cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sloooowiiinnng dooowwwwnnnn...

whistler
Grafter

sloooowiiinnng dooowwwwnnnn...

When I first started with PN (beginning of the year) I regularly got 4Mb/s download - how sweet was that? I used to get just 1 with T/TT - they used to tell me it was down to my exchange, so firstly PN - Thanks - I guess you must have thrown in a new exchange free of charge. Anyway - I digress. Now it's down pretty much to less than 2Mb/s. Worse, it seems I now have to wait longer and longer for a site - pick a site - any site, to come up. For example it took nearly twenty seconds to get onto the forum here with the old "waiting for community.plus.com" in the status bar (firefox). Then another 20 to 30 secs waiting to get the New Topic page up. Like I say - just about any site is the same now - used to be virtually instant. Any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10
Mand
Grafter

Re: sloooowiiinnng dooowwwwnnnn...

Hi there,
Your profile changed to 2000 on May 1st (after being stable at 5500 for 3 months exactly).
What speed is your router connecting at (you can find this in your router control panel)? What does a BT Speedtest say?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you are not sure how to get your router stats, this helps http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
whistler
Grafter

Hi Mand
Quote from: Mand
Your profile changed to 2000 on May 1st (after being stable at 5500 for 3 months exactly).

Sorry - don't know what this means.
What speed is your router connecting at (you can find this in your router control panel)?

Do you mean this? Upstream 448 (Kbps.) Downstream 4832 (Kbps.)
What does a BT Speedtest say?

LOL - it say's I havn't got java installed - and frankly I'd prefer it if it stays that way  Wink
Mand
Grafter

The profile controls your throughput (your download speed).
In your case it used to be 5500 (giving a maximum download speed of 5.5Mb), but it changed to 2000 (giving a maximum download speed of 2Mb).
Much as I hate Java too, I need the speedtest results before I can take this further for you I'm afraid. Sad
whistler
Grafter

BT speedtest reults are as follows.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1787 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1787 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4832 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

So.... waddya reckon doc?
Mand
Grafter

I reckon a reboot will now give you speeds closer to 4Mb. Wink
That's the best you're gonna get on your current speeds, but it should go up a bit more over the next couple of weeks if it stays stable.
whistler
Grafter

I reckon a reboot will now give you speeds closer to 4Mb. Wink
That's the best you're gonna get on your current speeds

4Mb/s will do fine. But what do you mean? - I will get such and such a speed at my current speed? - That sounds like a circular definition to me.
but it should go up a bit more over the next couple of weeks if it stays stable.

So what is it that makes IT stable or unstable? - I don't get why it changes.

But why?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Whistler,
1) This is because BT (well, the BT exchange equipment you're connected to) sets your line profile according to your sync speed. Generally you need a sync speed at least 500k above the profile, but this varies - a full table of the profiles and the sync speeds required can be found on kitz's website.
2) Interference on the line is the main cause of stability issues - either REIN (electrical interference), breaks in the insulation, could be anything really.
3) This will be because of a drop/several drops in connection and you reconnecting at a lower sync speed. The exchange equipment picks up these disconnections and drops the speed in order to compensate, as slower lines are less susceptible to interference and drops.
Hope that helps,
whistler
Grafter

Hi Matt
Thanks for that - Kind of explains things... kind of . Does seem a bit sledge hammer to crack a nut. I can't believe something's changed to the extent that my speed needs dropping by half. Also Mand recommended a reboot - so how do I know that's not going to say to BT - oops - line drop - slow this puppy down even more?
Mand
Grafter

One reboot won't make it reduce your speed, and rebooting in the morning is the best time to do it. Smiley