Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recent connection problems

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

recent connection problems

now i may be a bit stupid here or maybe i misreading .
as PN servers went down today , fortunately i was out and missed it , i check the service status  page .
what i read is " If you continue to have trouble connecting try the following link which you can access from your mobile phone - http://www.plus.net/reconnect "
! if you lost connection how can you read this ?
! if you dont have a smart mobile how can you see this ?
! I have a smart phone but only connect wifi via my router , or a wifi hotspot  neatest one is 1 mile Maccy D,s .
so if i want to see how to reconnect my router i have go 1 mile to read the page  Crazy i dont have data allowance on my mobile before any ask
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: recent connection problems

There is indeed a MSO, which should now be clear.
The forums are not staffed by PN on Sundays - I have been trying to direct users to the main thread here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134472.0.html
Communicating during a MSO is indeed problematic.  For the user base who do have alternative means of connecting to the internet (and looking at the volume of posts on the forum there are a fair few) then the on-line information takes them away from the phones, thereby reducing the delay for those such as yourself who can only practically contact PN by phone.
Do you have any suggestions on how in such extreme circumstances communications could be better?  To be honest, I think on this occasion alternative communication routes have been much better than in the past.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ceejaydee
Hooked

Struggling today to find out what was actually happening, or more accurately not happening. Not having internet I only had the Customer Service telephone number which merely said there was a service problem and call back later. This prompted me to look to see if there was a service status telephone number which would give a recorded message telling me what the problem was, area affected and how long the internet might be down.
If there is such a number would someone please publish it, if there isn't how about creating one Plusnet?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is indeed  such a number - it is poorly publicised and historically not "populated" when there is a wide spread issue.  PlusNet keep telling us that they will try / ensure that on the "next" occasion that it will be activated.  However it seems that the only people able to "enable" this are the CRT team... who don't work Sundays.
Quote from: Chris
Quote from: I
Thought i would give the PN Service Status Line (0800 917 6714,) a ring, After listening to the message ,that any open issues when be heard after the message, as i thought there was none.
What a great resources the Service Status Line , if only PN could be bothered to use/update it, Is there a reason why the issue is not on there PN?
Regards
Mike

This number is now going to have service effecting issues updated as and when required from today onwards.
I'll also try to get more visibility of this on our website.

On the occasion of the next MSO...
Quote from: Linn
Quote from: Anotherone
As the CRT member on call would be providing a SS message when required out of hours then surely they could be trained to add it to the SS Line until such time as it becomes automated?

This isn't something that we've not considered. The CRT members who are on call and post Service Statuses out of hours will usually do this from home. To update the SS Line requires you to be in the office. We are looking at other options such as another team that has members of the team in the building 24/7 who could potentially take this over until it becomes automated but this is work in progress and something that Chris Purvey is looking into.

Each of the last MSOs have been over a weekend - starting Friday night / Saturday when CRT were not around after 18:00.  Now that their hours have been extended Mo-Sa this MSO occurred on Sunday morning.  Seems like the direct application of Sod's 3rd law - if something can go wrong it will go wrong at the most inconvenient moment.
You are quite correct, the number needs to be more clearly "sign-posted" especially on a MSO and it needs to be made "current" promptly.  I do hope that Jess Booth (head of CRT) picks this up and ensures that the use of the service status phone line is markedly improved and effective 24x7 irrespective of who is "in work".
For future reference the number is 0800 9176714 - what time did you try it?
Quote from: I
Quote from: Stranger
What's the 0800 service number please?

Its 0800 9176714 , and the issue is reported on there , which is good

I am wondering if PN took the message down when they believed the CAUSE of the issue had been RESOLVED without considering that many people would still be suffering the impact consequential to the MSO - BT Stale Sessions - for which there still seems to be no clear systematic remedy.

Hopefully you are not sorted and PlusNet will learn yet more from the 5th MSO since June.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

unfortunately Townman  Going by past performance from PN  Nowt  will change
i have seen so many posts where PN say things will improve , but we are still waiting 
warbleeder
Grafter

Wonders why they don't send updates by text if something like this happens...sure they have most people mobile numbers now
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

PlusNET has no way of knowing which users are impacted - this and the previous MSOs have only impacted about 28% of the user base.  For example, I have not been impacted by any of the events.  Even if texting were viable (technically and financially) it would probably be indiscriminate and give rise to more complaints.
The systems which are there need to be made to work more effectively.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

would be interesting to know if this outage was still the same BNG as previous MSO 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

According to info I have received, yes it was.  Looking at the connection graphs, all of them (running reduced numbers of users) all went on strike together.

warbleeder
Grafter

What would be the harm of sending out a tet saying
We are aware of some users been disconnected and are working on resolving the issue
The on later update: most users should now be back online we are working to restore service to the others....

Better than people bee left in dark and in all fairness its not as bad and the stupid text u get off 02
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@ Townman ,
so basically after 5 MSO PN still haven't got it fixed  Crazy Crazy
hbb98
Dabbler

It may be superstition, but 9 times out of 10, when I have wifi problems in my house (yesterday), it always coincides
with all hell breaking loose with my ISP. And when I look at my ISP status pages (somewhere else), it is always
"problem? What problem? Please turn off all your equipment, stand on one leg, etc..."
I'm a bit disappointed with Plusnet.  My last ISP was full of bland reassurances that nothing had ever gone wrong,
but in the unthinkable event I *might* have been, inconvenienced, stand on one leg, etc.  It's slightly
more polite with plusnet, but just as bland, patronising, and formulaic.
I would appreciate (and pay a bit more, as I do) for honesty, timeliness, and a bit less bland corporate-speak. 
I'm not angry, just tired of it. Disgruntled. I'm used to it. "This Is The Modern World" (was that The Jam?).