cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Disconnections" due to over usage - allow more time for end-user to respond.

keyshome
Dabbler

"Disconnections" due to over usage - allow more time for end-user to respond.

As a long-term PlusNet user, and recommender to many less-experienced end-users, I have noticed on several occasions that "internet service is prevented" ( in some circumstances anyway) when an over-usage event occurs.  NOTE:  I do not mean a "slow down", I mean a complete 100% inability for the end-user to surf, email, or even "ping test"... even though the connection "looks OK" (i.e. ADSL/PPP looks OK in the router screens).
For example, in a recent visit to an end-user when this had happened I even had one of the PlusNet tech support staff tell me that "the problem cannot be due to an over-usage problem as that would only slow you down".  However, this was NOT TRUE as, after giving up with tech support, and then asking to "change the account type" the customer services operative confirmed that there was an "over-usage problem on the account".  The customer services person then "re-set the cap" (or similar phrase) and then data started flowing immediately.  What a WASTE OF TIME for me, the end-user, and the PlusNet tech support people !
You may say "but the end-user is sent an email when they go over their usage limit".  Yes, maybe that's true but most end-users can only read their emails if they can get online !  Due to the problem I describe, it's not possible for them to get online and read their emails... so the only way that they know there is an "account problem" is if they telephone PlusNet OR get someone else to login to the portal for them.
So, my suggestion is as follows :-
1)  Simply ALLOW MORE TIME (e.g. 2 or 3 days would be ideal) for end-users to read the "payment required email" and pay for their over-usage event before invoking the "loss of service".
2)  By forcing an immediate "loss of service" PlusNet put the end-user in a difficult situation and they will often resort to "call in technical help" (sometimes at considerable cost) in order to work out what is happening to their system.  Even PlusNet technical support operatives do not always understand what has happened to cause the connection problem experienced by the end-user.
Regards,
Andy Keys.
5 REPLIES 5
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: "Disconnections" due to over usage - allow more time for end-user to respond.

A good suggestion Andy, and something the UserGroup were pushing for a while back when BBYW was the dominant product set.  Perhaps time to put this topic back on the product development radar.  A couple of days gives a useful opportunity to resolve the (potential) problem with minimal resource expended on either side,
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: "Disconnections" due to over usage - allow more time for end-user to respond.

Hi Andy,
Thanks very much for that feedback - it is the data transfer watch that causes this (unfortunately it works differently to when you hit your account transfer limit, which limits everything to 128k but does therefore allow you to get email and surf). I'll see what I can do to get this looked at for you.
newthing
Grafter

/Rant#  Angry
Er...
Matt
have you just repeated the false hood that it is possible to surf at reduced speed
the man is telling you, thats not he case.
As I have just myself experienced twice in the space of what 3? weeks: the routing outside PN shuts down
            @@@@@@@@@@@@@
           @@    Completely       @@@
            @@@@@@@@@@@@
and the PN webmail server becomes ' Unreachable '
I have had this twice: 1st week Feb : over my 15Mb
Sunday and Monday 21 22nd  I tried to set the charge for exceeding Transfer limit
using PN own web page tool. Result againg no routing beyond plusnet, no access to PN webmail.
How are we supposed to know what has happened,
this is not a new occurence, the over transfer limit bug appeared when
accounts tranfer useage went up to 15 GB, quite a while ago.
How on earth does the customer get to know what has happened
  -- with No Webmail access at all PN Hotmail, or otherwise?
excuse my feeling a bit confused.
Toby
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi newthing,
Sorry, that's what I was saying - because you'd set the data transfer watch your connection was blocked. If you hadn't set this and had just waited to hit the usage allowance on your account, you would still have been able to connect albeit at a much slower speed (surfing at this speed still works; it's twice the speed of a dialup connection).
Please let me know if that's not the case?
newthing
Grafter

<edit for spelling/clarity>
As far as my experience goes, I topped 15GB around 31Jan/1Feb and the slowdown was accompanied by a loss of routing outside the plusnet domain, complete loss of access to Yahoo webmail (in my case) and PN webmail, so even that avenue not there as a fallback, re-visit the effects of exceeding transfer allowance,  maybe actual behaviour (plusnet user perpective) of the system differs from intended.
Toby,
just trying to help clear up what can seem like the worst aspect of the 'PLUSNET Experience'.
 Picture yourself,
 average day, login, reading mail,
 windows getting updates in the background,
Then:
SYMPTOM  Pages fail to load,
 abrupt loss of net connectivity,
 no access to email to find out whats up.
Lot of folk don't read the whole site, never see the forums.
Just eMail and social networks, a bit of iPlayer, w.h.y.,
sudden cuttof with no warning,
it does just stop apparently,
if your perspective is just a handful of the available services.

Toby