cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message SMTP 552

Woody

Error message SMTP 552

I have been trying the Roundcube out now for a few days, I tried to reply to an email this morning and I get the following error;
SMTP Error: [552] BmHq1i0011sg6PG01mHr67 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.
Using the old webmail I could reply without issue.
Something else;
The Spam icon needs changing, not a logical choice to have a recycle bin.
Many thanks,
Ian.
7 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Error message SMTP 552

To help PlusNet can you post the Full Header with your e-mail address munged
[Edit]
Or
Open a ticket with your e-mail's Full Header, and post the ticket number on here.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Quote from: Woody
I have been trying the Roundcube out now for a few days, I tried to reply to an email this morning and I get the following error;
SMTP Error: [552] BmHq1i0011sg6PG01mHr67 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

That's nothing to do with the new Webmail platform. It's because our outbound anti-spam appliances consider (probably the content) of the email to be spam.
Using the old webmail I could reply without issue.

That's because the old Webmail has a local 'Exim' instance that accepts the message and hands it over to the outbound anti-spam appliances. If they then reject it, there's nothing in the old system to tell you this. It will just look as if the message has been sent (although it won't arrive at it's destination).
You'd get the same 552 error if you tried sending the email via a local email client like Outlook if you were sending via our servers.
The Spam icon needs changing, not a logical choice to have a recycle bin.

We could change this I suppose if/when we next look at the skin we're using. What would you suggest in its place?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

drj
Aspiring Pro

The word "Spam" ?  Or "Report Spam" ? 
After all, the use of symbols isn't particularly necessary in the context of an UK-based webmail service - unlike, for example, road signs where non-native speakers need to understand them.  Under this box it says "Post" and "Preview" - highly understandable. Above it says "Reply    Notify of replies    Mark unread    Send this topic    Print" alongside symbols - I'd be hard-pressed to understand "Mark unread" without the text - and "Notify" and "Send this topic" aren't particularly obvious either.
Perhaps you could have options for symbols or text or both?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Looks like icon labels may well be planned for a future release.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

drj
Aspiring Pro

I see it's taken three years so far!   Undecided
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Yes, but now that it's scheduled into a release it looks like it will get worked on. Tongue
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@Bob
With regards to the SMTP Error: [552] this issue with Cloudmark really needs sorting. I've noticed people on the main Email board reporting similar problems.