ever raised this issue with us before so your issue is not valid and has been suitably ignored.  Now please go away."
I should have remembered that the Tetley Tea Drinking Folk are in fact still owned by BT and that BT didn't get where it is today by listening to its customers.
Try decreasing your save copy to drafts setting to the minimum and you should be able to replicate the fault.
jojopillo
Grafter

Quote from: Capvermell
Try decreasing your save copy to drafts setting to the minimum and you should be able to replicate the fault.

I set it to one minute to see if I could replicate it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I set it to 3 mins and no problem
Capvermell
Grafter

How long do you spend composing your emails and do your forward other emails within them or even content you have cut and pasted from elsewhere?
My emails can be long and composed over a long period and I frequently post in content from other documents.  For instance from other emails I have archived in Mozilla Thunderbird where most of my emails are stored.
Adie:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I deliberately left it running for more than 3 mins to trigger the autosave
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

May I ask what sort of connection you are using to log in to RC?
Also you can't expect PN to fix a problem if they don't know where the fault lies. So replication is very important and is required to test whether a fix is working or not.
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
May I ask what sort of connection you are using to log in to RC?

An ADSL broadband connection on a home phone line that seems to be entirely stable for all other purposes.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I tried replicating this shortly after the opening post, and didn't experience the problem. My profile setting was to save every 5 minutes, and it did - as long as the text had been updated since the previous save. Updating after a previous "missed" save-cycle  caused it to save again. After monitoring behaviour for over 30 minutes I left Roundcube logged in while doing other things (on-line), and I was still logged in (with the compose message displayed) when I came back to it just now.
I don't recall this problem being mentioned before with the current or previous open trial versions, nor with the much older version used in the initial closed trials.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I didn't know about the "save to drafts" setting. I only occasionally use webmail for writing but6 I did more extensively recently when my main computer crashed. At no time have I experienced what you seem to be experiencing.
In any case I'm running Firefox with Textarea Cache which is very useful when websites - usually forums - crash unexpectedly.
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: drj
I didn't know about the "save to drafts" setting. I only occasionally use webmail for writing but6 I did more extensively recently when my main computer crashed. At no time have I experienced what you seem to be experiencing.

I have changed my Save to Drafts setting to 10 minutes and haven't had the issue again since then.  May be altering the Settings reset something in relation to my account in the webmail client.
In any case I'm running Firefox with Textarea Cache which is very useful when websites - usually forums - crash unexpectedly.

Thanks for the tip on Textarea Cache.  It sounds very useful,  To be honest I am sufficiently paranoid about such things that when I write a long forum post I usually paste a copy in to Notepad before I try and then post it on the forum in case the forum tells me its broken and wipes out my carefully penned post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Useful tip there from drj, I've been caught out a few times whilst composing in SM in the past, also when composing a ticket, have to try that out.
I haven't managed to create this problem in RC yet.
Quote from: Joanne
Hi, I've tried replicating this but can't I'm afraid. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Yes, colintivy mentioned it in December and again at the end of February but nobody seems to have picked up on it.