cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charged £30 to cancel after bereavement!

balmedie
Dabbler

charged £30 to cancel after bereavement!

Shame on you plus net!!!!
I have been a loyal plus net user for what must be over 10 years by now, but this concerns my partner, who paid for her mum's broadband!
My partners mum passed away last year, but we kept the phone (which was BT) and broadband going for the time being until her mums estate was wound up and the house went up for sale as we knew we were going to be back and forth for a few months to sort the house out.
Anyway, today was finally the day to cancel the phone line and broadband (user name oakroad12) and she called BT who cancelled the phone line no problem, no questions no charges even providing a refund seeing it was paid in advance.
Called plus net to cancel only to be told that she had to pay a £30 cancellation fee, when she explained the situation to the agent he went to speak to a "manager" who confirmed that as the broadband was in her name and not her mum's she was liable!!!
Not happy with you at all "best customer service" my ar*e!
There is a time and a place to claim your £30 cancellation fee, but I honestly think in this situation it should have been waived!
Now thinking its time for me to move on to another provider that has a bit of heart (ok so chances of finding one are slim!)
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: charged £30 to cancel after bereavement!

You are complaining to the wrong people - Plusnet are only passing on the charge which they have to pay to BTw for cancelling broadband.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

When my father died not only was there no cancellation fee from BT, but they actually just wrote off the final bill.
I only found that out when, as executor, I chased them up because I was trying to reconcile everything and hadn't had a final/closing bill.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sorry to say this, but the Plusnet manager is quite right in my opinion, though that may seem hard for the OP. There is no contract between her partner's mum and Plusnet.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just rereading, it's also further complicated by effectively "taking over" the phone line and continuing to pay the rental as that in effect creates a contract.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi balmedie,
I'm really sorry for your loss.
I've taken a look at the account and I can see that in this instance that cancellation charges were applicable I'm afraid. I appreciate that it is a very difficult time for yourself and your family and discussing accounts is probably the last thing you want to do.
The service has continued to be used and we are charged for terminating the service, which means that the cost of this is passed on. We do try our best to deal with such situations the best we can.