cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem - related to tickets 32459185 / 32419866 ?

WebDude
Grafter

problem - related to tickets 32459185 / 32419866 ?

Attn: Mand if available, please!  (Though anyone at PN might be able to check/ help/ respond).
Wanting to get Plusnet Premium BB account, but upgrade from an old dial-up account did not have that option.  Automated billing tried to debit 40.00 (setup fee?) instead of something like 18.98 or 14.98 (if commission taken off) but debit failed last Thursday.
My BT line dial tone died on Friday or Saturday (did not know until Saturday, just remember unplugging a BT phone on Friday when it went into a continuous ringing session around 4am!).  Was trying to see if Mand could check tickets, since she had placed order for BBYW option 1, 1 month contract, as a way to get BB (upgrade) order into system, but got no response from posting in thread on TBB, so sent e-mail at some point riday or Saturday, then spotted she had been online, but was offline whenever I checked PN Community for her.  I tried the BT online fault test (I am using Three mobile dongle for internet at present) and the web site reported an error during a test phase, so I decided to wait and see if dial tone would come back, or whether initial steps on reporting had gone into system.  No dial tone yesterday and a friend was getting engaged around 7pm when she tried calling (we were discussing something else via e-mail).
Today, phone in hall rings (rest of phones unplugged) and I speak to another friend.  Problem later when I wanted to ring him back, as my indirect carrier (1899.com which charges 5p connect and 0p/min) cannot be used.  Dial 1899 0124 and BT-style voice tells me <FX tri-tone> "The number you have dialled has not been recognised, please check and try again"
Q. Has PlusNet moved my phone service from BT ?  I need to know, since I cannot tell what one can do to test for a BT vs PlusNet phone service.
21 REPLIES 21
WebDude
Grafter

Re: problem - related to tickets 32459185 / 32419866 ?

Just tried a BT line test number 170xx and get same 'number you have dialled' error.
I am rather concerned, not so much about losing use of 1899 service (though that is a pain) but whether BT will believe I have chosen to switch my phone line billing from BT as this would mean I owe them 17 months line rental, plus line installtion cost (approx 350 pounds).
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We haven't requested to move your phone from BT, this is a broadband only order.
I'm currently sorting the billing issues.
Mand
Grafter

Right, I've activated the account and changed it to Premium, so it's all good to go when the order completes (scheduled for Thursday but might be earlier).
I've got rid of the erroneous £40 fee, and your account is now all as expected.
Regarding the phone line, I'd suggest raising a fault to BT, nothing we've done would have any effect on your phone service.
WebDude
Grafter

Phone service seems to be back to normal - 1899 indirect access working again (it was around 1700 before I needed to use it).
I had e-mail that it was active, but have tried a couple of routers and no joy.
I did start to go through the broadband fault test process, however, in case there's some setting wrong (these have been used on AOL and at various locations for testing) I will hold off until the Plus.Net wireless router arrives. 
Of course, with the fact they seemed to do something bad to the line yesterday, there's no guarantee that BT did actually get the right pair for ADSL, so maybe someone else has been connected !  Roll_eyes
Thanks for your help Mand.  Glad the process is going along... now just wondering what the amount I will have to pay is (ie whether a few quid of referral commission came off or will that be coming off next month, perhaps).
WebDude
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
when the order completes (scheduled for Thursday but might be earlier).

I didn't see your reply until today (must not have done a thorough refresh) and did see mail (15:33 Monday) saying "Your broadband product change is now complete" and showing    Broadband Product Plusnet Premium ...  Monthly Subscription £11.99
Another message a few minutes before that said "Your broadband is now active!" and went on with "Congratulations, your broadband has been activated. It's time to get connected!" and went on with    ...  "2. Connecting to broadband for the first time? ..."   about filters and so on.
Now I am confused, as the 'scheduled for Thursday' bit sounds like that's when BT will do the work.  Presumably the 'product change' was really a dummy, when you were switching me from BBYW to BB Premium account.  The other, however, about 'been activated' now sounds like a red herring that can at the least be described as misleading...
I guess I wasted a few hours yesterday night and this morning, thinking there was something wrong with what I was doing and finding 4 other filters, 3 other RJ11 to RJ11/ RJ11/BT cables, and generally trying every diagnostic under the sun on the Origo and AR11 routers, when the line doesn't yet have the jumpers on at the exchange to let my router connect to the ADSL kit  Sad
I've got rid of the erroneous £40 fee, and your account is now all as expected.

Thanks for wiping out the 40 quid.  As for the account 'as expected', maybe not...
I now have the right amount for the month's broadband payment (11.99 - {referrals so far})  but nothing is listed /added as a charge for delivery of the wireless router.   I trust I am still eligible to get that like anyone switching to PN / upgrading with PN (?)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WebDude,
If you want a router we can arrange that for sure. We'd need to take the delivery charge from a debit or credit card (£6.99) so if you confirm we can take that I'll do the needful and get the router ordered for you today if you like?
WebDude
Grafter

Thanks for the folow-up Matt.  I was very busy for most of Wednesday, hence no reply.
Unfortunately there had been some problem taking funds using my HSBC Visa debit card, and I had already decided to phone at some quiet period (3am, for example), because that way I could ask for the wireless router to be ordered and then pay for one bill and hopefully it would all go through OK.  It went through so I will expect to see the router in a few days.  Anyway, thanks again.
Mand
Grafter

Glad to hear things are sorted now. Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Glad to hear things are sorted now. Smiley

Thanks for your patience Mand, while I've (sometimes) been impatient...
Hoping things are completed today by BT... 
Router showing no connection, so far - sorry, just me being impatient Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Can anyone tell me whether I should expect another  "Your broadband is now active!" (this time for real) e-mail ?
The first was a bit of fiction, caused when Mand enabled my account (so she could progress the change from dial-up, via BBYW, to a Premium account) and came Monday but now I am still waiting for the line to actually be enabled, and although I tried 2 different (pre-owned) ADSL routers, at intervals, today, and getting no joy, I'm wondering how I will know that BT has done their stuff, if the 'activation' message sent Monday prevents a second one being sent...  or, will confirmation from BT trigger an automatic confirmation/ "time to connect" message for me and I can take a sleeping tablet and forget testing the line until that e-mail comes in?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Webdude,
It looks like the order has completed, you should get the email shortly as the house move is being closed off now Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
... as the house move ...

fictional, of course...  now I see how Mand was doing it.
I think the only mail I had was to say the ticket was closed.  Thanks, Matt, for looking into the extra debit.
As for how well things are going, I'd better hold off on any answers.  Not PNs fault, but having received the Thomson wireless router around 11 from the postman, I was connected for a few hours from late morning at 1280 kbps, disconnected some time mid-afternoon and could not connect after that, watched TV.
Have had some brief connections today, but following the rain (?) things have gone from "usable" to "poor".
11:58 downstream: 160 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
12:01 downstream: 192 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
12:06 downstream: 288 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
However I know it is very "early days" so I am waiting to see whether anything changes over the next week or two.
Back on Three mobile dongle to have a 'stable' connection while I check my e-mail and do a few other things online.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Is the router still connected? You've got a lot of disconnections showing on the 19th and the 20th, but nothing since.
WebDude
Grafter

Seems like some line fault has repeated for me - my dial tone went away (as it had done over weekend 13/14), but I didn't notice until late yesterday and could not fit in a BT engineer visit today (and have things taking me out of the house tomorrow too). 
Had a BT Engineer out on 9th or 11th (cannot remember which right now) about hum on the line, which he tested with his Hawk kit, and pretty much dismissed (said I was being too fussy - had been the first time in 35+ years I'd heard such a hum, all the time, must have been lucky in other places I've lived / visited).  Made me wonder if he disconnects my line in spite at weekends Smiley 
(Line is giving engaged if dialled, and BT {web} fault testing system says problem is not on their line).