cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ptb-relay03.plus.net is blacklisted due to spam violations

cuckoofield

ptb-relay03.plus.net is blacklisted due to spam violations

ptb-relay03.plus.net and my ip address for email hosted by Plusnet are blacklisted due to Spam violations arising from incorrect configuration of your mail server.
I have raised this on a ticket but no action has been taken to resolve the issue - UCEPROTECT's spam traps are still being hit and blacklist will only be removed after 7 days of no hits.
I have not had a fully working email service since 31 / 12 / 08.
Text from UCEPROTECT
"What means listed at UCEPROTECT-Level 1?
It means spamtraps were hit from IP XXXXXXX directly within the last 7 days, and therefore your mail got blocked.
If IP XXXXXXX is your providers mailserver we recommend:
Please send a compliant to your provider and request him to fix this problem immediatly.
Think about this: You pay him for, that you can use the internet without problems.
If he ignores your complaint or claims he can't do anything, you should consider to change your provider.
If you are responsible for IP XXXXXXXXXXXX:
You can easy find out, which UCEPROTECT-Server did list your IP and for what reason.
To do this, search your mailservers logs (last 8 days) for following expression: Access denied and blocklisted
All you need to know in order to locate the problem should be inside your logfiles.
If you can't find that string, you mostly have a trojan with own smtp engine in your lan."
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: ptb-relay03.plus.net is blacklisted due to spam violations

Very likely to be related to the other reports of mail getting refused (Comcast, Yahoo, Hotmail etc.) We've an internal problem open to address this (ref:54754) and we'll get a Service Status update posted.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do PN do ANY active tracing of all this spam to track down the originator, perhaps in conjunction with Spamcop, Ironport or whoever?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We can track the IP of where it's sent, but other than blocking huge IP ranges it's going to take some time to sort out. We're working on it and hopefully you'll see an improvement as we carry on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@cuckoofield, is this sorted now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

haardman
Dabbler

One of my clients just received the following:
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason.  Check the address and try again.  If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
< relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net #5.0.0 smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'Message rejected because relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net [212.159.7.35] is blacklisted at dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net see IP 212.159.7.35 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=212.159.7.35'; (delivery attempts: 0)>

Please advise
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like it's a case of waiting to be delisted. It's a bit underhand to ask for money for immediate removal -
Quote from: uceprotect
How can the IP 212.159.7.35 be removed from UCEPROTECT-Level 1?
Every IP temporary listed at Level 1 will be removed automatically and free of charge, as soon as it is no longer a source of abuse for 7 days.
If you don't want to wait for expiration, Expressdelisting of this IP from Level 1 is optionally available at a 50 EURO charge by using one of the payservicebuttons above.
Please also note that Expressdelisting only makes sense after the problem which caused the Level 1 listing is fixed.
If the problem is not fixed, it is mostly just a question of time until IP 212.159.7.35 might end up listed in UCEPROTECT Level 1 again.

If you haven't done already then I'd report this to the support desk using the ticketing system so our network engineers can take a quick look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team