cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not allow cancellation online ? Everything else is online ...

irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why not allow cancellation online ? Everything else is online ...

My dad died this morning.  I am logged on as him and looking for the cancellation option.  There isn't one.  I have to phone.  Then they say I must write a personal letter !!  It is an internet company !
I set up the account for my dad; I should be able to cancel it for my dad (or even for myself if I want to) without writing a letter.
They are quite simply trying to make it difficult for anyone to cancel.
Oh - they also want a death certificate (not yet issued and will be 160 miles away in any case).
It should be quite simple - log on and cancel.  That's it.
Bearing in mind Plusnet's attitude, there is a distinct possibility that I will now be cancelling my account too.
Angry
12 REPLIES 12
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Why not allow cancellation online ? Everything else is online ...

You can cancel by ticket if you want - they just prefer you to call.
In many (other) situations it can be easier to call - but I'm certain they will process your request if you make it via a ticket.
Sorry to hear of your loss. Sad
Not applicable

Again, sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully someone from PN will pick this up and give you a call.
Unfortunately, there is so much to do after a bereavement, made worse by the fact that you are
distressed yourself.
The death certificate issue is one that is very commonplace and often companies demand originals,
not copies.  I don't know whether this is a legal requirement.
I know when we registered my friend's husband's death she had to purchase about 6 for this
very reason. 
I hope that you soon get this sorted to your satisfaction.
mal0z
Grafter

Sorry to hear of your loss -
but why not just put it the hands of the solicitors - they deal with all creditors and obtain refunds etc etc .
This is what I did with my parents affairs.
I seem to recall that the reason that they like to talk to people on the phone, is to sort out issues as to why the person wants to cancel and from experience they found they were able to resolve the problem .
Clearly there are situations such as yours that do not suit that approach, and in the circumstances I'm sure one of the Comm start with sort it out for you. ( I've sent a PM to Chris Parr )
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

May I offer my condolences and wish for a speedy solution from PN.
You have enough to think about at this distressing time.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My condolences also. I had to deal my mothers death about 18 months ago and it's amazing the different experiences with various companies. To be honest I don't recall many wanting a death certificate apart from the company providing her TV repair insurance, in order to get the premium refunded. I had some issues with one of the utility companies who insisted on addressing letters to her  but at my address, and hoping that she would return to using them again in the future!!!!. The best company to deal with, and you're probably going to be amazed by this given their reputation for customer service, was British Gas. On my first telephone call to them I advised that my mother was recently deceased and I needed to cancel her account, they immediately said ' Just hold on a moment sir I'll transfer you to our bereavement department' . From then on they knew exactly what they needed to do , all correspondence was correctly and sympathetically addressed, they were excellent!. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi i.g.,
I'm very sorry that happened, and condolences on your loss. You shouldn't have had the request for a death certificate, and if you submit us a written ticket with a brief explanation we'll be able to take it from there. You can raise the ticket at http://contactus.plus.net
irritablegit
Rising Star

Matt
"if you submit us a written ticket with a brief explanation we'll be able to take it from there. You can raise the ticket at http://contactus.plus.net "
I already did it - number 31675588
Quite right.  The death certificate is completely irrelevant.  Dead or alive, some people just want to cancel.  I expect a cancel button.
(Why is it that sales phone numbers are so often free: cancellations and the like are non-geographical and ex[pensive - then kept hanging on ?  Why can a new service be ordered online whilst a cancellation requires a letter in the post ??)
I really do not want all this hassle.  We could just stop the payments at our end.
I am doing you a favour by telling you that you need to cancel it at your end
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

There is actually a petition just started about the difficulties of cancellations - the address is http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Cancel-on-Web/

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@irritablegit, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Thinking back to when my father died (some years after my mother) and I dealt with everything, I took my time though I started straight away with some things (notifying people mainly).
No-one expects to be told immediately and many will backdate things and obviously realise that any debts may not be paid for ages if they come from the estate. I recall getting very confused with BT bills as they just wrote everything off - as executor I couldn't get a "proper" final bill out of them.
I didn't cancel any services (apart from directly personal ones) immediately in case the family needed them at his home - e.g. phone etc.
The same may apply to broadband; obviously I don't know your exact situation.
irritablegit
Rising Star

Thanks to everyone above
Special thanks to @brewerdave  - I will be signing up for that.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again i.g.,
Just to confirm that the cancellation has been processed and there's tickets on both accounts detailing. I'm sorry for the previous requests.
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@irritablegit - sorry for your loss
@brewerdave - I'll be signing too!!