cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are internet service providers so reluctant to communicate by email?

KK
Grafter

Why are internet service providers so reluctant to communicate by email?

Why do companies like PlusNet insist that their customers' only means of contact is via the outmoded technology of a telephone call centre?
For domestic purposes, the use of telephone landlines is rapidly becoming a distant memory, and the growth in internet usage is the reason why.
Companies like PlusNet provide the internet facilities which are rapidly replacing landline telephony, but they seem unwilling to use their own product in order to communicate with their customers.
Plusnet has been rabbiting on for months about its new callcentre, but customers continue to experience wait times of anything up to 60 minutes, and then frequently receive completely useless and/or inaccurate information, with no means of ensuring that the details of any conversation will be properly recorded.
How long will this be allowed to continue?
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Why are internet service providers so reluctant to communicate by email?

Quote from: KK
Why do companies like PlusNet insist that their customers' only means of contact is via the outmoded technology of a telephone call centre?

They don't!
Emails are a really bad idea because of the lack of traceability and may not carry the conversation relating to the problem if people don't reply leaving all the previous emails. That's why Plusnet's preferred method is the ticket/question system. It also means issues go to the correct team. If you ring in they will raise a ticket anyway.
Go to http://www.plus.net/wizard/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KK
Grafter

I have not used the ticket/question system, and it does not immediately appear as an option on the website.  The lack of traceability is equally applicable to telephone conversations.  The only widely advertised way to get in touch with PlusNet is by phone.  'Jess' is nothing but a 'Joke' - is that how customers are supposed to find their way onto the ticket/question system?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You didn't look very hard
A large heading Help and Support takes you straight to it
KK
Grafter

On the Help&Support page, all roads lead to 'Jess'!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

DoughPea
Dabbler

For a forum moderator, you don't seem to be very friendly!
Its fairly obvious the above CUSTOMER is having difficulty finding what s/he is looking for.
I use other forums quite alot, and it took me a few times of reading your reply to see past the bluntness and realise you had posted a picture. Perhaps mentioning you had done this may have helped me find it, as it looked like part of your signature to me at first glance.
Perhaps looking at the site from a newcomers perspective instead of someone who visits daily may help you understand the issues we face when using the website as a new user, who is frustrated because they are having a problem, and may not see the obvious.

syates
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
That's why Plusnet's preferred method is the ticket/question system.

Unless you need your MAC Code,, then they expect you to hang on the telephone.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Not true. You can also send them a letter to request your MAC code.
Mseasail

I would endorse every comment made by DoughPea posted on 29th.
Little or no account taken of the clarity required for new users.
I have also been trying to make that point to PlusNet.
I also agree with the comment about the unfriendly moderator.
M.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mseasail
the unfriendly moderator.

Compared to many other forum moderators, ebay etc, I think Oldjim is a hard working pussy cat.
Also from what I've seen always helpful and pretty consistent as well.
mikko
Grafter

I suppose they don't use emails for MACs because they want to slow down the leaving process, after all their main aim is to make money. Phoning in gives them a chance to persuade you not to leave (though that depends how good the call centre minion that receives the call is. Some may just say "OK, go then" or words to that effect). Snail mail gives the sender time to cool down and reconsider.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Being nice isn't part of the job description  Grin
The degree of abruptness in my responses tends to match how the initial question is framed and the posting history of the poster
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mikko
I suppose they don't use emails for MACs because they want to slow down the leaving process, after all their main aim is to make money. Phoning in gives them a chance to persuade you not to leave (though that depends how good the call centre minion that receives the call is. Some may just say "OK, go then" or words to that effect). Snail mail gives the sender time to cool down and reconsider.

I'd lay any money that they've had people ring up asking for their MAC because for example, they need more than one email address. We're all rational reasonably competent people around here (after all we found these forums), but there will be some users that get a bee in their bonnet that they have to leave for a reason that is totally possible to solve if they stay with Plusnet. Speaking to them when they call for a MAC gives the opportunity for such issues to be resolved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DoughPea
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
The degree of abruptness in my responses tends to match how the initial question is framed and the posting history of the poster

of course, this will always be a factor, and anyone who regularly moderates a forum will always come across a certain "type" of person who needs handled a certain way.
Still though, some constructive feedback on the reply you made would be to try to remember you are not just replying to the OP, but to others like myself who browse for an answer before asking a new question.
While your answer did its job, it could have been clearer for others reading the thread looking at the same issue who are not in this category of people.
Having reread my reply I realise I came across as a little unappreciative of the work you do here, please believe that was not my intent.
I have great respect for people in your position, and merely wished to provide feedback. My apologies if any offense was caused.
adie:green fixed quotes