cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Pnet not give 10 days DD notice

Anon
Pro

Why do Pnet not give 10 days DD notice

The Direct Debit website clearly sets out the guarantee so that customers can feel safe when they agree to use one.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

it shows that the notice period for a DD is "normally 10 working days". That allows for customers to see the new amount, check it and get back to the originator if the amount is incorrect and allows for the DD to be changed before it is taken.

Why are Pnet not normal ie abnormal in giving only 3 days notice so that there is no time for correction before being taken. That means that when something is wrong one has to take the decision to cancel the DD, as I have just done, thus putting my bank to more work, when it is Pnet's inability to get things right combined with their abnormal arrangement to give only 3 days notice, which does not allow for change.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
27 REPLIES 27
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Why do Pnet not give 10 days DD notice

Why not use the next point mentioned in the Guarantee linked to above:

• If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

No need to cancel the DD. The bank will refund you and seek the funds back from the company then pursue the correct payment. If, of course it has been adjusted.

Plusnet have only made one or two errors in my DD payments over the last 14 years and have always given a refund of the overcharge in a timely manner but I would have invoked the above clause if they hadn't.

Edit: I have used to above with other companies where the amounts have been quite large but for the couple of pounds in Plusnet's case I preferred to wait for the refunds to come through.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anon
Pro

Yes, I have used the next point, my terminology was not quite right, I have not cancelled the whole DD just that payment. Yes my bank has refunded the amount, nothing to do with Pnet, now my bank gets the money back from Pnet's bank. I hope they charge them a very large amount for that.

Interesting that although this is entirely Pnet's fault, I now do not have much access to my Pnet account, because I am told that because the payment could not be taken I have restricted access to my account. W H AT!!!!!!!!

On these boards HarryB said he was sorry, that he would take ownership HE NEVER BOTHERED TO SORT OUT WHAT THEIR SYSTEMS HAVE DONE.  APART FROM THAT EVERYTHING ELSE HE SAID WAS RUBBISH AND NOT RIGHT>

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The direct debit guarantee advises:

If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.

When we set up a direct debit instruction with a customer, 3 working days is agreed.

@Anon wrote:
check it and get back to the originator if the amount is incorrect and allows for the DD to be changed before it is taken.

It's unfortunately not possible for us to change a payment amount while a direct debit payment is processing which starts once the invoice is generated, as advised over in one of your other threads regarding this Here.

@Anon wrote:
there is no time for correction before being taken.

The payment never came through to us and appears to have been stopped by your bank upon your request, at this point I could have credited the erroneous amount off of the invoice as I had previously advised I would do. However you confirmed the refunds came through to you, therefore there was no need for me to take any further action, as I advised over in on of your other threads Here.

@Anon wrote:

I have not cancelled the whole DD just that payment. Yes my bank has refunded the amount, nothing to do with Pnet, now my bank gets the money back from Pnet's bank.

As above, the payment did not clear on our side, as far as I can see, while the payment was processing, it was cancelled at your request in line with the direct debit guarantee.

@Anon wrote:

Interesting that although this is entirely Pnet's fault, I now do not have much access to my Pnet account, because I am told that because the payment could not be taken I have restricted access to my account. W H AT!!!!!!!!

As the direct debit payment was cancelled, the payment failed. As such, the account will default initially to a splash screen advising of an outstanding payment.

@Anon wrote:

On these boards HarryB said he was sorry, that he would take ownership HE NEVER BOTHERED TO SORT OUT WHAT THEIR SYSTEMS HAVE DONE.  APART FROM THAT EVERYTHING ELSE HE SAID WAS RUBBISH AND NOT RIGHT>

As per my response on your other thread regarding this, I was quite happy to step in and help bring this matter to a resolution by either refunding the amount if the payment came through to us or by crediting the amount off of the invoice if the payment was successfully cancelled and therefore failed.

As you confirmed you have now received the refund my colleague issued against unrelated invoices, there is no action for me to take.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anon
Pro

I notice that like most politicians you have not answered the real question ie why do Pnet not do what is said by the Direct Debit site and give 10 working days notice so that Pnet can correct the mistakes it makes before setting off the DD in a way that cannot be altered.

Just another example of how this company does not care about its customers being severely inconvenienced and why there are so many threads these days that complain about the Customer Nonservice.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The reason they do not give 10 days notice is that it would be even more embarrassing for Plusnet.

The current billing system is so inflexible that there is no way that a DD can be amended or cancelled once the notice has been issued. What would be the point of longer notice if they still couldn't make corrections?

The new system which they have been promising for the last 6 years at least will hopefully address these issues (if it doesn't someone needs to be shot!). We've been told it is now actually coming soon although most experienced Plusnet watchers take the attitude that they will believe it when they see it!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Anon wrote:

I notice that like most politicians you have not answered the real question ie why do Pnet not do what is said by the Direct Debit site and give 10 working days notice

The site advises it is normally 10 working days or as otherwise agreed.

As per my previous response, when we set up a direct debit instruction with a customer, 3 working days is agreed.

I'm happy to pass your feedback on to the relevant people, although I can't guarantee this will result in a change.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anon
Pro

Agreed is not the word I would use. More bullied into, because there is NO CHOICE.

Yes the DD Guarantee allows, unfortunately, for shorter periods, but the wording means that Pnet are abnormal. It is the ONLY firm who operate on something different from what is said to be the "normal" and to its customers inconvenience.

Thank you Jelv for the comment, I had not realised how outdated the company is, I am surprised we are not getting billed in pounds, shillings and pence.

Change, ch ch change at Pnet, it must be change for the worse then.

Very, very sadly the days of Pnet trying to be the best and getting very close are loooooooooooooooooooong gone. We are back to the slash and burn Pnet of about 10 years ago.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Anon wrote:

Agreed is not the word I would use. More bullied into, because there is NO CHOICE.

there is a choice, you could have chosen to not accept the terms and take your business elsewhere.
no-one pointed a gun to your head and said you must sign-up.

Anon
Pro

Do you know I don't remember the Pnet rep saying to me that with this contract and payment by DD that you only get 3 days notice of payment instead of the normal 10 working days. So how does one make the decision. Usually we just 'find out'. Then much more difficult.

Perhaps because it is 'abnormal' to only have 3 days it should be an upfront statement. Put it into the monthly payments list that is offered to new customers. Tell them they can't check their DD and get it altered.

Bet they never do that. Why, because people would have the sense to go elsewhere after reading the mess up that Pnet make to so many of their customers.

I was always taught 'take it or leave, your choice', was not a choice. Neither is this.

chenks76
All Star

you were taught wrong then, as they say "a pupil is only as good as their teacher".
you always have a take it or leave it choice.
Anon
Pro

Hobson's choice. No choice at all.

chenks76
All Star

i didn't realise plusnet starting using guns to force to you sign up.
Anon
Pro

Lose one argument so start a different one.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@chenks76 wrote:
plusnet starting using guns to force you to sign up

Don't give them any ideas.Smiley