cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Faster Broadband" - stuck in the middle of two worlds....

jchasty
Hooked

"Faster Broadband" - stuck in the middle of two worlds....

I wonder when my area will get Superfast broadband defined by the UK government as above 24Mbps?

My two broadband lines are 16Mbps and 19Mbps and yet I pay the same rate as much much faster services.

I know my line is a long way away from the exchange, but Openreach did not install enough cabinets to mitigate this.

When will G Fast or Vectoring come in?

It's no wonder the UK is 54th in the world for broadband speed....drives me mad.

Rant over.

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: "Faster Broadband" - stuck in the middle of two worlds....

G.fast would be of no use to you whatsoever if it's going to be supplied from the existing cabinet.

VDSL2 vectoring, if it ever gets implemented on your cabinet, would probably only give a small gain for such a long line.

I don't think there is any information available as to if and when something might be done to improve your speeds, such as doing some network re-arrangement and installing a VDSL2 or G.fast cabinet closer to you than your existing cabinet.

jchasty
Hooked

Thanks ejs

So, no FTTP, no FTTPoD, no Virgin cable, no independent Fibre only supplier e.g. Gigaclear....sigh

That's why I have two broadband lines and a load balancing router - I know it's not bonded, but at least we can stream to two TVs concurrently....

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

If you're just using a single connection, do you actually see problems with streaming two different TV's at once?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jchasty
Hooked

Yes I do.  The picture quality cycles through SD, HD, 1080p, 2160p at various random times as the bandwidth is used.

Now with two lines it takes a shorter time to get to 2160p and stays there, even on two TVs.