cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

riddle me this if you will

whistler
Grafter

riddle me this if you will

I've just taken a call from a nice lady from PN asking me if I'd like to upgrade my package from the "old" 10 gig limited I'm on to the "new unlimited" package i.e. un-capped package. No problem so far. Nice of you to ask.
As a part of her patter, she then asked me what I thought of the speed of the service I currently get to which I replied - "ok I suppose". Meaning I know it's about as good as I can expect for what I pay, the infrastructure involved and actually ok for what I do - i.e. general browsing.
However, sensing no doubt that I wasn't keen I was then told by the nice lady that if I chose to upgrade, the advantage wasn't just that I'd be un-capped but that the "quality" of my service would improve. When I asked in what way, she started to waffle a bit including the fact of speed being dependent on "things like" the distance of the exchange from my house. I said I understood that, but jokingly asked if she was implying that if I upgraded, PN would have the exchange moved closer to my house and that as a result my speed would increase. She laughed and said well no but although my speed would not increase if I un-capped, I wouldn't get the "slow-downs" during the day like I probably do now and that "things" would generally "run smoother".
I asked why?
She explained that because my current package is "old", just like anything else - "like an old television for example" she said, it starts to not work as well as it used to.
I suggested to her that if I upgraded and indeed things did "run smoother" or I then "didn't get slowdowns" then it could only be because PN must be deliberately "un-smoothing" things now or deliberately introducing "slowdowns" which would be removed as part of the "un-capping". In short - "packages" don't slow down as they get old - like "an old TV" (whatever that's supposed to mean - a car maybe, me definitely - but a TV? I've GOT an old TV but I've never noticed it slowing down - LOL).
She defended her position and insisted that PN do NOT deliberately cause "slowdowns" or "un-smoothness" with the "old limited package" but that because the new package was - well - new, it would - well - work better.
So I'd be very grateful PN if you'd explain why and how my current package is causing "slowdowns" and "un-smoothness" due to it "getting old" and how that will be be improved by simply removing the 10 gig cap to un-limited.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: riddle me this if you will

Can you PM me details of the call please so I can look further into this.
The current product you are on doesn't come with any restrictions, other than usage. Therefore, the only change to the product that you'd see would be that you'd be on Unlimited.
Sorry for any confusion.
EDIT: No need to PM me, I have a contact on the account with all the details I need.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You need to look at this page http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/ and select the product you have which is probably this one http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet-value-archive.shtml or this one http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_essentials_2013_archive.shtml then look at traffic management as that is the difference compared to the current packages
whistler
Grafter

@plusnettony - thanks for your reply. (I'm assuming you're getting back to me at some point)
@Oldjim - thanks for your reply and the links - I'll comment on them after @plusnettony has got back.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've taken over the ticket on your account. Ideally I need a transcript of the call so that I can see exactly why what was said was said, and confirm if this is a training issue/mistake etc.
I hope to have more information for you for next week.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I've heard similar sales patter before about packages, a company over in Canada (no names mentioned) has people working in their helpdesk who insist they have to limit people's access to the internet with monthly caps as it will "run out" if they don't, as though the internet was a finite resource that will never be seen again, the person they spoke to also happened to work for an internet supplier (but didn't have suitable packages for him at the time) so called bull on their tale, explaining to them that the internet is like a road network, with small country lanes leading to giant superhighways, but they were still adamant the internet will run out if they didn't cap it......... Huh
Needless to say, he's no longer using that company... Grin