cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advert for PN competitor on Login page

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Advert for PN competitor on Login page

Are the adverts on the login page going to stay there? Yesterday I was on site and used the beta webmail. I was very surprised to be presented with an advert for a service which is a direct competitor with one of the parts of the PN group.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
19 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Advert for PN competitor on Login page

Hi Jelv, any chance you can drop me a PM with a bit more detail of the adverts please? We blocked those on Monday last week so if any are still getting through we need to get those sorted as well.
Thanks very much.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I experienced the same as jelv during the evening of 24/12/11. PM sent.
Community Veteran

I had the same but now OK thanks.
I also noted that betawebmail did not suffer from this from the outset!!
Happy Christmas to all @PN Towers, especially those who are keeping it all going!!
Grin  Kiss  Cheesy
csogilvie
Grafter

Adverts

I'm wondering what the reasoning behind having adverts on the Webmail page is... particularly non-relevant ones like Tesco.
This seems a bit strange to me...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Adverts

Post deleted
(irrelevant since topics merged)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Topics merged as it is really the same subject
Community Veteran

When I logged out of RC this evening ~2045ish, there it was, that VM ad again!! Don't recall what the ad was before I logged in, but it wasn't VM.
Community Veteran

I had one for flights to the USA from Manchester Airport - mind you I had to disable Adblock Plus to see it
Community Veteran

Now, that's interesting, at this time of posting, all the ad's have gone!!
Community Veteran

That is probably because they have cancelled them all due to snow  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mine currently showing adverts, all relating to received emails.  Something going on?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Ads were back when I checked again around the same time as your post. I think you'll find the ads are related to websites you've visited, similar to experiences you may have with Hotmail, Yahoo and various other web pages where ads appear. I've recently visited some energy sites and am now being inundated by ads for that company of french origins whose main UK bases are the SW and London! If I went and deleted a load of cookies, no doubt I'd get random ads instead! Googlemail target some of there ads based on keywords it finds in your emails! They do tell you in their privacy (sic)  policies. Perhaps the emails you got resulted from your website visits?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have had that problem recently as well, the  adverts came from America and went quite deep into my usage, not just the company, but in my case an individual holiday cottage in Co Durham
also all the snooping top a lot of time I have a firefox plug in that shows me the side programs running, cant remember its name, it has a 4 in the address bar came up with this lot on a local site
PN forum only has googleanalytics runnin
Is that Hacking and illegal?
Community Veteran

It's not so much hacking as tracking. This use of cookies has existed for a long time. You need to read the policies about cookies on every website you go to if you want to know what each does. A friend of mine is so hot on privacy/big brother behaviour (paranoid  Crazy), he doesn't allow permanent cookies or session cookies unless absolutely necessary to make a website work, and then deletes any after if not needed for a return visit (eg. cookies that help with login etc).
Grandchildren were here yesterday searching on Ebay for Steering Wheels for PC's etc. Today I'm getting Ebay ads for Steering Wheels,  Xboxes and the like  Grin