cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do new customers get better offers than existing ones?

isdoo
Dabbler

Why do new customers get better offers than existing ones?

Trying to work out why I should stick with Plusnet?  As a new customer you quote me less than the 'special' offers in the members area which runs out in 2 days and I assume will be even higher.

Although to be honest if I did it is cheaper for me to join again and then wait for the transfer from Plusnet to Plusnet.

I wonder what would happen? Anyone know?

Especially as I will be going from regular broadband to FTTP

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Why do new customers get better offers than existing ones?

@isdoo Welcome to the community forum.

A simpler option is to ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask them to match the new customer deal. It costs nothing to ask.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

isdoo
Dabbler

Thanks.

Although I have to ask why should I?  The point here is why do they get better offers than under the offers section of the website. Loyalty isn't a factor these days. 

Anyone know what happens if you try and join again for the same company? 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you went for FTTP then it would go through as that is how some people are handling the move to FTTP so keeping their old ADSL/FTTC link running and then porting out the landline number to a VOIP provider which terminates the old contract. (Plusnet FTTP is data only, no phone line so you lose the landline number if you upgrade any existing account)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
isdoo
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime  interesting. 

Where can I find out more? 

Didn't know that was possible. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

New customers do not need to phone up and haggle to get the best price - why should existing customers?

Why don't Plusnet save money on the call centre staff that deal with unhappy customers looking for a better deal, and just offer existing customers a better deal in the first place?

I no longer use Plusnet, but I am the account holder for my sister's connection. I will move that away at the end of the contract as she is eligible for a social tariff from other ISPs.

I could save money now by recontracting from the existing ADSL connection to 40MB/s FTTC, but although it is cheaper than the current ADSL deal it is still £3pm more than a new customer would pay.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@isdoo 

Look in the Full Fibre threads. This one summaries the many chats on said board and although without staff input, does show the state of play (as far as known)

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Full-Fibre-now-available-to-me-a-few-questions/m-p/1890347#... 

Although remember as a "new customer" to tick the box shown in this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-and-Residential-number-porting/m-p/1885543#M18633 to retain your FTTC line

But I would ask for  @Gandalf  to confirm first

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@corringham 

Indeed, the focus on customer acquisition whilst showing a marked disregard for customer retention is quite incomprehensible.  Growing market share is substantially achieved by reducing user churn - having invested in acquiring new users, ensuring that they remain customers is the cheapest approach to doing that.

It ought not to be possible to sell to new users at a loss, expecting loyal customers to pay for that loss and deliver the profit margin.  This space is not like a supermarket, selling a few lines as loss leaders to EVERYONE to get them in through the doors in the hope that EVERYONE will by the higher margin products whilst shopping.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Baldrick1 wrote:

A simpler option is to ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask them to match the new customer deal. It costs nothing to ask.

I am not condoning this pricing.policy, I am simply pointing out a work round, which I totally agree, should not be necessary.

I suspect that it would be far simpler and eliminate the probable disruption to the connection that cancellation then signing up as a new customer would cause.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'