cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lied misled and fobbed off

neilhanmer1
Dabbler

lied misled and fobbed off

Very disappointed with Plusnet customer service.
Prior to joining Plusnet I was told I would receive at least the same broadband speed as my previous provider Talk Talk but probably better.
I also received a written estimate of minimum and maximum speeds I could expect.
The day I was connected my speed dropped 20% (it is now nearer 25%) I have waited hours to be connected to call centres and waited days while the lines checked, settings re-set and lines to 'settle' all to no avail.
What do I want?, only to receive the minimum speed  quoted for or to be released from my contract without penalty.
Plusnet cannot or will not do either.
Very disappointed to receive this level of customer service from a company who advertises and prides itself on the standard of service given to its customers.
Any suggestions on what I can do next or do I have to grin and bare the lesser speed than I had with Talk Talk for the next 10 months?
28 REPLIES 28
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: lied misled and fobbed off

Hi Neil,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Can you please post the information listed in the speed issues thread.  That will give community members the information needed to assess your situation.  There are a number of factors which can impact available and actual speeds.  In some cases, the speeds which are available to non-LLU ISPs (such as PlusNET) is restricted by BT Wholesale in that they have not invested in upgrading exchanges.  Look here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php - to see if CN21 services are available on your exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

neilhanmer1
Dabbler

Hi Townman -thanks for the reply
sorry I am not tech minded and possibly cannot answer your questions.
Anyway, when I was with Talk Talk my broadband speed was generally 3.0-3.2, with PN its now approx 2.1-2.3 (I was quoted 3.0-9.0)
the exchange info given with regards to CN21 is as follows
21CN WBC (ADSL24) Enabled
21CN due (PSTN) - info N/A
makes no since to me!- hope it does to you.
All I know is I was getting over 3 before I joined PN and jst over 2 after and the only thing I did was change the router!, nothing else was changed or altered.
thanks for your interest
Neil
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Neil,
Well at least your exchange does have 21CN, but you appear to be on a long line.
Can you please take a look at the speed issues thread - link below in my sig.  Without your line stats, BTw speed test results and current speed info it is simply not possible to advise where you stand.  Which router have you got?  Were the tests run over wifi or Ethernet (with wifi switched off)?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: neil
Very disappointed to receive this level of customer service from a company who advertises and prides itself on the standard of service given to its customers.
Any suggestions on what I can do next or do I have to grin and bare the lesser speed than I had with Talk Talk for the next 10 months?

"6. Cancellation
The broadband line speed range that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once your broadband speed has settled (usually 10 days after provision), if you are always getting line speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time within the first 90 days after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the speed. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the line speed you get is significantly lower than the estimated range we quoted you when you placed your order for the service (go to Speed Check Estimates for more details) you will be entitled to cancel your broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early subject to you following our instructions to resolve the problem."
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/
You talk of enduring another 10 months of bad service which seems to imply that the 90 days since you placed your order must be fast approaching. Insist on your right to cancel.
My billing notification informs me that the Ts&Cs will be changing on 19th January. "This is to make them easier to read and to reflect your rights under the Consumer Rights Act."
I suggest that you make a copy of the current terms "in effect from 2nd September 2015" to ensure that you can prove the terms at the time that you placed your order.

neilhanmer1
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
Hi Neil,
Well at least your exchange does have 21CN, but you appear to be on a long line.
Can you please take a look at the speed issues thread - link below in my sig.  Without your line stats, BTw speed test results and current speed info it is simply not possible to advise where you stand.  Which router have you got?  Were the tests run over wifi or Ethernet (with wifi switched off)?
Kevin

Hi Kevin
thanks for the reply, sorry I havent responded sooner I have not been able to access e-mails etc over the weekend
stats as requested
BT speed result - 2.31
current line speed -2.2
router - Sagemcom 2704n
test run - Ethenet
Ookla speed reults 2.12
previous provider Talk Talk with DSL-2780 Broadband N ADSL2+ router
hope they make sense to you
thanks again Neil
Neil
dick:green Quote fixed.
neilhanmer1
Dabbler

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: neil

"6. Cancellation
The broadband line speed range that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once your broadband speed has settled (usually 10 days after provision), if you are always getting line speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time within the first 90 days after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the speed. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the line speed you get is significantly lower than the estimated range we quoted you when you placed your order for the service (go to Speed Check Estimates for more details) you will be entitled to cancel your broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early subject to you following our instructions to resolve the problem."
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/
You talk of enduring another 10 months of bad service which seems to imply that the 90 days since you placed your order must be fast approaching. Insist on your right to cancel.
My billing notification informs me that the Ts&Cs will be changing on 19th January. "This is to make them easier to read and to reflect your rights under the Consumer Rights Act."
I suggest that you make a copy of the current terms "in effect from 2nd September 2015" to ensure that you can prove the terms at the time that you placed your order.

Hi Alan
many thanks for the information
I hope PN can sort out the issue but after the length of time they ate taking I doubt if they can.
I dont want to start changing provider again all I want is what they said they would provide but if I do need to change provider to achive better speed then so be it -if I can!
thanks again
Neil
dick:green Quote fixed
neilhanmer1
Dabbler

can anybody advise please:-
would the type of router have any bearing on the broadband speed?
Neil
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Neil,
I need the full page of router stats please - see the link below for your router.  You can just copy and paste the details to avoid the need to transcribe them.
Kevin

neilhanmer1
Dabbler

Hi Kev
sorry but I cannot access the router info -there doesnt appear to have any preloaded info for the Sagemcom 2704n -I did say I wasnt tech minded! Cry
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Neil,
I prefer "Kevin" please.  Wink
I'm not sure what you mean by preloaded info - what I'm asking for is the operational line stats reported by the router - the link in my sig will display them for you.  I cannot recall exactly the interface on the 2704n - you might need your password for the router.

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Post made in error
Sorry.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Neil, what do you get when you go to http://192.168.1.254/statsadsl.html (that's where the 2704 stats link in Kevin's signature goes)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
neilhanmer1
Dabbler

Hello Kevin
hope the attachement helps
many thanks for pointing me in the right direction soon whitter Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ouch!
If I believe the reported attenuation, you are more than 4.5km from the exchange and getting more than might be reasonably expected on a line of that length.
If you were given an estimate higher than what you are getting (see the current speed link below) then I'd have to question the attenuation reported by the router.  That would lead one to question its overall behaviour.
@CRT,
Can you please post a full CLT report?  It would be useful to know what attenuation etc BTOR's systems report for this line.  Does it have a clean errr history.  Frankly if the attenuation figure is correct I do not understand how Talk Talk could have delivered higher speeds, in spite of their different line error management.
Kevin