cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed worse than dial up for over a week, no replies to ticket UPDATED line info

winterjasmine
Dabbler

Re: speed worse than dial up for over a week, no replies to ticket UPDATED line info

current line speed 250.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: speed worse than dial up for over a week, no replies to ticket UPDATED line info

You need to run a BT speed test and see what speed it says for your IP Profile (ignore everything else it says). That should be a lot more than 250. You then need to ring support and ask them to set your current line speed to match your IP Profile. Don't take any nonsense from them about waiting 3 days or rebooting the router - they can just push a few buttons. Once they have done that you may need to reconnect once if you don't see an immediate improvement.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: jelv
. Don't take any nonsense from them about waiting 3 days or rebooting the router - they can just push a few buttons. Once they have done that you may need to reconnect once if you don't see an immediate improvement.

And tell `em.... "jelv said so".....  Wink
winterjasmine
Dabbler

tried, there is a fault on the site apparently. grrrr! I will try again later but also it is impossible to get hold of customer services during normal hours and I am by now petrified of disconnecting the router!!
winterjasmine
Dabbler

Results, profile is up, sped is not!!!!
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
212 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 212 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7648 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What does your ""plusnet" profile say?  on your members page Login, then go to  "connection settings" , (on the left hand menu)  then go to "Highspeed broadband.".......
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You don't need to disconnect the router from the line just disconnect from Plusnet - this doesn't mean a resync.
If you aren't sure how to do it please advise router and someone will be able to assist
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Excellent - you are making progress.
Now ring support and ask them to set your current line speed to 6500 to match your IP Profile. Normally it automatically updates within 12 hours of the IP Profile changing, but that might not happen as normal following a SNR reset.
winterjasmine
Dabbler

plusnet profile still 250, theres a surprise! Over 10 mins waiting time for customer support at the moment so may try later How do i disconnect just from plusnet?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

as I said - which router
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That is not going to help until the current line speed says 6500 on the portal.
(NB The waiting times messages on the phones are sometimes inaccurate - looking at http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212 people are not waiting long at the moment)
winterjasmine
Dabbler

router is lynksys wag160N
Oldjim
Resting Legend

i haven't a clue but the bit you want to disconnect is the Internet Connection (the PPoA bit which includes the Plusnet login) not the DSL bit
winterjasmine
Dabbler

quite a few calls waiting at the moment.
OT my mum and dad met through a rambling club, I climbed Cat Bells when I was 4!
winterjasmine
Dabbler

Got through and have been promised it will be done overnight.....