cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't it possible to request a residential BB product on a business line?

MrC
Grafter

Why isn't it possible to request a residential BB product on a business line?

OK, this might be a bit of a daft Q Smiley
I'm trying to arrange a broadband connection for a non-profit society. This society exists to provide benefits (TV, satellite, sweet machine, that sort of stuff) in a messroom at a railway station. The station has it's own postcode and obviously isn't a residential address!
I've arranged for a new BT exchange line in the premises. This had to be set up as a business line in my name t/as the society as the BT sign-up doesn't allow for non-profit societies.
We just want a simple connection only broadband product, we don't need email, webspace, domains or anything of that ilk. However if I try to sign up for a PN residential product using our phone number and postcode it complains that the location is incompatible with the product and refuses to go any further. After a chat with a nice CSC bloke it seems the only way to get a residential product is to get our business line reclassified as residential, and I've raised this as a query with BT.
However, is there any real reason (eg regulatory) why you can't order a residential product on a business line, or is this just the way that PN work?
Mike
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Why isn't it possible to request a residential BB product on a business line?

Apparently there is an imminent business product refresh due which might contain a product suitable for your needs.
However Jim was still wearing short trousers when this was first promised so I wouldn't hold my breath!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why isn't it possible to request a residential BB product on a business line?

Who - me  Grin
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Apparently there is an imminent business product refresh due which might contain a product suitable for your needs.

Hmm, not sure we can wait that long..... Wink
Edit: Plus it looks like it is a PN restriction as I can go to say Eclipse and, if I start the on-line ordering gubbins, they seem quite happy to accept our phone no. and postcode. And although it costs a bit more it's only a 12 month contract. Hmmm....tempting..... Undecided
Quote from: jelv
However Jim was still wearing short trousers when this was first promised so I wouldn't hold my breath!

I see Jim has a picture of his knees in his sig line Smiley
Mike
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Embarrassed Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is it the smooth on the left or the old gnarled look on the right   Cool Roll_eyes Cool
MrC
Grafter

Is there any chance a PN staffer could comment on this as I've now tried a couple of other ISPs and managed to get their online signups to accept our business line for their residential broadband products.
I really would like to sign up for a residential Plusnet Unlimited a/c but at the moment it looks like I'll be off to another ISP Sad
Mike
Anon
Pro

I think you should ring up and talk to PN, I know they have done this, but perhaps a comment from them on here blurs the lines in a way they would not like to do in public.
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
MrC
Grafter

I have tried that - maybe I'll have another go and scream a bit louder Smiley
Mike
Be3G
Grafter

Alternative you could PM James - I know how he loves receiving them...
MrC
Grafter

Good idea - hopefully today isn't a pseudo-Monday....
Mike
MrC
Grafter

...and it wasn't. Issue now sorted with the kind help of James.
Mike