cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You should *at least* be available when you say you're going to be

YellowBarley
Grafter

You should *at least* be available when you say you're going to be

OK so putting my other problems with your current service to one side for a second, please be available for your business Customers when you say you're going to be available *as a minimum*.
Should I be cynical?
19 REPLIES 19
catelliott
Grafter

Re: You should *at least* be available when you say you're going to be

Hi there,
I'm really sorry about this, our Business chat teams should be available until 17:30, this may be a system issue. Did you manage to get through to someone in the end?
YellowBarley
Grafter

No. Frankly this might just be the straw which breaks the camels back.
Can you outline my home & business account cancellation rights please (both are with you). We've today requested a house move with you but clearly I don't want that happen after recent performance issues at home and *the worst* experience with my work account.
catelliott
Grafter

Looking at the account, there would be early termination charges if you wished to leave, this is something that you are probably best discussing with our Business Customer Options team. They can be reached on 0800 013 2632 Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm.
Alternatively, our Business Support team is available until 8:00pm on 0800 028 0282 if you need help with another problem.
YellowBarley
Grafter

Would this not apply though?
"4. What if you don't fix my problem?
If you have a speed problem within the first three months of your service and we cannot fix it we will waive all contractual obligations and allow you to leave us for free...."
We were pointed at BTW by PN (at the time of signup) which said, 14-16Mb.  Now the line is active that has miraculously dropped to 6Mb.  We're actually seeing <2Mb.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi YellowBarley,
What has thus far been done to investigate / rectify these issues?  Other than internal wiring synch speed is entirely predicated on the quality of the BTOR supplied phone line between your premises and the exchange.  If there is an issue with this, then it is highly likely that any fault will transfer with you if you change ISP at the same property.  SYNCH speed is not something which the ISP has direct influence over.
Have the end user domain issues been eliminated?  Internal phone extension wiring, changed filters etc.?
Is there any noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.  Do this regularly - noise can be intermittent, which can also make it difficult to locate and fix.  PlusNet business support can be very persistent in trying to work with BTOR / BTw to resolve such issues, but it can be like trying to push water uphill.  I had an issue which ran over 6 months until finally I got a BTOR engineer committed to doing the job properly, after which the line performed well above expectations and those in the area.
Are you rural?
Are the speeds to which you refer SYNCH speed or DATA test speeds?  If the latter is that over WiFi or wired?
A full set of diagnostic data (as per the speed issues link below) would be most useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

YellowBarley
Grafter

What has been done?  Lots - the thread for the performance issue is here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138426.0.html
Essentially we're paying for 16Mb (as estimated at the time of sale), being delivered 3Mb and following a livechat today, I know now that PN plan to say this is acceptable.  We've been downgraded to 40/2 in an attempt to resolve the speed but I've already been advised by a chap at PN called Nick Godbehere that we'll see that speed some time "never in a million years" so I'm not holding my breath.
Yes, we are rural but that hasn't changed since we started this process.  As I see it the problem is that we're 2+ miles from our cabinet so should never have been sold fibre in the first place as it is completely unsuitable over this distance (again that is from Nick Godbehere).  PN knew our location and the location of our cabinet when we placed our order but they wanted the sale and now they're saying that we're tied into a contract with them.  I find that absolutely disgusting.
A few minutes ago I was cut-off mid chat with a business team member called Jamie and I'm absolutely ______ fuming.  I asked where I could view my tickets in the Business Member centre (which Jamie had previously told me I could do) and the chat mysteriously ended.
YellowBarley
Grafter

Hi @Townman, to more specifically answer your questions:
Quote from: Townman
SYNCH speed is not something which the ISP has direct influence over.

Is this the speed BTW tells us?  That is currently 15.81Mbps with a profile of 16.49Mbps - I've attached a further diagnostics test to this post.
Have the end user domain issues been eliminated?  Internal phone extension wiring, changed filters etc.?

Our setup has moved from BT copper to Fibre.  Everything else has remained the same and previously we were getting around 6Mb on the copper connection.  We've tried three separate routers at this end and the problem is present in each of them.  We can ping the routers at <1ms.
Is there any noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.  Do this regularly - noise can be intermittent, which can also make it difficult to locate and fix.

BTOR engineer who came to investigate why - since the PN install - we're now also having calls dropped on our other (BT) phoneline, tested both and said they pass the noise & quiet line tests "so everything is fine with those".  Also, I don't have the hardware available to me to do a wired test of the phoneline.
PlusNet business support can be very persistent in trying to work with BTOR / BTw to resolve such issues, but it can be like trying to push water uphill.

Thus far my experience (after the initial honeymoon 'let's do you proud' period) is much the same as riding a bycicle into a brick wall.  Repeatedly.

Are you rural?

We are, and herein lies the problem (I think).  At 2+ miles from the cabinet which serves our premises fibre just isn't a suitable product for us.  Of course you don't find *that* little nugget of information out until the contract is signed, monies are paid and the sales-spiel speeds become completely unrealistic.
Are the speeds to which you refer SYNCH speed or DATA test speeds?  If the latter is that over WiFi or wired?

I confestt I don't know the difference, although I *do* know my connection is always wired.  As above, our BTW line profile is 16Mb.  We're running a connection quality test over at ISP Geeks dot com which is backing up our real-world experience of things.  That of a VERY slow connection.
A full set of diagnostic data (as per the speed issues link below) would be most useful.

I think I've attached what you refer to but clearly, if not do let me know.  I'm also updating the other thread with daily ping stats to try and keep this moving (otherwise all I'm getting from PN is silence at the moment) - todays make for grimly familiar reading.  Although they're better than yesterdays.
Sorry for the long, multi-quote post - twas the only way I could think to remember everything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi YellowBarley,
Given the figures you were quoting in the feedback thread I rather (foolishly?) presumed your were discussing ADSL - fibre is somewhat different!
Quote from: YellowBarley
SYNCH speed is not something which the ISP has direct influence over.

Is this the speed BTW tells us?  That is currently 15.81Mbps with a profile of 16.49Mbps - I've attached a further diagnostics test to this post.

That is a good question and possibly one to start clarifying matters for you.  The "what you can get figures" always refers to LINE SYNCH speed, which is the raw speed at which ones and noughts are sent over the wires.
How much of that you can exploit into DATA speed is very much a matter of the quality of the line and the performance of the "end" equipment.  The synch speed is entirely in the gift of BTOR and is nothing to do with any ISP product offer.  At 2 miles, VDSL is working on the edge of viability - certainly "down grading" to the slower "up to" fibre product is good a good fiscal move.  However the length and state of the BTOR wires connecting your premises to the cabinet will always be the limiting factor.
I know much more about ADSL than Fibre, but I believe the basic principles still apply...
The "Profile speed" is a fraction of the SYNCH speed and is the maximum rate at which PlusNet will try to send data so as to not "stress" the weakest part of the link.  For ADSL this is 88.2% of the synch speed.  That might imply that the line synch is around 18.7Mbps which is well aligned to the expectation which was set at the time of sale.
Quote from: YellowBarley
Essentially we're paying for 16Mb (as estimated at the time of sale)

The BTw speed test reports a down load speed of 15.81Mbps and is quite respectable for the line's profile, however the upload is rather poor by any measure.
Data Speed tests are a black art all of their own - the BTw speed report is a DATA download and up load test - it states that the download speed is within expectations, so one needs to explore the accuracy of the other tests you are running.  Different tests run tests in less than obvious methods and not all of them are truly representative of real world use.
Have you run the Think Broadband Speed test?  It is both single and multi threading and might point to something to be examined.
The upload speed and slow ping times are of concern and could be related.  Down loaded data needs to be "acknowledged" so slow ack replies will impact the perceived performance of down load testing, which might explain why those particular data speed tests are so very different form the "same space" test results from BTw.
I would advise against jumping back to ADSL as you are never going to see 16Mbps+ SYNCH speed (as you have at the moment) over ADSL.. The focus needs to be on why you apparently are getting so little effective DATA speed out of a line hitting the expectations for SYNCH speed.
The dropping of phone calls is not good news - that needs fixing, even if it means that BTOR have to trace the d-side line and re-fix every joint - sometimes that is the only way of fixing intermittent issues.
Long story short...
Your LINE SYNCH speed appears to be right for your estimate (based on the BT reported profile)
The BTw DS DATA SPEED test is respectable for the reported profile
The BTw US DATA SPEED test rather points to an issue which needs investigating
The ping speeds are of some concern; they might be simply related to the US speed
There could be noise on the line - difficult to locate and fix by BTOR
There could be intermittent interference - REIN - even more difficult for BTOR to locate and they do not have a remit to fix
There could be issues with the speed test technology which reports 2Mbps DATA speeds, given the BTw results - do consider trying other test tools.
@CRT / others can cross talk affect US more than DS on VDSL?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

YellowBarley
Grafter

I tried that test a few days ago and just got 100% packet loss.  Turned off firewall, still 100% packet loss.  I've just tried it again, same result.
FYI, we're using the connection quality test from ISPgeeks.com.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hmm...
ISPgeeks.com is a US based site, so you're basing your perceived speeds on a round trip across the Atlantic, and possibly trans-continental as well, depending on which test site you choose. It also uses Java.
The test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html is certainly worth trying, and you can paste the results like this:

(Obtained by selecting the "BB Code for Forums" option and pasting the text in here)
YellowBarley
Grafter

As before, when I try to run the TBB quality test, as stated above, I just get 100% packet loss. I'm not on site now so I can't try the speed test again.
However, at present our fibre broadband is unable to stream music and we're seeing ping results (to the BBC) which are both unacceptably slow - up to 900ms -  *and* consistently highly variable. You can see these in the other thread mentioned above.
I'm afraid I just don't believe that we're seeing 15+Mb speed (which is what Ookla, BTW and most other speed tests return). I've got 6Mb ADSL at home and can quite happily stream HD movies to the chromecast with multiple devices connected both wired & wireless.  Yet a supposedly faster service at work can't cope with one machine trying to stream music, or browse the Web (30sec page loads) or access email/remote database data.
I'm now getting nothing but silence from PN and a BT Openreach engineer said that as it all tests OK "there isn't a problem" and if any alleged problem is intermittent they'll never find it - this is unbelievably frustrating.
Particularly as this is my business account and PN come across as though they really, really couldn't care less.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm certainly not making excuses for PN, but it's very odd that you can't get the TBB Speedtest to work. Can you get to any part of the site?
Perhaps try a download from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/?
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@YellowBarley
Please drop me a PM with your ticket ref or username. I am keen to investigate your connection issues further, and work within the escalation s team at Plusnet Business.
At the very least, I can raise this to BT Wholesale Managers and see if there is anything we can do to help.
I will also discuss this with our Business Manager tomorrow.
YellowBarley
Grafter

@Jaggies, I can do the speed test: it typically returns 14-16Mb, although this morning this was down to 9Mb.
What I can't run is the broadband quality monitor, with security on or off it just returns 100% packet loss.
@Scrookes, you'll notice there is still no response to my ticket or other thread - I have sent you a PM with the information you asked for.