cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Penalties may apply when moving phone line"

thelonerider
Dabbler

"Penalties may apply when moving phone line"

I have just had a heated discussion with James from on here, a member of plusnet staff regarding their wording on the website.
I think it should definately be more clear for potential customers to understand what penalties they could inccure from their current phone supplier.
It is my understanding that you can move from BT (or other phone supplier) to PN at no cost. No cost on PN side. With BT, you are still bound to their 12 month contract (or what ever length) and PN know this.
I have suggested that something put on the website to just let people know out of courtesy that they may inccur penalties, please contact their supplier first.
Although James agreed on the phone and said he would put my suggestions forward, do you think that PN will want their potential customers to know about the charges they may get from their telephone company for switching to PN? Is there not comething trading standards or offcom should do about such advertising?
When you go to Sky's website and Virgin's website, they do have something in their small print to tell customer to check with their supplier. So if these big companies do it, why shouldnt the smaller ones be doing so. I think it is a mis-representation of sales and I think that the retail director of PN should make sure the changes are made to the site so that someone doesnt end up with charges that they were not expecting.
Jason.
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: "Penalties may apply when moving phone line"

Hi Jason,
As per the information I've put on your ticket, we do actually give this information, although perhaps more specifically for broadband contracts.
It's on http://www.plus.net/switch/ which is linked to from our home page (with big pink/red letters).
It won't cost you anything to switch your broadband, however they might hold you to any contract you've taken out with them. (i.e. you may need to pay any outstanding charges). You should check with your current provider before switching to us.
thelonerider
Dabbler

Yes I found that bit which is what concerned me because there was nothing regarding the telephone switching. Although I knew about the charges, some poor old lady wanting to save a few quid a month switching over might not know. That was my main concern especially now that you have pointed out the broadband version but not the phone one. I too may have missed it on the site so if I have then I will apologise but it still needs to be clear. It is with Sky, Virgin and BT.
James
Grafter

http://www.plus.net/support/phone/home_phone/phone_faq.shtml#2b
Applies to physical order costs, but not on contracts.  I'll speak to Marketing.
SparckZero
Grafter

Would be worthwhile I think - I was going to switch my phone over to PN, but I realised that I was in a 12-month contract with BT - not everyone would be aware / remember if this was the case though.
@thelonerider - I would say it's not PN's responsibility to remind customers to check their existing contracts before migrating in, nor can they be responsible for charges that a customer wasn't expecting from their previous supplier? You wouldn't sign up for a mobile contract with a new network without first checking that your old contract had expired...I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "mis-representation of sales"...