cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woefully inadequate customer service

jimadine
Hooked

Woefully inadequate customer service

I have been trying to contact Plusnet via email, online chat and phone on a number of occasions in the last few weeks, and for one reason or another have not had a satisfactory outcome. I have never experienced anything quite as frustrating as this.

Here's the timeline:

24/5/2017: Received an email from Plusnet concerning plans to increase the monthly line rental charge, and that to switch and avoid early termination charges I need to contact Plusnet within 30 days
21/6/2017: Phoned Plusnet to discuss. After some discussion the rep removed my contract allowing me to switch penalty free. Was told that I should contact new ISP and once new service in place, contact Plusnet for a refund on the unused days of my pre-paid Line Rental Saver. Question 152126164 was raised, confirming the removal of the contract.
10/7/2017: New provider's service goes live
12/7/2017: Spent some time composing an email to support@plus.net, only to receive an automatic reply saying Plusnet prefer electronic 'tickets' to emails (why not use a "do not reply" type address then! or just have the emails enter the ticket workflow!)
12/7/2017: Phoned Plusnet - on hold for a long time - gave up after 37 minutes
13/7/2017: Used online chat - another long wait - transcript reports 34 minutes, but actually chatting time was only a few minutes. Was told that line rental saver is non-refundable. I insisted that I had been told it is but was advised to speak to COT (?). Chat rep raised Question 153605149.
14/7/2017: Used online chat again - less of a wait - was finally told:
"i have arranged the correct team to look into this for you and refund you for the days you have not had a service from us they will email you with a update within 3 to 5 days" . No Question raised so no reference for the conversation. Just the transcript.
21/7/2017: Needless to say I haven't received an email. Called Plusnet again. 10 minute call wait, not too bad. Was told yet again that line rental saver is non-refundable. Line was poor and midway through me explaining the history, the Plusnet rep stopped being able to hear what I was saying due to the bad line and hung up.

I'm at the end of my tether with Plusnet. Is someone able to explain this nonsense?

6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Woefully inadequate customer service

There does seem to be a lack of clarity on this LRS refund issue with a number of conflicting responses.

This response may be useful.

@JonoH  @Chris  Is there a definitive PN response on this subject?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jimadine
Hooked

Thanks for the reply and link, MauriceC. To my mind there is no question as to whether I am due the refund; that was the deciding factor when I discussed cancelling with Plusnet on 21 June. (If the refund wasn't due then it would cost me more to switch, and I wouldn't of bothered).

Also, and I know it's not a site endorsed or associated with Plusnet, but the information at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2017/05/plusnet-to-increase-line-rental-and-call-charge... backs this up:

When suppliers raise line rental costs, existing customers have 30 days during which they can leave their contract penalty-free.

Plusnet also confirmed that those who've paid for line rental upfront will be able to get refunded for the remaining months of the annual period, should they choose to leave.

A Plusnet spokesperson said: "All we ask is that customers let us know within 30 days of being informed and give us 14 days' notice."

I just want Plusnet to action the refund, please, without me having to jump through hoops to get there. I don't think that's asking too much.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Jimadine, apologies for the confusion upon your migration away from us and I'm sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Due to this query being account specific I have replied to you via your account that can be accessed here

Kind regards,

Ben

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @BD  I appreciate that a response to a particular user must be kept private.

However there does appear to a problem with the information being communicated by the help desk:

13/7/2017: Used online chat - another long wait - transcript reports 34 minutes, but actually chatting time was only a few minutes. Was told that line rental saver is non-refundable. I insisted that I had been told it is but was advised to speak to COT (?).

The highlit section does not appear to conform to Ofcom guidelines indicating that least some internal 'refresher' training is needed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

The problem here is often because only our Customer Options Team can do this process, but basically these are the points.

• Customers have a right to receive a refund on their advanced line rental in the event of an increase to the monthly subscription amount of the other elements of their package (e.g. broadband).
  • Customers will be issued pro rata reimbursements to cover the remainder of their contract.
  • The COT agent would calculate the refund, and issue it.
  • If customer doesn’t want to schedule the account close on the day, but advises they wish to cancel due to the price rise the then agent would need to cancel the LRS, refund the pro rata amount and put the customer onto normal monthly line rental in case they don’t decide to leave.
 Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jimadine
Hooked

Thank you very much Ben, your help is very much appreciated. I have read your reply via the Question you created, and am now hopeful that this matter will be concluded satisfactorily in the coming days.