cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yet another what on earth is going on with plusnet! info just not consistant

hali39
Hooked

yet another what on earth is going on with plusnet! info just not consistant

why  is it that plusnet advertises one set of prices and  speeds on its website but then when u sign up sends you an email confirming a completely different package..........
its website says plusnet premium is  the following
Plusnet Premium is £11.99 a month for the first three months. If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay £15.99 every month. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £19.99 a month thereafter.
Having checked my cost area which is a low cost area my intial 3months cost should be £11.99 and £15.99 there after but this is not what the email sent to me says. in additon the speed quoted in the email is 8mb exactly what i am supposedly on now and the page http://www.plus.net/?home=hometop says up to 20MB
but plus net emailed me to say my new premium plusnet package was as follows......
Broadband Product Plusnet Premium
Monthly Subscription £15.99
After 3 month(s) your subscription will change to £19.99
This is your account type and monthly subscription.
Estimated speed 8 Mbps
WHAT ON EARTH is going on with plusnet. anyone else had this problem? if so please add a response so they we can at least make a stand on ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
6 REPLIES 6
jonathand
Dabbler

Re: yet another what on earth is going on with plusnet! info just not consistant

Thank you for raising your concerns.
I'll take a look at what's going on and will post an update this afternoon with my findings.
misha
Dabbler

Re: yet another what on earth is going on with plusnet! info just not consistant

I had this problem as well when changing from Broadband Your Way Option 1 ( Monthly Contract ) at £9.75 pcm to Plusnet Value at £5.99 pcm and I am in a low cost area.
My confirmation E-Mail told me I had joined Broadband Option 1 !!! which I had changed from and after contacting Support Services they said this was incorrect and I had transferred successfully.
Then on the transfer date I had another E mail giving the same details !!! Support services contacted and they said £5.99 pcm was my new contract price and as I am in low cost area  it would not increase after 3 months, BUT they could not send me another confimation e-mail as it was an automated service and could not be altered!!!!
Obviously whoever input the initial infomation had done it wrong but that does not help us the paying customer or bode well for the future. Huh 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My confirmation E-Mail told me I had joined Broadband Option 1 !!! which I had changed from and after contacting Support Services they said this was incorrect and I had transferred successfully.

@misha, Yes a number of people have had this situation ( including me ). It's just a problem with the automated emails having the wrong information in them, the account has the correct information. Agreed though, it doesnt really inspire confidence when you get the wrong info.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well after all the criticism after the product changes earlier in the year I hope Plusnet still aren't dropping a similar clangers with the e-mail.
With regard to the speeds, I have a sneaky feeling this is a case of the users not understanding what "upto 8M" & "upto20M" etc mean. You must read Note 1 under other Stuff you should know.
This method of "advertising" if that is the best way of describing it, is used throughout the Industry whoever is the ISP (and depends on the package) & is regulated by OFCOM..
Since new OFCOM regulations, all ISP's are now required to provide an estimate of what speed your line will support and if you are too far from the exchange you may get slower speeds. That said, a lot of estimates err on the pessimistic side, so you may do better!
jonathand
Dabbler

Quote from: jonathand
I'll take a look at what's going on and will post an update this afternoon with my findings.

I'm just awaiting a couple of bits of information. I'll look to post a full answer in the morning, once I have them to hand.
jonathand
Dabbler

Hi, sorry for the late posting.
To confirm, you are in a market 3 area, so you'll be paying £15.99 a month for your broadband service.
The lead price wasn't available to you when you changed products, it's just a straight switch over to the new pricing. There's a problem already raised with our developers to correct this. The account change process shows the correct information, it's the email that's incorrect here.
There's also been a problem with the email referring to pricing details for the product being changed from, rather than to, which is also what happened in misha's case. That was fixed earlier this week.
Finally, the speed estimate for your line is for the ADSL (up to 8Mb) service, rather than the ADSL2+ (up to 20Mb) service. In some cases, we can't get data back from the ADSL2+ line checker, so rather than give no result, we'll fall back to the ADSL data. In cases such as yours, obviously you'll see a lower estimate than the speed you'd actually be able to receive. A check on your line at the moment gives an estimated speed of 14Mb. (I'd expect you to see a change in profile to something around that value once your line has settled.)
Please note that the estimate is only that, it doesn't affect the speed of the service you'll receive, it merely acts as an indicator. We try and be as accurate as we can, but tend to err on the side of caution if there are difficulties with the system.
Thanks again for raising your concerns and I'm sorry for any problems you've experienced because of them.