Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

Re: very poor service and a warning re 21cn "upgrade"

Quote from: Joanne
Hi toutlemonde,
I could put you on ADSL1 on 21CN  which works pretty similar to 20CN
Jojo Smiley

As I previously posted, Jojo made this change to my connection and it has remained stable.
Dan.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Jojo, thanks for the info.
Dan, your line is no where near as long, your local conditions will be completely different, as well as any differences resulting from modem/router & MSAN interaction.
toutlemonde, if your connection hasn't dropped because of the lightning, depending on how close, I'd be inclined to do a Disconnect and them power down the modem/router to avoid a possible low sync event/raise in Target SNRM/banded speed. Connect up again when it's well passed. Good luck.
Edit: Forgot to answer your question, yes the computer has to be on. I also keep forgetting to ask, are all your filters similar to this "rat's-tail" type?
toutlemonde
Dabbler

thunder seems to have passed but will probably disconnect tonight as more due.
i only have one filter on the telephone line at the extn box and yes its a rats tail.
i presume any change now to ADSL1 by my forcing the router  will interfere with the fixed 800kbps line rate that BT have set?
forgot to ask, whats the difference between ADSL2 and ADSL2+  ?
sorry mr moderator, never considered that a rude word, just slang for drunk! Embarrassed
PMN- had a closer look at 21CN problems generally. only wish i had done this much earlier, there are hundreds of thousands of them. not that it helps but its nice to know i am not one of a small minority. cannot believe this has not had more mainstream media coverage. it really should be renamed 19cn - will certainly not be holding on to my bt shares for too long - it must hit the fan sometime.
Anotherone
Champion

Grin don't worry about words that appear in the swear word dictionary, the censoring is automatic, not human. It's when you try to bypass it by doing things like spelling it as p eye double fiv-ed (if you follow me), then you might get told off  Roll_eyes
What makes you think your sync speed is fixed to 800kbps, you aren't banded or if you were, you aren't on the upper limit?
ADSL2=upto 12M;  ADSL2+=upto 24M on paper.
Give it a try and see what happens, do it soon though, before dusk approaches.
toutlemonde
Dabbler

ok, so waiting for plusnet to switch me to adsl1.
believe line is fixed at 700kbps not 800 as i stated - think its due to SNR fixed at 6dbs.
sorry to play it safe but:  slow broadband is bad, no broadband is a disaster for me as i work from home!
will keep you posted
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi toutlemonde,
I've just checked and can confirm that the order is complete, though from checking your profiles on BTs side I'd guess it's just setting itself up and training. This shouldn't take anything like 10 days but we're not seeing any detail on the line apart from the profile, which is currently showing at 705kb/s - we should have more detail tomorrow (hopefully).
It looks like interleaving has been on since the end of April, not sure why the errors have increased recently though unless it's part of the training period previously mentioned.
I hope things settle for you and the speed improves.
toutlemonde
Dabbler

speed is about 100kbps up compared with adsl2+ at 800kbps, but want to see what its like during the busy evening period. last night shortly after change it was <500kbps so need further time to analyse whether actually better overall or not. actual page d/load time is no different except at speeds <500k.
so another 24hr watch!
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure if you are missing the point here, it's your sync speeds you need to be looking at, download speeds will follow once profiles are updated, unless you have a congestion issue which will be nothing to do with your sync to the exchange.
toutlemonde
Dabbler

sync rate has increased from a fixed 800kbps on adsl2+  to 896kbps currently on adsl1- started out immediately after switch at 790.
snr is remaining at 6dbs +/- 1db
attainable rate has increased from 1150kbps on adsl2+ to 1376kbps on adsl1
agreed with plusnet to remain on adsl1 for  a further 24hrs to see if  any further improvement.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Certainly hope it does improve further, that's looking good. Thanks for the update.