Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Stop The Broadband Con" Campaign

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: "Stop The Broadband Con" Campaign

Just put my postcode into the Virgin site and came up with:
Oops, something's broken.
You've caught us out - this part of the site has broken at the moment, but alarms have sounded and we're working on it.
Please come back and try again later.
Right now, you might find other parts of the site are working fine, so try using our site map or use the links below to help you find what you want. 

Not very impressed Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

Fletch has hit the nail on the head.

All publicity is good publicity eh virgin ?
You cant bad mouth a company for doing something WHEN YOU DO THE SAME.
Fools.
(and they dont provide static IPs to their residential customers... fail?)
qdos747

Oh listen to all the cackling coming from the DSL folk here who are probably digging at Virgin purely out of jealousy that they're out of a cabled area and therefore will NEVER get 50meg+ speeds anytime soon.
I have both services (ahem, technologies) here with DSL as the backup, both have their problems but overall Cable comes out on top.
Just HOW Plusnet reps have the nerve to knock Virgin when they are the people throttling traffic types down to dial-up speeds at certain times of the day I don't know - something which Plusnet *wouldn't HAVE to do at all* if they didn't run an oversubscribed network and weren't so stingy on bandwidth.  It is Plusnet customers who are the mugs for being told when they can use their connection and how much they can download with it.
Cable is suited to the more serious heavy downloader *who doesn't want headches over usage limits*, DSL is handy for the more stable latency and (mostly) low jitter.
Let's hope no Virgin customers turn up here and remind the Plusnet reps of their failed Unlimited product offering that got withdrawn  Cool

Hope this helps.
matt_2k34
Grafter

its not a DSL vs cable argument.
Plusnet isnt "over subscriped", ive never experience unexpected slowdowns.
BTs network, is a different matter.
The problem here is, VIRGIN MEDIA are arguing against "up to" advertising.. when THEY DO THE SAME.
It is Plusnet customers who are the mugs

Mug? not really. ive never had a letter from plusnet telling me not to download that, its illegal (when VM often do this)
happy with VM? great, suit yourself, bitching about plusnet just makes you look rather childish - particularly when you've completely missed the point.
Regards
This Plusnet Mug
TicnTac
Grafter

Fletch has hit the nail on the head

Sad Poor nail, what ever did it do wrong?  Roll_eyes
The fact remains, that using BT infrastructure means you will have variables that won't apply to cable (VM) customers. There will always be up to speeds, a new car could go "up to" x amount of miles per hour, or could give you "up to" x amount of miles per gallon.....variables come in (albeit the driver of the car).............being with BT means you get "up to" speeds, thus advertising can say as such. Having over a dozen BT bods around for the past 8 months, they've all had various stories about lines and faults, some which throws the usual speed methodology out the window, a lot of folks living near our local exchange either can't get a stable ADSL signal, or get around 1.5Mb/s. However TalkTalk customers around the same area are getting an average in this area of 6.5Mb/s. For folks living near the edge of the exchange limit they're getting 3.5-5Mb/s. So advertised as such, you could get up to 8Mb's. Not seen anything around here saying up to 20Mb, even though the exchange it enabled for such speeds!  Undecided
However along with BT you get the line noise issues, connection stability issues, re-syncs. and then depending on the ISP you can get traffic shaping, some of which during the day I have experienced and it seems to have been acknowledged whilst on the telephone to Plusnet.........  Roll_eyes
......you will never stop the “up to” advertising, it will never happen. How many of us had dial up modems, and how many of us connected at 57.5kb/s or even transferred at that speed, same goes for the 33.6kb/s and the 28.8kb/s, the closest I ever got to that was when I was using dual ISDN.  Shocked
It is the way of the world, “lose up to......”, “win up to......”, “get up to........”, “use up to..........” .  It isn’t great, but it is the way it is, as for Mr B from Virgin doing what he is doing, then maybe it is just a gimmick?
BT are never going to change, I mean come on folks, this is the year 2010, people are still driving about in clapped out Ford Fiestas, we still use coal and gas to heat our homes, Internet is slow, computers are slow, machines are slow, cars are rubbish, we can’t teleport, we have no base on the moon, and we can’t holiday on Mars, we still fight each other with projectile weapons, and use hand to hand combat, poverty is rife, transport is rubbish, we dump huge amounts of waste, millions of people every weekend get drunk and puke up on our streets and cost our healthcare and police and our local councils billions, and we can’t cure the common cold! Old people are lonely, children are poorly treated and educated in all parts of the UK.................
..........and we’re moaning about “up to” broadband adverts?  Wink
All we can really do is blame BT and the Plusnet CEO for all of it lol  Grin
At least Plusnet aren't like a cheap airline, you do at least get some sort of broadband and phone for your money  Wink
Viva la cable and DOCSIS 3 Grin
matt_2k34
Grafter

With some of the junk you've put up with TicnTac, its nice to see you so active on the forums (check out the IRC ? See Sig!)
Im guessing you've fallen victim to BT ally cabling?
I couldnt agree more tbh...
DOCSIS 3 is alright, i wouldnt mind FTTP though. then i dont care what technology is used..
Wouldnt be so bad if Cable was 100% available, but it isnt. and until it is, why bother bitching?
[/my2p]
TicnTac
Grafter

Grin
Can't do much else with my connection, so might as well bug the board Wink
Problem with Fibre, some folks won't get much more than 8Mb on the system, it seems so far to be a 3 tier system, the closer you are the faster you are, heard that one before eh? However, if you're half way, then you'll get about half the speed that could be on offer, the futher you are away, then you'll get around 10Mbs, for the simple reason they'll use the twisted pairs as a simple you would a network and an RJ45 cable  Roll_eyes ...............so I've heard from the odd SFI that's been around all gloating they've been installing and setting up infinity  Roll_eyes
I'm not holding out any hopes for here though  Sad
My last cable modem was on DOCSIS 2.4 after a firmware upgrade, I had a rather open user friendly umm teratek, tera something? Can't remember what it was called now it's been so long Sad
Cable, if NTL's plan had been rolled out properly would have had 90-ish% of the UK, but economics, goverments proved to throw the towel to that idea. What is annoying is that a few mins away from the house, there are pavement covers for cabletec, cable & wireless, and can't remember what the other one is - so annoying, but the infrastructure is there. Doubt it'll ever get used though  Undecided
Bitching is also lots and lots of fun, especially when it's against BT, what more can one ask for in life eh? Wink
Problem we have is that we have some gems of staff on this board giving a very high very personal level of service to those customers who come on. This is where the problem lies, it sucks customers into a false sense of security and appeases them to a point of liking Plusnet even though they are just a pretty mask on the face of the company that brought comminication to hell! The fact remains the person who holds the reigns of Plusnet is tainted with BT, and it is all about money, profits and share holders, nothing to do with service, satisfaction or improvments, helping customers or improving the network. There is nothing honest or good about anything...................most ISP's are the same, but as I said to our business manager at our bank why we were still customers after all the rubbish we've had to put up with it over the past decade, easy I smiled, better the devil you know than the devil you don't!
As the old cliché goes, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em Wink  .......or carry on bitching Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The fact remains the person who holds the reigns of Plusnet is tainted with BT, and it is all about money, profits and share holders, nothing to do with service,

I'm going to play devil's advocate now Tim (is there anyone from Plusnet more appropriate to do so? Smiley ) Do you think last weeks announcement about bringing support back to Sheffield was about money or improving the customer experience. (Adam lights the touch paper and legs it...).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should have read this and the subsequent posts before posting http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90750.msg758406.html#msg758406 ; Sad Sad
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm aware Oldjim,
hence being the devil's advocate and not an advocate of my personal opinion, I'm commenting on the quality of the support we're giving at the moment, wait and response times will improve as we acclimatise to the changes.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dom
Grafter

A slightly off-topic but related article from Tim Berners-Lee about the open web and how having a two-tier closed web could stifle innovation etc:
http://tulu.me/oX9G
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Will all due respect, even allowing for you playing Devil's advocate, Plusnet should have manned up and organised the shift rotas before closing down Durban not sfterwards
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
This is what I get putting in my post code

Me too, I put in my postcode, which is a BT only exchange, no date set for ADSL2/21CN ... Yet Virgin say I they can provide me up to 20Mb ... then a few screens later when I do indicate I am thinking about moving it asks for my phone number and postcode and then confesses I'll only get 1.5 to 2Mb which is correct for my 53dB line.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
nethlyn
Dabbler

Funnily enough I left VM to go to Plusnet, connection great for both my flat and my rellie's house, but then they started rescinding offers and sending threatening letters out disputing their own contractual payments, and the "direct debit or pay us more" fiasco, copying BT's stance three years back (didn't matter if you used a debit card at BT's own site they still wanted to "fine" you for not using DD), that was it for me.
All the cable boxes along my street were kicked out and vandalised by teenagers two years ago, when the VM sales line couldn't give me a straight answer about rebuilding the box higher up the wall (I'm on the first floor) then that was that - never mind wanting to take your phone line over so their headline offers are always £12-15 dearer. So if the campaigns are deliberately unclear and the service is terrible, then who cares about the speed.
TicnTac is right, you could have a great run with an ISP, then they make one change and it can all go downhill from there - but your next door neighbour will still have no problems at all. I take the point that ISP advertising never seems to influence the customer experience for the better (well, certainly not mine anyway).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now for a change a boot on the other foot
WebUser Mag, 18th Nov issue page 70
Best Broad band, yes PN are at the top, BUT   the package detail for Value say max spee is 8M , Orange 20, O2 8m Talk Talk 24M  I am on value and my synch is 14M
Data supplied by Broadband Choices (www.broadbandchoices.co.uk), correct as at 10 Nov 2010
and this is from their site
Can I have the wine?