cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"see if you can get it" doesn't recognise number or postcode

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

"see if you can get it" doesn't recognise number or postcode

On page https://portal.plus.net/fibre-broadband/ there's a box to enter your phone number or postcode to see if you can get fibre optic boadband.
It recognises neither my phone number nor my postcode, despite the fact we've been with PlusNet for broadband for many years and for phone for a few years. Not that I will be getting it here as we're hoping to move to an area that's not being upgraded till the end of the year, but I was just curious to see what it said.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: "see if you can get it" doesn't recognise number or postcode

Looks like it's broken as it now doesn't recognise either my phone number or postcode but it has before.
Edit: I tried with a space between the area code and the number. It told me fibre wasn't available in my area (I knew that) but that up to 20Mbs was (don't believe that) Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Both are working for me.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried that link and as you said it fails to recognise either my phone number or postcode !
I also checked the previous "Broadband availability check" http://www.plus.net/signup/index.php/residential/standard and that still works.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Hmmm. I tried with all accepted variations of spaces in my phone number but the checker just gives me the same 'unrecognised' message, showing the number with no spaces anywhere. I tried the postcode with and wthout a space in the middle too.
MrC
Grafter

Like strat I found it works if you leave a space between the telephone area code and number, and it also tells me I can get up to 20Mb which is just wrong as we're on plain old ADSL here.
Looks like PN could do with employing some decent system/regression testers before releasing their product updates.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Out of further interest I tried the postcode of the place we hope to move to. Ordinary checker came up with availability and suggested upgrading to fibre, which, unless something has changed since last week, won't be available till the end of the year. Tried the postcode in the fibre optic checker and got the same unrecognised address message.
I recently upgraded my browser to Firefox 4 so wonder if that might be why the fibre checker doesn't work.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Post code or phone number works OK for me. Perhaps it only works for good people Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It won't work for new houses as BT are slow to do updates.
I expect you will find insurance "challenging" too.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's seriously broken.
I tried my number without any spaces and it said that it was not recognised. When I tried with a space it said up to 20 MB was available - 21CN/WBC isn't even scheduled for our Market 1 exchange. Although, given the way the industry uses "up to", I suppose it is telling the truth: "up to 100MB" is available in this village via BT, it's just that no-one will actually get faster than 8MB.
For an accurate result I suggest using https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

House we're hoping to move to isn't new but at least 40 years old - the ordinary checker found it OK.
Current house, which doesn't come up either in the fibre check, is 12 years old and the postcode belongs to nearby Edwardian houses too! Besides which, we brought our telephone number with us here from our previous house where we lived 18 years and where we took it over from the previous owners who were moving out of the area completely.

P.S. BT checker does work OK for current phone number and shows that we could have fibre (if we weren't anticipating a move).
P.P.S. BT checker with postocde of place we hope to move to also shows fibre. Hmmm. Other checkers that list exchanges or where you put in a postcode still show it as not yet available there.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=A Fox is Evil]It won't work for new houses as BT are slow to do updates.
As I said before this checker didn't work for me, and my house is more than 200 years old, was once the site that housed the original telephone exchange for the area, and was the village Post Office for decades, so BT and the GPO should know about it !  Shocked
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup didnt recogonise my post code or phone    Embarrassed  Grin    Bradford west yorkshire
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Thanks for pointing this out, it's the same for me so I'll get a problem raised and see if there's someone can look into it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm seems like there's some issues with the line checker on our suppliers' side of things. One of our developers is already looking into it but I suspect we're waiting on them for a fix I'm afraid. We'll update you as soon as we can. Thanks again for the heads up though.