cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback for Roundcube

Community Veteran

Feedback for Roundcube

Hi Bob and others.
I have now had time to play around with the new version and have generally favourable views:
1 .It is much slicker in functioning than SM but this may be in part due to the increasingly slow connections that have dogged SM in the past and which got a lot better when the modifications to the routing happened some time ago. It has gone back to nearly as bad again here.
2. Trashing old emails is a complete pleasure, almost instantaneous.
3. Most operations are intuitive, no need to experiment to sort out.
4. I have commented before about the Address Book facility. Sorry to say that I find it much less handy than SM. The need to work from the stored nicknames is OK when the nicknames are initially made to be much bigger. The choice pop-up is not very helpful. When Fwding to multiple recipients, usually as BCC, it is quite laborious as far as I can see. The SM page is a complete layout of the nickname, the title name and full email address with the three options selectable as one wishes all at one go. The need to do them one by one is a pain in RC.
Sad  Cry

Moan over (more later (as experience grows??)
I hope others will add to this thread, the more the better!
63 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: Feedback for Roundcube

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley
I'm not sure I fully understand all of your concerns about the address book though?
Quote from: colintivy
The need to work from the stored nicknames is OK when the nicknames are initially made to be much bigger.

Do you mean that you're only offered autocomplete options when typing the nick name or the email address (Rather than the full name or any of the other fields?)
The choice pop-up is not very helpful.

It seems to work OK for me. Squirrel doesn't have this functionality at all does it? You know you can click on the pop up to auto-populate the address don't you?
When Fwding to multiple recipients, usually as BCC, it is quite laborious as far as I can see.

You need to manually make visible the CC/BCC field on the mail composition window which does involve an additional click, other than that though the method doesn't seem all that dissimilar to Squirrel.

The SM page is a complete layout of the nickname, the title name and full email address with the three options selectable as one wishes all at one go. The need to do them one by one is a pain in RC.

Not sure I fully understand what you're saying here? Perhaps you can elaborate?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Thanks Bob.
I cannot easily send you a full example page of my address book in SM (nearly 100 addresses) but the layout of each address is like this:-
   [Tick boxes]
  To   CC   BCC     Nickname     Full Email address    Any useful (?) remarks. (not often used by me)
All the addresses are listed alphabetically on one long page and can be ticked as required. The selected items can then be transferred to the email sending box as indicated in one go using a "Use Addresses) box at the bottom of the page. You will see that it is very comprehensive and flexible, letting me do all the work at one sitting after (or before) composing the email text. I frequently FWD stuff to lots of addresses which is so easy with SM.
Unless I am missing something in RC, which I have not yet found, I am of the opinion that popping to and from the address book for each address separately will be laborious. The pop-up is quite handy, but you need to have a list to hand in case you have forgotten any (OAP Syndrome). I inserted my most often used addresses into RC early on manually, I note that there is an option now to import them. What would be the drill from SM?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

See attachment for illustration. That selection format does look very easy to use. Smiley
David
David
Community Veteran

Thanks for that, it does what I was after very well. I do not have a screen capture program onthis machine yet. Just got over having enough HD space to start adding things.
Grin
Community Veteran

Found a bit more time to play!
It seems that there is a problem when composing longish emails.  Several times I have been caught with an error message telling me that my time is up and points me to the log-in page. Is this so and can it be adjusted?? If not, how can it be avoided?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

How long exactly were you writing the email for? I was fairly sure the time-out was set pretty generously.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

I cannot tell you, but I was typing at the time, about a page-full in three different ones.  Went off and did them perfectly well in SM!
Also I note that my log-in does not seem to be "remembered", it is always OK elsewhere.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Thanks for letting us know colintivy.
I'll make sure your update is passed on re that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Happy Christmas Adam!
I do not expect that you are in today but I thank you for you post. I will keep an eye as my experience grows.
C.    Grin
Moggy
Grafter

Well I like it, one problem so far, I can't get my signature to be at the top at a replay, it always goes to the bottom.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Do you mean you want your response text to follow the order typed reply, signature, then quoted original text?
That should be achievable by going to Personal Settings -> Preferences tab -> Composing Messages.
Then set the When replying option to start new message above original.
This activates the When replying or forwarding place signature setting which should be changed to above the quote.
Then click Save to store the changes.
Hopefully mission achieved. Smiley
David
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I have only played with it a little bit at the moment, but one thing I can't seem to do (unless I've missed something) is open mail messages in a new tab whilst keeping the Inbox in the first tab - very irritating - it's something I can do in SM. Other than that, so far it seems slicker than SM but I can also see the point that colintivy is making about the address book. More playing needed.
With regard to "remembering the login name" - yes that is especially annoying, particularly when logging into secondary mailboxes as the name is very long (with the + sign in the middle!). The work around I am using (which will only continue to work whilst SM is on the system and the primary webmail) is - my browser (firefox) is set to allow it to remember usernames - on the SM login select the username you want, then select all, then copy. Then goto "advanced webmail" & just paste in the username. HTH.
Chris.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Anotherone
I have only played with it a little bit at the moment, but one thing I can't seem to do (unless I've missed something) is open mail messages in a new tab whilst keeping the Inbox in the first tab - very irritating - it's something I can do in SM. Other than that, so far it seems slicker than SM but I can also see the point that colintivy is making about the address book. More playing needed.

You have!
On the More Actions dropdown (the gear wheel icon) there is an option Open in new window.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hi,
(message composed before jelv's reply)
some further playing around has yielded some answers -
To open mail messages in another tab - select the message, then select More actions - at the bottom of the list - "Open in a new window" - my Firefox is set to open a new window in a new tab - job done.
@colintivy (et al)
To send to multiple addresses - select the address book - select each of the addresses that you want to mail using <ctrl> select on each one then click on "Compose mail to" above the Contact list.
The work around for Bcc (or Cc) is to click on Add Bcc or Cc as required then in the Recipient box - Select All - Cut - then Paste in the Bcc or Cc box. Not especially elegant, but better than nothing.
@Bob
It would be nice to have a drop-down menu on the "Compose mail to" for Cc or Bcc when multiple addresses have been selected, or separate buttons that become active when multiple addresses are selected. Don't know if that's possible.