Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was i misinformed when signing up to broadband

curtains
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Why was i misinformed when signing up to broadband

Back last month I was searching the internet for a better deal on broadband and plusnet had the best offer but I didn't sign up as my contract wasn't up with bt until February. I then had a phone call off plusnet to say I didn't take up the offer and can they help me with anything, So I told the women on the phone that my contract with bt doesn't end until February and she said as I'm in my last month of my contract I have the right to change over to another provider. So I signed up to plusnet over the phone but now bt have sent me an email saying I owe £87.94 for stopping my bt services. So I went on to live chat to tell them what has happened and there reply was what do you want me to do about it?
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why was i misinformed when signing up to broadband

Have you asked BT to justify the charge as, assuming you contract runs out when you say, it doesn't match their cancellation charges http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/contracts-early-termination.html
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you would need to go and ask BT.
plusnet have no control over what BT try to charge you.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

BT require 30 days notice to cancel their service, and may try and charge £30 cancelation fee, which if PlusNet followed the correct process BT should not charge.
You need to look at the Bill from BT, and see what they are charging you for.
curtains
Grafter

Charges for ending your contract early - Because your service has stopped before the end of your contract, you'll need to pay £1.94 for the remaining months.
Charge for stopping your broadband - You'll need to pay £31.00 for stopping your broadband.
Charge for your equipment - You'll need to pay £55.00 for your outstanding equipment charges. You can find out more about this under 'Deferred payment for equipment.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you'll need to speak to BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately it does look like the £31 cease fee with them would be applicable as you opted to take a new number when signing up with us, because of this it will have ceased the line and re-provided with ourselves as opposed to migrating over to us.
Quote from: curtains
she said as I'm in my last month of my contract I have the right to change over to another provider.

Are you saying that one of our advisors told you that you can cancel with BT in the last month of your contract? As they should not be giving advice on other providers cancellation procedures and if that's the case I'd like to pass feedback on and make sure the appropriate action is taken.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
curtains
Grafter

When I signed up with you I didn't opt to have a new phone number. I thought you was contacting bt to take over my line.
Yes I am saying that one of your advisors told me that I can cancel with BT in the last month of my contract. Would you think I would have signed up with you if I knew I would have been charged so much for leaving bt.
dick:quote
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I just wanted to confirm the person you were talking about was working for Plusnet, as opposed to being told something by BT and then being charged.
Leave this with me, I'll be chasing this up further. I'll need to raise an escalation with the call centre you spoke to so I can get them to listen to the call and get back to me. I'll also be raising a ticket on your account so I can monitor this and provide updates via your account in regards to the situation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
curtains
Grafter

I would like to say a big thank you to harry and chris for sorting out the problem  Smiley
dick:quote