cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to Betawebmail

Community Veteran

Access to Betawebmail

Hi Bob!
Got tired of "waiting for webmail.plus.net today so went over to betawebmail.plus.net instead. All I got was "Cannot fine server" which was odd. Went back to forum to see what was happening and read your newish posts about the future of the trial. Was not sure if the system was still in peration, perhaps requiring fresh registration or something. But tried the link on your top line to log in and up it came!
Inbox looks good but did not time to explore more (SWMBO trouble). Will take particular notice of Address Book which I ha commented on previously. I still favour the SM version for my needs and hope that some commonality might be possible..
I will come back yo you when i have time.
Colin
14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: Access to Betawebmail

Thanks for the feedback Colin!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Bob
Roundcube or your so called Better Web Mail still does not comply with the Disability Discrimination Act, I can not use a Text Reader on Roundcube, so for people like me who want to check there eMail's online with Web Mail before Downloading them to there Computer they will not be able to!
If you offer a service it must be available to all your customers not just 99% of them, Roundcube is no good for some of your customers, so you can not offer Roundcube as a service, or you are breaching the Disability Discrimination Act end of!
So Drop It, Until it does comply with the Disability Discrimination Act that is until All your customers can use it!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Gary,
Roundcube is going to run alongside SquirrelMail for a while whilst we gather feedback. Obviously we'll take your comments on board along with others in this thread. It's worth remembering that webmail is just 1 way of collecting your email, it's your choice to use it instead of an email client and a choice we are not forcing on anyone. If people want to use an email client locally such as Thunderbird or Outlook then they can, webmail just offers more choice.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gary,
The services Plusnet offer for reading emails are via POP3 or IMAP interfaces to the users mailboxes. As these don't have user interfaces the DDA is irrelevant.
There are many, many methods for accessing POP3 or IMAP mailboxes using email client software running locally or webmail interfaces. Plusnet provides configuration guidance for some of the common email clients and also provides a webmail interface. It is the users responsibility to choose the method that suits his needs and if DDA compliance is a requirement they should make their choice bearing that in mind.
BTW - is Gmail DDA compliant?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Chris, Why don't you keep SquirrelMail and run alongside it for who wants it Roundcube?
Then you will be offering Webmail for All your customers, not just 99% of them.

@jelv , If PlusNet offers Webmail for there customers it must be for all there customers not 99% of them, Downloading to the computer using POP3 or IMAP with say Outlook Express is Irrelevant.
As for Gmail I don't know if it is compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act, I don't use it, and won't use it!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@jelv - Gary doesn't do 'Google' services - see this amusing thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96840.0.html
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Midnight
@Chris, Why don't you keep SquirrelMail and run alongside it for who wants it Roundcube?

Roundcube will probably become the default offering in January. SquirrelMail will run alongside Roundcube until mid next year'ish. Beyond that point it's not looking like it's going to be overly practical to carry on offering both services. We will obviously check to see who's still using Squirrel before making any decision to turn it off however I suspect the numbers will be very low.
Then you will be offering Webmail for All your customers, not just 99% of them.

As alluded to by others, we provide customers with a pretty flexible email service and our Webmail offering is just one method of accessing it. If you're dependent on screen reading software then try some of the alternatives. Whether that's IMAP access using a standalone email application, or accessing your Plusnet mail using a third party Webmail application like GMail or Mail2Web (probably the latter in your case if you've an aversion to Google).
@jelv , If PlusNet offers Webmail for there customers it must be for all there customers not 99% of them, Downloading to the computer using POP3 or IMAP with say Outlook Express is Irrelevant.

I make no claims to know the ins and outs of said act, but I'm probably with Jelv on this one. It's not a million miles away from us offering something like Plusnet Protect that only Windows customers can use (I'd imagine Windows won't have a more than a 99% OS share amongst our customers). OK, so the principal's not quite the same but you could still consider the service to be selective.
I'm of the opinion that Roundcube will work satisfactorily for the vast majority of users. For any it doesn't work so well for, alternatives will almost always be available. How did screen readers cope with earlier iterations of our Webmail service? Namely the original in-house solution and AtMail? I'm guessing all that's required is for you to have the ability to highlight blocks of text?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
I'm guessing all that's required is for you to have the ability to highlight blocks of text?

If you mean copy and paste in to the clipboard, the answer is Yes.
But you can not do that with Roundcube.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just tried that
Copy and Paste into txt file no problem
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Oldjim, You can not do it with the titles of the emails, or on the buttons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is copy and paste of the whole header
Subject test for webmail
Sender <me>Add contact
Recipient fred@<me>.co.ukAdd contact
Date Today 19:22
The add contacts are the buttons which isn't particularly helpful - a gap between them and the text would be useful for you

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Examples of where you can not use the Text Reader Attached
[Edit]
Using Mozilla Firefox  v8.0.1
and Same with Internet Explorer v6
Screen Shot wile using Mozilla Firefox
Firefox still stinks
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I understand what Gary's saying here. I downloaded a free text reader and it was dependent on being able to highlight blocks of text. This isn't possible with certain elements that rely on Javascript etc. You can switch off styling in your browser to get around this but it kind of renders the page a bit of a mess!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Thank you for understanding what I was saying.