cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Plusnet provide what BT can ? No broadband since joining

amgas

Why can't Plusnet provide what BT can ? No broadband since joining

I had stable 1.5 mbit connection with BT for 2 years.
I moved to plusnet and apparently they are not capable of providing the same, blaming the length of my line - of course my house and the exchange are in the same place as they were when BT provided me service with no problems.
Today they offered to cancel my contract so they did not have to fix my issue - this is a joke.
Anyone from plusnet care to comment ?
15 REPLIES 15
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Why can't Plusnet provide what BT can ? No broadband since joining

so they let you out of the contract due to them not being able to provide what you want and that is not acceptable to you?
amgas

I want the service I had - if I move again I still have the grief of choosing a provider and getting setup etc
To say they can't provide a service because of where I live is a joke when I have had adsl for years !!!!!! Plusnet broke it they should fix it not try to wash their hands.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you can go back to BT, they gave you what you wanted i assume
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: amgas
Plusnet broke it they should fix it not try to wash their hands.

Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.
I know that this is not want you want to hear, but (setting aside the possibility that you have been 'provided' on a up to 1Mbps BTw product) PlusNet did not break this - BTOR did.
The speed at which your link synchs is governed solely by the BTOR owned, managed and maintained equipment between your home and the exchange.  PlusNet does not have any control or "touch" on that equipment.
If you are being advised that you are "too far from the exchange" then that will be a decision made by BTOR, not PlusNet.  The truth might be something more like "your line has deteriorated and there are no serviceable spare pairs between your home and the exchange over which a decent service can be provided".
Clearly the actual reasons need CRT comment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What apart from changing suppliers has changed?
At a guess, you will have a new router, and this may be the problem.
A few years ago I had a project supplying broadband services around the country many in rural locations. I found the old BT Business 2 wire router could supply higher speeds and more reliable service than many other routers.
Even though I can throw stones at my local exchange, I don't by the way, the 2 Wire router would give me full adsl speeds, whereas a BT Homehub would not. Due to cost constraints, the ISP supplied routers are not always the best quality, or give the best line speeds. It sounds like you are a long way from your exchange, whilst I can't see PlusNet supplying a better router, you could do worse than having a look on eBay, and getting a 2 Wire router and trying that, or something similar.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Mustrum
What apart from changing suppliers has changed?

That's just the point - we do not know.  Remote rural areas ofthen have aluminium wires which do deteriorate.  BTOR might have been messing with the circuits and there might be no decent ones left.  Rather than repair them, BTOR will simply say service cannot be provided.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

What Townman has said here seems spot on to be honest.
Quote from: Townman
Hi,
A warm welcome to the forums.
I know that this is not want you want to hear, but (setting aside the possibility that you have been 'provided' on a up to 1Mbps BTw product) PlusNet did not break this - BTOR did.
The speed at which your link synchs is governed solely by the BTOR owned, managed and maintained equipment between your home and the exchange.  PlusNet does not have any control or "touch" on that equipment.
If you are being advised that you are "too far from the exchange" then that will be a decision made by BTOR, not PlusNet.  The truth might be something more like "your line has deteriorated and there are no serviceable spare pairs between your home and the exchange over which a decent service can be provided".
Clearly the actual reasons need CRT comment.

I can also confirm it isn't provided on an 'up to 1Mbps' product.
We've been investigating this as a fault for the past month, the engineer notes from last week state the following:
Quote from: Engineer
CIs test and demonstrated to EU. eclipse and PQT ok from nte unable to do. A5 min sync test as tester would not sync. enduser in sync at 244k this is a 8000k circuit and the line length in 8126m unable to speed up as long line issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Harry,
Is there room for a push back here - request boost engineer?  If previously this line did better than it does at present, then it suggests something in BTOR's realm has deteriorated and needs to be rectified.  Leaving PlusNET with egg on its face is just not acceptable.
BTOR need to test the line from the cabinet back to the NTE as well.  It's not unheard of for PQT to pass OK from NTE but fail from the cabinet.  I'm guessing there are no spare pairs?  In which case BTOR need to get into every cable joint and renew the crimps.  Is there aluminium involved here?
Is PlusNET still progressing this problem with BTOR?

@Amgas,
You really need to work with PlusNET on this one.  This is a BTOR issue; no matter which ISP you might consider using, your BTOR circuit is not going to change.  Stupid as it sounds, no ISP has much clout with BTOR and the esclation channels are limited.
One way of addressing situations such as yours is to write direct to the CEO of BTOR - ask why their equipment which used to do X can now only do Y and no effort us being made to fix things?  Also ask why are BTOR's technical issues are being made a commercial issue for PlusNET?  You might not get a reply (I have not had one to 3 such emails) however it will open doors for PlusNET within BTOR's esclation processes much sooner than the months BTOR's standard esclation processes take.
Also bringing BTOR's failure to adequately repair their equipment to the attention of Ofcom might not result in a quicker fix, but it will raise another black mark against BTOR's failure to deliver.
Kevin

AndyH
Grafter

Is the OP's line is 8126m, how could he possibly have been getting 1.5Mb with BT on a stable connection?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Andy,
That is a sound question which calls into doubt the OP's recollection of synch speed or BTOR's 'measurement' of the line length.  As you imply, it is not likely that both are true.
BTw's historic stats for the line should indicate previous synch speed attainment and loop loss metrics.

@amgas,
Can you please post your full router stats.
Whilst I'm thinking modems (routers) what were you using when you were with BT?  Do you still have it?  If yes have you tried using it with the PlusNET service?  You will need to change the user details.
Some modems are better with poor lines than others.  I'm guessing you are using a 2704n from PlusNET at present?  That said, the test equipment would not synch at all, yet your modem does synch.  One starts to question the quality of the test equipment used by BTOR.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: AndyH
Is the OP's line is 8126m, how could he possibly have been getting 1.5Mb with BT on a stable connection?

His line has been swapped at some time to a different pair which follows a more circuitous route? (Of course an OR engineer would never do such a thing to fix someone else's issues - would they?)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Router stats should be able to confirm the accuracy of the line length test.
I doubt the line length has suddenly increased by 3-4km though.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: AndyH

Are you saying the OP is being economical with the truth?
Quote from: amgas
I had stable 1.5 mbit connection with BT for 2 years.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Your words, not mine.
Something clearly isn't right here though.