cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did is it taking so long

wirralfibre

Why did is it taking so long

I signed up to connect our new house to pulsate phone and fibre broadband service on 21/5/15. I was told at that time that it would take 2-4 days for the phone to be connected and then fibre could be connected on 5/6/15 at the earliest. After 1 week there was still no phone line and I called to find out that there was a cease order on the line and that this had delayed everything. Nobody had contacted me to let me know before. Then on 4/6/15 when no router had arrived and phone line still not connected I called to find out that no order had been placed to connect the line, it would cost me an additional £49 for connection and it may take up to another 2 weeks for broadband. Our work depends on broadband connection. We are having to rely on expensive and unreliable mobile broadband signal with nowhere near enough data for my wife to pursue her work in professional film scoring with a need to download and upload large amounts of data. As such she is unable to work and meet her deadlines and commitments which is professionally embarrassing and harmful to her career.
Why couldn't we have been told at the beginning about the delays? I would not have known if I did not call. Your phone operator today said that the cease order on the line is standard practice when someone moves house, so why didn't anyone think of this when I set up the order in the first place? If I hadn't called today the phone line would still not have even been ordered and I would be waiting even longer for an internet connection.
I don't think I should have to continually call to prompt your staff to do their jobs. This is hardly a good welcome for a new customer.
3 REPLIES 3
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Why did is it taking so long

If your phone/internet is CRITICAL for your business then you really should have a business connection -more expensive but some sort of service level agreement.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi wirralfibre,
Welcome to the forums Smiley
Sorry to hear about the problems, and the delay that's incurred.
I have taken a look at the ticket correspondence, and it looks like we emailed you on the 25th, 26th, and 2nd advising that there was a pending cease on the line. I can also see that we now have your order in place to get the phone line back on. I can assure you that this would have happened regardless of you calling.
We'll try and get you up ASAP, and I hope it doesn't impact yourself, or your wife's interests and ambitions too much.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Welcome to the forums and PlusNet.
In direct answer to your key question "Why did this take so long" you gave the answer yourself.  Under the BTw / BT Openreach ways of working (could even be Ofcom rules) it is NOT POSSIBLE for a CP or ISP to place an order on a line which has an "open" line CEASE ORDER on it.
I take it reading between the lines, that you have moved in to a new home with an existing phone service and the old subscriber has cancelled the service with an effective date sometime after they have left.  This can happen with some suppliers where there is a minimum notice period which has not been thought about by the leaving subscriber.
Until the cease order completes another CP / ISP cannot place a provide order on the line.  I do understand your frustration, but venting it at Ofcom or your MP for there being such stupid rules in the first place will (in the long term) be more productive that shouting at PlusNet, as their hands are largely tied here by their supplier / the industry regulator.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.