phawley
Dabbler

Re: diabolical upload speed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: phawley
  Taken from Think Broadband website re factors affecting BB speed.

Where you live—The distance from your home to the local telephone exchange is the most common factor which affects DSL broadband services as the signal degrades the longer it needs to travel. If you have a fibre-optic broadband connection, you're less affected as the distances are shorter (from your home to the street cabinet instead of the exchange; see the fibre broadband guide for more details)
How near you live to your local exchange will affect the speed of your broadband. If you have fibre broadband, your speed shouldn't be as affected by line length.

Try reading what you've quoted properly.
from your home to the street cabinet instead of the exchange

The distance from the cabinet to your home will affect speed. In fact VDSL drops off more quickly with distance than ADSL.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

What you have highlighted above is under the assumption that you don't live far away from your FTTC Cabinet.
Unfortunately, in some circumstances, some customers do live a fair distance away from it which is the cause for low speeds. If you're unhappy with the speeds you're receiving, my advice would be to raise a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net and our Faults Team will take a look and will determine, in greater detail what can be done, if anything to improve things.
phawley
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
  Taken from Think Broadband website re factors affecting BB speed.

Where you live—The distance from your home to the local telephone exchange is the most common factor which affects DSL broadband services as the signal degrades the longer it needs to travel. If you have a fibre-optic broadband connection, you're less affected as the distances are shorter (from your home to the street cabinet instead of the exchange; see the fibre broadband guide for more details)
How near you live to your local exchange will affect the speed of your broadband. If you have fibre broadband, your speed shouldn't be as affected by line length.

Try reading what you've quoted properly.
from your home to the street cabinet instead of the exchange

The distance from the cabinet to your home will affect speed. In fact VDSL drops off more quickly with distance than ADSL.

I can read it perfectly and it says that if I have fibre then my speed should not be affected by line length.
Another point is that the length of copper  from my home to the cabinet has not changed, obviously the only change is the fibre from the exchange to the cabinet and if you are saying that the fibre is slower then everyone using that cabinet will be affected,
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With VDSL/FTTC distance is an absolutely important factor. FTTC is great if you live within a close vicinity of the cabinet, but if you have a fair bit of a distance between your property and the cabinet, the speeds start to dip quite considerably, as I've mentioned before and linked you to http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
The bottom line here is, regardless of what any website says, speeds are always going to be dictated by distance with this technology. ADSL/VDSL use different frequencies which is why you see such a dip in speeds over slightly longer distances.
phawley
Dabbler

I can read perfectly thank you and what I read is " If you have fibre broadband, your speed shouldn't be as affected by line length"
As I have just explained to Chris Pettit in a PM, the length of copper from my home to the cabinet has not changed and yet I have had better speeds the only thing that has changed is the fibre from the exchange to the cabinet and if that is as you say then A What is the point of installing it and B everyone using the cabinet would be affected.
phawley
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
With VDSL/FTTC distance is an absolutely important factor. FTTC is great if you live within a close vicinity of the cabinet, but if you have a fair bit of a distance between your property and the cabinet, the speeds start to dip quite considerably, as I've mentioned before and linked you to http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
The bottom line here is, regardless of what any website says, speeds are always going to be dictated by distance with this technology. ADSL/VDSL use different frequencies which is why you see such a dip in speeds over slightly longer distances.

But you are saying that the speed drop is in the fibre, then what is the point in installing it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Because it's dependant on the actual distance.
See the graph that I've linked you to, it shows just how drastically the speeds drop at a certain distance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I can read perfectly thank you

Hmmm... I think not!
and what I read is " If you have fibre broadband, your speed shouldn't be as affected by line length"

A tiny but important little word. It is not saying you won't be affected at all. The affects of distance from the cabinet are different because as Chris has pointed out VDSL uses higher frequencies that drop off much faster over the longer distances.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
phawley
Dabbler

So you are saying that the speed to the cabinet has been reduced by installing fibre?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, not at all.
I'm saying that FTTC uses a higher frequency which would cause a much more noticeable speed loss (as you can see) whereas on ADSL the frequency is lower and thus doesn't lose as much speed over extended distances.
Most of your D-side cabling is underground, and although road distance to your cabinet is relatively, it's actually quite long looking at Openreach's documentation for your line (around 2.5km).
phawley
Dabbler

Then why has my download speed doubled?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

For the very same reason.
80Mb is sent from the cabinet and depending on the distance the signal has to travel will depend on what speeds you get. As above, the longer it has to travel and the higher the frequency will depend on what sort of range the speeds will start to dive.
The upstream is quite relative to the downstream. A full 80/20 line will probably see through speeds of around 17Mb on the upstream, and the same rule applies, the longer the distance, the lower the speeds are going to be. The downstream is going to be a little more forgiving as it uses more of the frequency than the upstream does which is why you see higher speeds always given on the downstream than the upstream.
Back in the day, some business needed high upstream and downstream which is why SDSL was introduced.