cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Plusnet update their web pages so that they don't contradict themselves

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why can't Plusnet update their web pages so that they don't contradict themselves

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

When would I have to pay it?

You'd only need to pay the charge if the broadband service is being taken off your phone line. Typical reasons for this are:

• the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off
  • you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider
  • you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/ under Broadband and Fibre Service Terms

10. Ending your agreement

10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:

10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;

10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling); or

10.1.3. the phone line used to provide your service is cut off.

As an aside the mail only package still says £20.28 per year despite multiple posts on here contradicting it

Does anybody have responsibility for updating the Legal Part as that should be the defining statement for customers

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Why can't Plusnet update their web pages so that they don't contradict themselves

Hi Oldjim.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm struggling to determine how the information is contradicting itself.

The following:

the phone line that your broadband's on has been cut off

means:

10.1.3. the phone line used to provide your service is cut off.

This one:

you cancel your broadband account without switching to another provider

means:

10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;

And this:

you switch to a provider who uses their own network (like a cable provider)

with this:

10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling)

It seems to just be phrased differently, please could you advise further?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'll send a chaser email regarding this.

As an aside the mail only package still says £20.28 per year despite multiple posts on here contradicting it

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why can't Plusnet update their web pages so that they don't contradict themselves

I refer you to this post https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Leaving-Plusnet-OFCOM/m-p/1436216#M2966

HarryB wrote:

Previous the situation was as @Oldjim said, but the cessation fee isn't always charged. It depends on how the services with us are stopped. More information on this can be found Here.

and what I said was

but you will still have the cancellation charge unless you migrate to a non LLU supplier

So I said that there is a charge unless you migrate to a non LLU supplier and Harry said that this was no longer the case and clearly the change between the legal document and the new document is the reason

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies if there was any confusion caused by my post that you've linked.

What I was getting at was, when price increases have happened in the past, the cease fee was charged if it was applicable.

At the time of making that post, I was unsure if this had changed or not, in the price increase situation.

I stated that I wanted to clarify the wording on the email (if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.)

And then came back with the response I'd had from our legal/marketing teams.

HarryB wrote:

Further to my response yesterday, I've had a response from our legal and marketing team advising that as it’s in the context of being able to leave their minimum term contract without paying fees the cessation fee would still be charged if applicable.

This is because it's directly in the context of contract fees, and the cessation fee isn’t dependent on a contract.

When I said it depends on how the services with us are stopped, I was basically agreeing with you.

It is charged in the situation you advised of. But it is not always applicable i.e. if the service is migrated to a provide that still uses the BT Network

When would I have to pay it?

The good news is, there's no charge if you move to another broadband service that also uses a BT line for its network.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet