cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Impressions …

Ianwild
Grafter

First Impressions …

Errr… Wow! Finally looked at my beta account and I REALLY like it. it's not Gmail to be fair, but then it doesn't steal all your data either  Roll eyes
I hope everyone else's first impression is as good as mine.
Ian
Moderator's Note: Title changed to fully reflect the content, David (spraxyt).
75 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: First Impressions …

I set up a test copy while waiting for a beta account to be set up and I have to agree - it looks slick, and it's very fast.
Ideally, it needs to be audited for security as it's still an early beta but it certainly seems to be a quality product.
B.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I also tried Barry's test copy.
The package seemed quite easy to use, and handled HTML well; definitely impressed.
David
David
avalon
Grafter

My webost has it installed and I've had access to it for a while.  Seems decent enough, providing it doesn't have the sort of security issues @mail had.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I first installed it on one of my webhosts when it was first mentioned it was a serious contender.  I have to say I do like it a lot, and can see a lot of potential for it.
Phil
phil
Grafter

For the guys gathering feedback, I'll add my 'Yes, like it' to the pile
I logged into the mailbox and it's very quick moving between folders.
I also like the ability to multiple select emails and perform batch operations. This seems like a modern app and I'd have confidence in it.
One piece of UI feedback I'd like to see tweaked (if we have the capability to do things like this) is the 'buttons' at the top of the screen don't have text labels with them. I prefer text options because it's easier to scan the page, rather than spending time understand what each logo represents
imroberts
Grafter

I like it. Certainly a great improvement.
The one thing that annoys me is the fact you have to double click on an email to view it.
I know this is because a single click is used to highlight multiple emails for bulk handling, but it annoys me nonetheless (some might say I'm fussy!).
I'd like to see a message pane like you see in most clients Smiley
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Ian
I'd like to see a message pane like you see in most clients Smiley

Do you mean a preview pane?
One of these can be turned on in Personal Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox View box.
David
David
James
Grafter

I like it Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes, first impressions are good. I like the interface - clean and uncluttered.  As I'm in the US for 5 weeks I really appreciate the lack of CAPTCHA everytime I send an email.
Is there a way to import addressses into it?  Also I agree with Ian about the need to double click a message to open it.
I'm also not sure if the spellcheck is working.  I made some deliberate ( Wink ) errors and set the spellcheck going.  When it completed it had not highlighted the errors.
Thanks to everyone for the work that has gone into this.
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: artmo
Is there a way to import addresses into it? 

Importing address book is not available at present. A new feature request for this was logged as Ticket #1326103 and is down against the 0.5-beta release. Currently we have 0.2-alpha, timescales for later releases are not defined.
I'm also not sure if the spellcheck is working.  I made some deliberate ( Wink ) errors and set the spellcheck going.  When it completed it had not highlighted the errors.

From what I recall spell checking originally worked but doesn't now. I'll raise this in a separate topic.
David
David
Superuser
Superuser

Please keep this topic strictly for "First Impressions".
Posts relating to Miscellaneous Feature Requests should go in the newly created topic with that subject.
Thanks.
David
edit to add "newly created".
David
Community Veteran

Sorry David, I didn't know there was another topic on this.
Superuser
Superuser

No problem Arthur, I created the new topic yesterday afternoon from your feature-request posts here so that they didn't get lost among unrelated comments in the present topic.
You might be interested in feedback in the Spell Checking Not Working topic, and a new v.0.2 Beta topic - concerning good news about address book import/export, requests you made earlier.
David
David
Community Veteran

Thanks david for the links.
Having used Roundcube for about a week now I must say I am very impressed with it and find it much better than SM.  I'm also very impressed by the response to any queries that have been posted. Thanks to all for the work you're doing.