cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Adjust Column Widths - Full Date Unreadable

Capvermell
Grafter

Can't Adjust Column Widths - Full Date Unreadable

I expect there is a thread on this here already somewhere but I couldn't see it so hence this post.
Basically I have been using Betawebmail for a few weeks ever since my last laptop computer died in early January and while I spent several weeks deciding what to replace it with whilst using an elderly Pentium 4 Mobile that had been retired (due to case damage) temporarily.
Even though the Roundcube product is to me much better than Squirrelmail there are frustrations.
Amongst these is the column width where I can't for the life of me see how to change the width so the date field isn't truncated in the Inbox field.
Can anyone else here possible set me right on this or is there no way to do it.
20 REPLIES
jojopillo
Grafter

Re: Can't Adjust Column Widths - Full Date Unreadable

Hi Capvermell,
I've just tried adjusting the size of the field and I can't do that either, but my date field is fine, can you post a screen shot so I can see what you mean?
Jojo Smiley
Capvermell
Grafter

I really don't have the time to prove that I'm telling you the truth by getting my camera, organising server space for the files etc!  But I am telling the truth.
Currently on unread messages I can't read the minutes part of the date and time display in Roundcube webmail which are instead shown as .. because they are truncated by the column width.  If you try and hover over the column border and drag it wider the system won't let you do it.    It will let you drag the whole column to a new place to change column order.
There are no Settings anywhere else for the end user to control the column width.  In fact there are hardly any user configurable options at all in this implementation of Roundcube and most that do exist are badly thought out as you must save these options screen by screen as if you don't and go on to the next Settings screen those settings are then lost.
adie:quote
jojopillo
Grafter

Yes, I can see that it won't adjust and I'll certainly mention that. By the way, to take a picture of your screen you don't need a camera or server space. Have a look here for some instructions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think you are going to have to do a screen dump to prove this.
I have the Firefox Firesizer add-on and tried setting the screen size right down to 800x600 and the date still displayed correctly (see attached screen shot).
Have you set your browser to use larger fonts? That was the only way I could reproduce what you are describing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Joanne
By the way, to take a picture of your screen you don't need a camera or server space. Have a look here for some instructions.

Once you saved the screen shot to your local disk, when you compose a post click the Additional Options and Attachments... below and you can attach the image as I have done in my previous reply without having to upload it to a website first.
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you set your browser to use larger fonts? That was the only way I could reproduce what you are describing.

Yes I have set it to use larger fonts and no I am not getting these kind of issues with any other websites or mail clients (eg GMX  or Orange webmail where I also have email accounts) apart from the Roundcube webmail one.
The problem could be easily resolved if I could user define how wide the columns are on screen but this lousy Roundcube application doesn't let you do that.  I don't have this problem when using an ancient webmail client favoured by a few keen nut eaters where I believe I can also alter the column width to what I want it or need it to be.
Almost any webmail client I have ever come across apart from this one lets you define how wide the various different columns for different items are on screen.
Capvermell
Grafter

I see that nobody seems interested in taking this further so I assume that Roundcube just doesn't let you alter the column widths and therefore doesn't handle large fonts in Windows 7 or other versions of Windows?
Pretty poor show as far as I can see.  Why can't I drag any column to be as wide or as narrow as I want like I can in almost any other email or database or spreadsheet applications that sorts lists and/or data by columns?
Community Veteran

I would suggest you ask about it here: http://www.roundcubeforum.net/forum.php
If a version of Roundcube was released with this feature it's highly likely Plusnet would implement it.
(In the past Plusnet has significantly modified off the shelf software itself. This led to them not implementing new releases made by the original developers because of the extra work required to update/reapply the Plusnet changes. I sincerely hope Plusnet keep the level of modification they make to Roundcube to a minimum to avoid such difficulties)
Capvermell
Grafter

Found this at http://www.roundcubeforum.net/3-news-announcements/12-general-discussion/4615-column-width-configura... but I'm not exactly sure how to implement it.
Either seems a lot of hassle to have start messing around with CSS style sheets instead of being able to just easily expand or contract column widths through the user interface.
I now wait for the usual quiver of arrows from the forum massochists who clearly take pleasure in hard to use applications that only they can work out how to change to a format that is convenient.
Community Veteran

What is described in the link you gave is applying the change at the server level which would mean that it would change it for ALL users - obviously that is out of the question as everyone who does not increase the font sizes (the vast majority of users) will be happy.
What you'd have to do is use something like stylish on Firefox to customise the way the site looks in your browser.
I'd agree that having the column sizes dragable would be an improvement, so if there is nothing like that on the Roundcube forums I'd suggest you post it as a suggestion.
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'd agree that having the column sizes dragable would be an improvement, so if there is nothing like that on the Roundcube forums I'd suggest you post it as a suggestion.

Roundcube seems to date from pre BT Plusnet days and was probably picked just because it was cheap.  The fact that it still lacks such basic configurable features suggests to me its not  much good,    A look at what is available at gmx,com shows what can be done with a webmail client.
Why doesn't Plusnet simply source the best possible webmail package in the market as it did for spam filtering with Ironport after all the numerous previous fiascos on member email details being raided by the world's leading email spammers,
Returning to the column width for date and time if it is made wide enough for those of us with large fronts in the master style sheet that surely won't have any adverse consequences for those using normal size fonts as their column setting will just give a little space on each side of the date,.
Community Veteran

I can absolutely guarantee that if the width of the date column was increased there would be complaints that the full title of the email was not displayed when there was unused space in the date column.
Capvermell
Grafter

The Subject field is enormous so I can't see anyone complaining about that.
I personally reckon you are just trying to boost your already enormous post count in this forum.
Surely there must be something more interesting to amuse you like going out and looking at a few daffodils?>
jim:quote
Community Veteran

I've just checked. At 1024x768 I have 7 emails in my inbox where the subject doesn't fit. No way is imposing your needs (only needed because you use non-standard font size and not as the site is designed) on all users acceptable!