2. REAL

6 REPLIES 6
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: "Attention PlusNet Technologies Ltd user!"

Nope, stay away from that. Looks like a rehash of this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Announcements/Pop-up-and-surveys/td-p/1200560

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I went through the "survey" for a laugh.
At the end it says I can have 2 free items, neither of which I would touch with a barge pole. But I did NOT enter any personal details, just pressed buttons on the survey.

I find it interesting that it effected my Linux system, I don't normally see rubbish like this.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

If I remember rightly, when testing this out I was offered face cream. Huh

Be interested to see any further reports of this, as I thought we had seen the back of them. It who you're with based on your IP address, so it seems to affect most ISP's.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yep face cream, eciggy, and body building carp.

For some reason the free iphone was sold out 😉
OH

Hi, I am new to the forum but have been experiencing problems with my Plusnet service for quite a while now - and it now includes this pop-up... or a very similar version of it.

I can be happily browsing ebay and then all of a sudden, the page will forward to a strange web address with the same 'Attention Plusnet Technologies User' title and go on to say that I have been selected for a survey - clearly that's rubbish but what I want to know is what I can do to stop it. It's immensely frustrating!

I also seem to be getting DNS look up failures a lot of the time, my connection is slower than it used to be and I'm continuing to think that something is up! I also cannot log on to my HSBC mobile banking app from my smartphone any more - it tells me there is a problem with my internet connection (and that I should try again later). If I turn wi-fi off, and use the mobile data network, it works.  This does seem to point a few fingers at my wi-fi/internet connection.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated as I have been through to tech support at Plusnet on the 'phone several times in the last few weeks and still seem to be getting related problems, no matter what we try.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @OH

@OH wrote:

it now includes this pop-up... or a very similar version of it.

...what I want to know is what I can do to stop it. It's immensely frustrating!

I'd recommend the advice from posts 2 and 3 over in this thread here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Plusnet-Technologies-drive-by-browser-hijack/m-p/1428...

However as Matty mentioned above, the pop up mentions an ISP based off of the IP address you're connected on and this seems to affect most providers because of this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet