cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We will do you proud".

mikesalway

"We will do you proud".

I think that advertisement could well fall foul of trading standards.
I was not proud of the fact it took me 30 minutes to get through to customer services a couple of days ago. When I actually managed to speak to someone, they then wanted me to go on hold again to transfer me onto another department. At that stage I gave up as I had enough of their "service" by this time. My experience was worse than dealing with BT.  Angry
10 REPLIES 10
Anon
Pro

Re: "We will do you proud".

I have raised tickets that have waited ages for any response and then I have not been notified by email that a response has been made. Obviously want the ticket just to close without the customer seeing it. Can't get my referral money paid. They are useless shower.
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
x47c
Grafter

So report the advert to the ASA
https://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx
Let us know how you get on.....
Alternatively stop believing advertising
- what does "we will do you proud" mean: Nothing - its is just random words
a bit like "honest broadband from Plusnet" what that mean - nothing more than it is not illegal broadband from Plusnet!
As has been said on here umpteen times Plusnet is now a mass market ISP aimed at the LOWEST price sector of the market.
So you get a service appropriate to that level - rubbish mostly.
But none seems to care about this, much less actually think about why the price might be that low
All that anyone seems interested in is low prices so the companies just provide what the market as a whole wants.............
If you do want a better service you buy a business grade line which surprise surprise costs more or for really super service you go to a niche ISP supplier such as AAISP - However looking at their prices charged for having such a top rated service will leave you running for the loo as you will cr*p yourself.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

it's a marketing slogan.
get over it !
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:
    including false or deceptive messages"
The above is a selective copy and paste from https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising.
Saying that the words "We will do you proud" are actually meaningless (X47c's post) is unreasonable as the sense of a phrase in English comes from far more than the bare words. "I am all ears" has a meaning to most English speaking people that is very different from the bare words. Translate those words directly into another language and it no longer makes anything like the sense most English people would take from it. The same is true of "We will do you proud". The phrase means far more than the sum of the words.
It has a traditional meaning and I accept that nowadays, there is an alternative interpretation that may be more accurate in Plusnet's case at the moment.
I accept that Plusnet are cheap - that is unquestionably true. I am not sure that that should be used as an excuse for providing rubbish service unless you advertise that you provide rubbish service. If Plusnet choose to advertise that their service will make me proud to be a customer then their service should do just that. Do phone queues of 30 minutes make me proud? Does a billing system that cannot be stopped from taking money when no service is being provided make me proud? Does an order system that does not know when an order has been rejected make me proud. No to all of them.
In my opinion, these adverts should be withdrawn.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you are, of course, free to go to another ISP that may do you proud.
Empirical
Grafter

"We'll do you proud" is undefinable and subjective which means its pretty difficult if not impossible for it to fall foul of ASA or the law.
m00min
Dabbler

It's meaningless marketing waffle. They can't really say "Plusnet, we'll treat you like [Censored] and our customer service is nonexistent". Doesn't have the same ring really.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of swear filter edited as per forum rule.
philr05

just reading this post ,and i too have had cause to ring the help line. On both occasions it was a wait time of 20 and 30 mins respectively. I was told this in the phone message. What i do have to point out is when i did get through, nothing was to much trouble for the operator.  I was actually on the phone for about an hour to him, which means they do all they can to help. as a new customer to plus net and moved from Talk talk i can tell you that the customer service is first class compared to Talk Talk which is realy non existent. Working on a Tech support line myself i do understand it is frustrating but people should realy try to understanding to the person on the other end who is trying to help everybody on an equal term.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chenks76
you are, of course, free to go to another ISP that may do you proud.

Thank you. I would never have thought of this possibility without your kind intervention to point it out.
At present my internet is working as well as it ever does mostly thanks to Openreach for providing and maintaining the wiring and the exchanges that my connection goes through. Should that cease to be the case, then I may well take up your suggestion. I have succeeded in finding a phone provider considerably cheaper than the norm who answers the phone within a ring or two, who organise repairs swiftly and efficiently and who keep me informed of progress. They provide the service level that I expect at a price below that demanded by others. In other words - they do me proud. Maybe I can find an ISP with the same abilities. Likely alternatives cannot be much worse than Plusnet though they can certainly be more expensive.
@ Empirical.
If you think about it most things outside mathematics are subjective. The law certainly bases decisions on what an average person would consider reasonable, that is, it accepts decisions based on judgement. I doubt if an average person would think a 60 minute wait for  a phone to be answered is reasonable especially if that is a regular thing. I also think that a reasonable person would say that "do you proud" has a conceptual meaning related to good quality even if it is not quantifiable. Whether those two reasonable but subjective views are sufficiently at odds for the ASA to take action is not clear to me. But if you do not ask.......
TerriblePlusNet
Dabbler

Quote from: mikesalway1
I think that advertisement could well fall foul of trading standards.
I was not proud of the fact it took me 30 minutes to get through to customer services a couple of days ago. When I actually managed to speak to someone, they then wanted me to go on hold again to transfer me onto another department. At that stage I gave up as I had enough of their "service" by this time. My experience was worse than dealing with BT.   Angry

I have had exactly the same experience for 2 days