cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upto 4 hours email downtime agreed... nearly 60 hours later... not happy!

audioc
Dabbler

upto 4 hours email downtime agreed... nearly 60 hours later... not happy!

I had a problem with my mailboxes & redirects (question id: 30547127) -when I tried to set up a new re-direct, I was told by the portal the name was either in use, or reserved.
I did a search- came back blank/ empty. So I raised a ticket.
I eventually received a phone call Monday night, advising me that to fix the issue would take upto 4 hours. After a discussion, I understood that there was a problem with the DB and it needed to be rebuilt. At most I'd lose 4 hours of email (never going to get it back)- this would affect all mailboxes and re-directs...
The next morning I logged into webmail- find all my mails there from the previous day, so I sent out a test email to all the redirects and mailboxes. I logged in to one of them to check the mail was received ok.
Nope.
I sent an email from my work's email address. Not received it either. Sent an email from the primary email address- that came through. So it appears I can send, but not receive. I've updated the ticket with each new finding....
I tried to contact support via the phone (on my mobile) several times waiting upto 15 minutes for a connection then having to end the call due to work Sad
I did manage to get through once, and they had to transfer me (from South Africa?) to Sheffield to someone more technical... who then routed the ticket again internally, hopefully onto the correct department. I then waited....
I found the 0114 number through the forums (at least it will not cost me for my calls now) and I asked if any idea on a resolution; whether incoming mails were being queued, or whether I've actually lost a LOT of email- the support person couldn't answer. I felt as though the conversation was possibly a waste of time- felt I'd got nowhere.
I've been a Force9 (plus net) customer since 1997- had few issues with their service, as such- any issue I have had has been typically resolved in reasonable time, if not almost instantly.
This, though, is "annoying" to say the least.
Anyone know how I can get my ticket "escalated"? 4 hours was bad enough, and I agreed to it, but this now is getting beyond a joke!
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re:upto 4 hours email downtime agreed... nearly 60 hours later... not happy!

I'll take a look at this now...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: upto 4 hours email downtime agreed... nearly 60 hours later... not happy!

Right here's the situation:
You're mail database entries are incomplete so the system only knows about 16 of your mailboxes/redirects etc. This means that email sent to any other addresses has been going to the the catch-all. You had this switched off so mail would have been getting bounced back to the sender with a 'mailbox not found' error.
I have tried rebuilding your maildb entries again and have also switched your catch-all back on so that email doesn't get bounced (although it will be going into the same default mailbox until we manage to get this fixed).
The refresh taking four hours is because of the amount of redirects you have. Most of these seem to go to a spam@ address. Do you really need these? Can't we just keep your 11 mailboxes, disable the catch-all and then delete these redirects? That way you would *only* get email addressed specifically to your mailboxes and everything else would get bounced. If we can do this then I reckon I can have your mail working again in a couple of minutes?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

audioc
Dabbler

Re: upto 4 hours email downtime agreed... nearly 60 hours later... not happy!

thanks for the response;
I'll reply to the ticket with regards this so as not to put information in here that everyone can read; I'll also add my mobile number in case you guys need to call me.
Thanks
Andy