cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why you always treat new customers far far better than your loyal customers?

FIXED
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Why you always treat new customers far far better than your loyal customers?

@TeeGee wrote:

A crucial matter with all ISPs is who provides the email account? PN email works very well for me and I would be reluctant to lose that. I also believe I have historic webspace but even if it still exists I have no idea how to access it!

It is not all about price but a bit more clarity and consistency would be appeciated!

Why not make a gradual switch to a webmail account - gmail will spy on you & offer lots of storage - or you could get a free account at protonmail (500MB) and get some serious security & privacy?

Other webmail offerings are available...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Why you always treat new customers far far better than your loyal customers?

Hi @Zerinth I’m sorry to see we weren’t able to offer you a deal you like for us to keep you as a customer and you’re leaving as a result. 

Technically once you’ve left you can re-sign up as a new customer straight away with us, there’s no time limitation. 

Personally there are loads of things to consider as well as cost when deciding whether to renew or go such as the hassle with switching if something goes wrong during a transfer or afterwards, not to mention you won’t have the benefit of our pretty amazing customer support. Wink

If you do decide to go, I’d like to wish you all the best with your new provider and fingers crossed your transfer will go smoothly and hope we’ll see you back at some point in the future.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

"another is the discrepancy between sync speed "guaranteed" and dl speed "not guaranteed" by VF  uhhh lol?)"

There will always be a discrepancy between sync speed and download speed.

Sync speed is the raw transfer speed between the router and the exchange in pure bits.  In the case of ADSL the number of bits then available for data is limited to 88.2% of the raw data speed.  I do not know what that metric is for FTTC, but I doubt it is 100%.

The Download (data) speed then also factored by your internal network, the capability of your device, the capacity / congestion of your exchange up-stream for your chosen ISP.  Also add to that the routing capacity of your chosen ISP and the difference between sync speed and data speed can be quite marked and very variable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Red_devil
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I'm interested that a price match or near price match might be available.

I have been with plusnet over 20 years and have always found them to be helpful at renewal until this year.

I rang this week and was firstly told that the best they could do for me was £41.99 a month (fibre extra including calls).

I checked around and could get that speed with calls for £28 from Vodafone (and £80 cashback).

I rang plusnet back and told them this (not mentioning the cashback) and the guy just said "that's a great deal - take it".

I don't particularly want to leave plusnet but even with my c£5 a month referral discount I feel that they are pushing me out.

Is there a reason that they didn't even attempt to get near the Vodafone deal?

Obviously if I leave I will also lose my referrals which makes it much less likely that I would ever return.

Some way to treat a loyal customer eh?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't know if it works, but it might be possible to convert your account to an email-only account after leaving.

You would need to look at your emails every few weeks (months?) - but you might keep your referrals.

I might be completely wrong about this - probably am!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Red_devil
Grafter

I was going to keep the email going for at least a few months until people know I've moved but I think the referrals go either way.

I was just amazed that the customer service people just didn't care at all. 

Seems crazy to be throwing money at 'new' customers but effectively forcing loyal ones to leave.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

AFAIK referral credits are not paid on non-subscription accounts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your post @Red_devilI'm sorry to see we couldn't offer you a deal you wanted to keep you as a customer, the impression you got from the advisers you spoke with and you're now looking to leave after so long with us. Sad

I'd be happy to arrange for somebody from our customer options team to call you back to discuss this further and see if there's any deal we can agree on for you to stay with us. 

If you're happy with giving us another go, can you send me a private message with the best contact number to get you on and a time frame when you'd be free for a call?

If you've made your decision to go based on the experience you've had, I'd like to thank you for your loyalty over the past 20 years and wish you all the best with your new provider and hope you'll choose to return at some point in the future.

To keep an account open just for your emails, we'd need to allow your account to cancel down fully as this destroys all the chargeable components (broadband, line rental etc).

If you can post back afterwards, we'll then get your account reactivated and you'd just need to reconfigure your emails at http://www.plus.net/email as you had them before (If you haven't already I'd recommend heading there before your account is cancelled to make a note of the configuration i.e. what mailboxes you've got etc)

During the transition you'll be without emails for a short period but it shouldn't be any longer than a day or so once you've told us you want your account reactivating to email only and you've then reconfigured your email online. 

Finally you'd be right that you'll lose your referral credit if you move your broadband away as we stopped refunding accrued referral credits for free accounts in 2017. 

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Red_devil
Grafter

PM sent.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, let me discuss this with a colleague in our sales and retentions team when I'm in the office this afternoon to see what we can offer. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet