Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low speeds - noisy line - dropped connections - service issues

snailspace
Grafter

low speeds - noisy line - dropped connections - service issues

Maybe I can vent here.
I used to have a stable connection at 6MB or thereabouts throughput (7-8M synch)
Raised a fault on May13 - this ticket is STILL ongoing ( ID: 28785027 )
Have had BT out twice (once for voice fault - once for BB tests)
Tried new cables - router plugged into test socket - new filter  - different router - different computers - different OSs,
Speeds (download) have bee fluctuating between 120kb !!!  and 3.6Mb (very briefly),  Even at it's fastest, this is little better than half the speed I had been getting.  Look at this graph from yesterday (attached file graph1.jpeg).
Presently better than it has been lately - synched at 4Mb with a downstream speed of 2292 but this is gradually declining again.
What is starting to bug me more and more is PNs recent responses.  The last few responses on the ticket seem to assume I should be happy to get a degraded service capable of little more than 1/2 the speed it should be.
The last telephone response was a very offhand "The faults team are looking into it it - they'll contact you when there;s any update"
This sounds ominously like "DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU"
Any suggestions would be most welcome Huh
28 REPLIES 28
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: low speeds - noisy line - dropped connections - service issues

Post your router stats - especially your downstream noise margin.
Give make and model, whether you are using wireless, whether you are using master BT socket etc.
i would suggest that you leave that router switched on 24/7 for the time being.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear that's still going on. I suspect the next step will be to book an(other) engineer visit, I'll need to confirm that with the faults guys which I'll do as soon as I get into the office.
James
Grafter

Hi Snailspace,
I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your connection, notably with the stability and speed.
Important question though, is your line still noisy?  If it is, that's 99% likely to be the cause of all of these problems.  If it is, we'll need you to go back to BT Retail, or whoever you pay for your telephone service and raise another fault with them as it would appear that whatever was broken in the first place wasn't fixed.
snailspace
Grafter

Hi All
Thanks for your replies - sorry to take so lomg getting back to you.
At this moment (10:11 Wed) router stats are as follows:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 4,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 44 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 57,242
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 1,411
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 39
Best sync I've had for days!
-----------------------------------------------------
Router is a Thomson 585v7 supplied by PN - have tried an older ST-510 kindly loaned by PN and a USR9601 - all the same
Router is always left on 24/7
Router is plugged into test socket (has been for weeks) with a (new - replaced several times) filter, new, 0.5m RJ11lead and a single (new, corded) phone.
Even tried no phone at all for a few days!
Main PC is fed via a (new and tested)15m ethernet cable
Laptop is fed wireless
No discernible difference in speed or stability problems
The line seems quiet since BTs first visit when he connected the master socket to the cabinet with a new pair.
James
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me.
I take it that you tried connection multiple routers to the test socket and they're all giving spurious connection activity and synchronisation speeds?
I've just passed your ticket back to you requesting further engineer appointment times based on the fact that you're still seeing dropping connections using the test socket with different pieces of hardware.
snailspace
Grafter

Hi Jameseh
Yes - all routers were plugged into the test socket with either nothing else present or just 1 corded phone.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I just wonder how many people keep a stock of routers, filters etc. so they can check if they have a problem. There are a lot people who would not have the slightest idea how to access the test socket and even if showed would be reluctant to do so.
Quote from: Jameseh
I take it that you tried connection multiple routers to the test socket and they're all giving spurious connection activity and synchronisation speeds?
James
Grafter

We do offer to send out a test router if the customer has no way of borrowing one to test or to try at a friends house.
We also show a video of how to access and use the test socket.
snailspace
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd
I just wonder how many people keep a stock of routers, filters etc. so they can check if they have a problem. There are a lot people who would not have the slightest idea how to access the test socket and even if showed would be reluctant to do so.
Quote from: Jameseh

I agree that many people might be reluctant / unable to do this sort of thing on their own but PN do give a very good guide on the site as James says.
If you take them up on their loan router offer they send out new filter RJ11(phone) cable and ethernet cable with it so you can eliminate your own equipment completely.
snailspace
Grafter

PN have now arranged a BT engineer visit for tomorrow - thanks for prompt service there.
Let's hope they can do something this time.
Will post back on how it goes
snailspace
Grafter

::)BT engineer arrived with no idea of what the fault was despite PN having requested that the be supplied with full details.
???Ran a set of line tests - told me the line was stable at approx 6M - fitted new master socket assembly and a filtered faceplate - advised that as the line reoported as stable there was nothing else to be done and departed. 
:)Router synced at 6.6M - great!
::)Profile still limiting speed but at least I have a stable connection UNTIL
:oCame in this evening and logged on - very slow again
>:(Check router  - connection dropped twice - now synced at 352k downstream
::)Phoned support to be advised that they can't do anything until tomorrow - it needs a senior faults person, apparently.
Router stats are as follows
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:07:37
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 352
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 15.5

Some speedtest results in attachment (graph.jpg)
While I type this router resynced again - this time at 1.5M Shocked
>:(What the ?*/"$%!  is going on.  Why won't BT or someone (ANYONE )sort it out. Cry
AH,well that's that off my chest  - we'll just have to see what - if anything happens in the morning
adie:quote
James
Grafter

Hi,
I've asked a member of the Faults Team to have a look at the engineers report and find out what has been done to date.
stevef
Dabbler

Hi, I've had similar issues.  BT came out and fitted a new master socket, and reconfigured two more.  My modem was syncing at 2500 and the Broadband Speed test showed 1800.  Now after the work it syncs at 3616, but the Broadband Speed test shows 900-1155 kbps.  (I've posted more diagnostics on my ticket.)  It still has been dropping connections in the middle of the night, but so far none during the day.  Unfortunately, I do a lot of audio/video streaming and 1155 kbps just isn't good enough.
Today, however, I wonder if there is more wrong.  I'm not losing sync, but there have been several instances where the internet just stops working.  My modem is still synced, and show the ppp connection being up.  A few minutes later it is fine.  I noticed PlusNet had a similar problem a month or two ago.  I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this today.  Nothing on the Service Status page.
stevef
Dabbler

I just tried the btspeedtest and got the following results, which are even worse:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 777 kbps
I should be on a DSL Max connection.