cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icons

Community Veteran

Icons

I've been using the new webmail, and like it.  I do have one niggle, which is probably not a big deal, but here it is anyway.
The "recycle bin" icon is used to move an email to the SPAM folder, while the "No entry" icon moves is to the deleted box. To me (and I admit that I may be unique in this regard), they should be the other way around. Just a minor irritant really.
It certainly looks and feels better than the old one.
John
6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Icons

The "no entry" icon comes with Roundcube, whereas the "junk box" was introduced with the missed spam reporting tool plug-in created by Plusnet. I've always thought of "no entry" as a 'be careful' warning rather than 'no entry'. The spam folder is called 'junk' in Roundcube and a "junk box" icon matches that.
If the spam folder is displayed the corresponding icons are the built in "no entry", but in this case paired with a "display" icon for misidentified message reporting.
David
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Firstly clarification that the symbol we're looking at is the mirror image of this:

... which can mean "No Entry" on safety signs although usually only if the words "No Entry" are appended - we're not talking about the usual "horizontal bar" No Entry sign for one-way streets!
Generically it's probably more logical to regard it as saying "Don't ..." as in "Don't Enter" - likewise depending on the picture inside it might mean "Don't sound horn", "Don't Walk", "Don't pass if over the weight limit" etc.
So we can only suspect that in RoundCube it actually means "Don't Keep!". It would be much more sensible and logical to have either a Red Cross or a Trash Bin type of symbol.
Conversely the Spam button shows a Recycling Bin which of course also isn't logical for Spam. This also wouldn't be appropriate for Deleting messages so I wouldn't want them swapped over as the OP suggests.
"spraxyt" says: "whereas the "junk box" was introduced with the missed spam reporting tool plug-in created by Plusnet" - interesting since it also crops up on other RoundCube iterations - such as this one although I don't disagree that the coding behind it might be different and a "generic" symbol has been adopted by PN:

What I don't see is why it appears to be so difficult to change the symbols being used. I've previously commented re the green arrow which I still keep hitting to send an email...
What I would like is the option of simple text buttons rather than symbols - for most of us what's clearer than "BACK", "SEND", "DELETE", "SPAM", etc.
The latest iteration of Googlemail is even worse!

Community Veteran

The responses are correct, but the red circle does seem to indicate to me that this is something I need to careful about and the recycle bin looks similar to the recycle bin in Windows (A waste basket),  Like I said, they just seem the wrong way round to me, and I can accept that it may be just me. It's hardly that important, I just thought I'd mention it, in case others had the same feelings, and it was something that could be easily changed. If neither of those things is true, it doesn't bother me enough to stop using it.
John
drj
Aspiring Pro

Don't worry about mentioning it. I think the fact that you have - and that I disagree with your conclusion - shows there is definitely confusion about the symbols as presently presented.
But I still use RC in preference to SM though I miss the ability to colour code emails in the listing.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Most of these icons appear to have been "borrowed" from the default Thunderbird theme. So anyone who uses Thunderbird will be very familiar with them.
Obviously people who are more used to Outlook will be rather confused as to what icon does what. Hopefully in time people will get used to it but the green "back" button I would agree is not all that obvious to its function (it's more of a web browser function than an email reader).
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: drj
What I would like is the option of simple text buttons rather than symbols - for most of us what's clearer than "BACK", "SEND", "DELETE", "SPAM", etc.

Me too, But my text reader still can not cope with Roundcube.