Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You - or more accurately your supplier - didn't find the fault

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You - or more accurately your supplier - didn't find the fault

A little bit of history
I have had an intermittent fault for well over a year and raised at least 2 fault reports and had 3 engineer visits which failed to solve it
The fault was that sometimes, but not always, an incoming call would create a large number of errors often causing a loss of sync and sometimes the resync would be at a much lower upstream rate (as low as 196kbps).
Since transferring to 21CN on ADSL1 the problem has completely gone away which clearly points to the problem being in the exchange.
The purpose of this post is to ask if Plusnet or indeed BT Openreach have the ability to monitor the bit per tone loading. The reason for asking this is that there was a significant change as shown by these before and after graphs which clearly shows the problem and could have been used for diagnosis as the fault should have been obvious to an experienced engineer.
3 REPLIES 3
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: You - or more accurately your supplier - didn't find the fault

We have no way of monitoring this. I'm not sure if our suppliers are able to, I've never seen them do it (or at least tell us that they have) but I've asked one of my colleagues in the Faults Team for a more specific answer. I'll get back to you.
Edit: typo
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
Even with the ADSL1 service the line is still erroring but very slightly. You've mentioned that on ADSL2+ the line errors increase and the upload sync rate goes downhill after a drop. this make sense as both the upload and the PSTN service use low frequency. Bit loading is not something BTwholesale looks at normally. However, we can keep the line on ADSL1 and raise a fault to check both D and E sides on the Copper.
The symptoms suggest that the problem is likely to be within the copper line itself or the line Concentrator at the exchange (PSTN equipment).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ramidoodle,
You have the wrong end of the stick.
I have never had ADSL2
The before graph was on 20CN and the after graph on 21CN but still on ADSL1
Regardless as to the line still having slight errors that isn't a problem although I just had an unexplained drop of sync (could that have been you fiddling  ;D)
I am quite happy with my line now.
The point I was making is that the bit per tone graph, if it had been checked, should have shown up the problem at the exchange which was fixed by transferring from DSLAM to MSAN at the exchange. This could therefore have been used to verify that the problem had been sorted by the BT engineer before claiming it had been. As the fault was intermittent but the bits per tone graph was constant it would have been easy to check if reseating the line card (which they did try) had in fact fixed it.