cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Plusnet so useless for new provides with home phone?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why are Plusnet so useless for new provides with home phone?

Last January I moved to this house. My phone was with BT (and still is). I ordered the move from BT and obtained a simultaneous provide code from them. I then contacted Plusnet, ordered the broadband move for the same day and gave them the simultaneous provide code. It all worked perfectly BT phone and Plusnet broadband went live on the day I moved in.
I'm now about to move again, so I've tried starting the order process with Plusnet. With Plusnet Home Phone I can't have a simultaneous provide, I have to wait 5-7 working days for the broadband after the phone is activated.
This is absolutely ludicrous - if a competitor is providing the phone Plusnet can activate broadband on the same day, but if they are doing both when it should be easier they can't!
It seems to me that Plusnet's problem is that they don't get the simultaneous provide code from BTw when they raise the phone order which means they can't then use it when placing the broadband order.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Why are Plusnet so useless for new provides with home phone?

We should be able to do a simultaneous provide.
Leave it with me and I'll see what we can do.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

James,
I'm probably going to stay with BT for the phone.
[list type=lower-alpha]
  • It worked last time
  • If I get a phone fault BT will give me free diversion to a mobile
    [br]My post was more because I think you are not serving your users best interests. We frequently see posts from people frustrated about the delay in activating the broadband. It is unnecessary if you got your act together and sorted out your system. If you could do it for me you should be able to do it for everyone.
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
    James
    Grafter

John,
    Not disputing that at all.  I am surprised that we would not offer to do this as a simultaneous order and wanted to get one of my team to find out why.
    If you would like me to get an order placed then I would be happy to do so but understand why you would be apprehensive of doing so.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

I tried it as an automatic online order and that was what it came up with.
    brueton
    Grafter

If you need another example.
    I have just moved house. My phone and broadband were with Plusnet at my old house.
    Phone at new house was switched to Plusnet on 29/01/2013, got a phone call in the evening to say it had transferred OK  Smiley but that broadband would be transferred a week later on 05/02/2013  :(.
    I had assumed the phone and broadband would be moved at the same time.
    I am lucky enough to get a wireless signal from a neighbour (they have agreed I can use it) who is also with Plusnet, but I am worried that I am using too much of their 10GB allowance. Keep checking each day and have stopped using iPlayer etc.
    Pete
    chrispurvey
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Fixes: 1

It does depend on the nature of the tranfer and if we need to give the lose provider notice, there a quite a few different scenarios. We'll always aim to activate your services at the earliest date possible.
    brueton
    Grafter

Lose provider BT for phone, no broadband.
    James
    Grafter

Quote from: PeteB
    I have just moved house. My phone and broadband were with Plusnet at my old house.
    Phone at new house was switched to Plusnet on 29/01/2013, got a phone call in the evening to say it had transferred OK   Smiley but that broadband would be transferred a week later on 05/02/2013  :(.
    Pete

Thanks Pete.
    It depends on whether or not we can just restart a phone line at the new address.  If we can do that, it's really quick and then we would order broadband afterwards. However, if we are doing a new line installation that requires an engineer, it makes sense to do this as a sim order.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

When I contacted BT to enquire they said that if the phone in the property is currently active with no cancellation they would contact the current customer to confirm that the line was OK to be ceased and re-provided to me. Obviously they would use that as an opportunity to try to retain them at their new address.
    I'd have said that it would make more sense to do a sim provide on an existing line takeover. If it requires an engineers visit, as we've seen far too often recently, there is a good chance he won't turn up which would lead to to broadband order failing and probably a longer delay.
    James
    Grafter

Quote from: jelv
    When I contacted BT to enquire they said that if the phone in the property is currently active with no cancellation they would contact the current customer to confirm that the line was OK to be ceased and re-provided to me. Obviously they would use that as an opportunity to try to retain them at their new address.

What this is likely to actually mean is that they will place a WLT (Working Line Takeover) and send notification to the losing supplier (may well be themselves) that an order has been placed on the line.  The losing supplier would then have to give that person notice under GC24.