cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have I made an expensive mistake?

squawk7000
Dabbler

have I made an expensive mistake?

probably wrong forum, but I need someone to clarify my position,  here goes.
Story is I am currently with Tiscali for phone and broadband, and it appears that tiscali have installed their own equipment at the exchange since I joined them, and the line is now LLU.
I had been thinking of moving everything to Plus.Net for a while, and this mornings news that CarphoneWarehouse has bought Tiscali made my mind up. I thought I had completed all my homework, or have I?
Phoned Tiscali, not really an issue, but they couldn't issue a MAC as the line was LLU, but could request BT to reconnect. I put the call on hold and phoned sales at plusnet.
Called Plus.net sales and explained the situation. The advisor agreed there was no problem, all that was required was plus.net would apply to BT to reconnect the line, plusnet would provide my phone service with only a short break, then broadband would be enabled a day or so later. POLus.net would handle everything and there would be no need for me to contact Tiscali. With this assurance I placed an order for unlimited bb and evening/weekends phone.
Half an hour later got a text to contact customer services, who say they cannot provide broadband as the line is unbundled and it would cost £106 to  order a new line. That is not what I was told by sales. I have now checked my account online, broadband order is in place, but the order for phone service is unconfigured. Other FAQs suggest that the phone services are configured after broadband.
Have I made an expensive mistake in jumping to Plus.Net? I don't want to pay for a new line, with new number, and associated costs of letting everyone know of the changes.
Ken
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: have I made an expensive mistake?

Hiya,
I've just checked with our Sales Team and currently we're not charging the activation fee if you commit to a 12 month contract with us for your telephone line.
If that's okay with you, I'll get someone to place your order.
squawk7000
Dabbler

James
thanks for prompt reply, pm sent
Ken
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum kmurry Smiley
Sorry about the avatar BTW...peer pressure Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Did Tiscali tell you they were moving you off the BT line and onto LLU? I thought that there was a requirement to tell you because of the obvious cost of migrating away.
I could be wrong of course.
itsme
Grafter

As far as I understand it for broadband when you sign up you have agreed that the broadband be supplied by any means the ISP deem. So can be LLU or BTw.
Reading the OP post it seem that the telephone has also been LLU'ed and reading the Tiscali site I can't find any reference to this. Also I can't remember whether Tiscali LLU platform is for both broadband and telephone. If the telephone has been moved onto a LLU platform then the OP should have been warned as this will incur a charge from BT for provision of telephone and broadband.
itsme
Grafter

From Kitz's
~ Are there any other Fees I should know about?
Full Cease of adsl on the line (not migration) = £15.75 + VAT
New adsl Provision (or migration from LLU) = £40.00 + VAT
Be aware about moving to/from a FMP LLU provider (TalkTalk & Tiscali), if they take control of your telephone line, then it will also cost to move back to a BT based line rental.
PSTN new line connection = £124.99 inc VAT
Conversion of FMPF LLU to a single Wholesale Access line = £40.96 inc VAT.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

After the 11th May -
- New provide £105
- Start of a stopped line: free
- Transfer an existing BT line to Plusnet: free
- Transfer from LLU service to Plusnet: free
- Transfer from cable to Plusnet: £105