cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why NO Offers for just the Fibre?

Devonian
Grafter

Re: Why NO Offers for just the Fibre?

I don't understand how it's not true, when the above is the price you pay?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do those figures include CLI?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Devonian
Grafter

Does that matter?
BT offer Sport... great.. if you want it.  But I don't.
Plusnet charges for calls to be redirected if your phone line breaks, BT don't... great!  Except I wont use it.
So adding these things and charging more for it is a false economy to the customer if you would never use it in the first place.
The only extra I want and pay for is caller display.
So BT is much more expensive for ME.  Fact.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT and their lapdog (Plusnet) are not the only telecoms providers operating in the UK.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Devonian
Grafter

Really?  I honestly didn't know that!  Roll_eyes
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I had a line fault last year and it dragged on and on for weeks with terrible support from BT, my telephone provider.  I opted for free call diversion to my mobile phone but this is in lieu of compensation.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
My most recent experience with such issues was back in early Feb, so some might not consider that to be "these days", however on that occasion the noisy line fault was reported after 2pm on one day and PN did the test during the call (I was on my mobile) confirmed the fault and got the BTOR engineer out for 8am the following morning.  How much better could anyone do than that, beyond having direct contact with BTOR's on the ground engineers to see if anyone was passing by my door that afternoon with a free half hour to spare?

I can beat that Kevin!  Ok, it is probably about 18 months ago, but I noticed my broadband wasn't working when getting home about 11pm one Friday night.  Went to phone PlusNet and the noise on the line was terrible.  Phoned from my mobile to report it.  Tests carried out and fault confirmed.  Engineer arrived about 9:30 on the Saturday morning to tell me he'd fixed a dodgy joint in the cabinet and just wanted to check all was now ok (which it was!).  That possibly was closer to the engineer just passing!  The cabinet is just up the road from the exchange.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Devonian
I don't understand how it's not true

Because your price list only shows a small range of generally available charges.
I get my broadband from Plusnet. Good service and a good re-contracted price that can't be beat by BT.
I get my phone line from BT. Good service and a good price that can't be beat by Plusnet.
Adding the two together I get a price that can't be beat by any offers, new customer, special, or otherwise.
That said I have no doubt that many pay the same as me or less.
vicky1959
Grafter

could think another way lol  look at sky tv some people pay £27 for basic yet there are only 14 extra channels all the rest are either freeview or freesat,all of which work off same sky dish and use same satelite
We moved to PN from BT ,why  nearly £20pm cheaper,people quibble over adsl to fibre, well basic look at it this way you have good old 2+2 family[ us 2.1]  my partner games a lot,our daughter  multitasks, gaming youtube and skypes lol i play FB games now and again, so my partner looked at all this and we realised that as fibre was available it would be better for all of us,we had adsl 18mb with sky but when were all online we suffered,so basic  when buying look at needs not as want,also as partner says your better off with kids having unlimited,as most of there generation play on PC/Xbox/Ps3 etc and most games update or are downloaded now and will eat usage limit if restricted,as well as  watching youtube or downloading stuff
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi All.
Thank you Everyone for your response's and suggestions and general information.
I have had many ISP's, such as BT, NTL, Sky and BE, whom I was with for the last 12 years on ADSL, but they have of course been taken over by Sky, who cannot seem to match the 24MbPs that I got consistently with BE. When I asked BE in the beginning how they could give me that fast speed compared to BT's 8MbPs, they said it was because they went into the exchange and hooked me onto their New Digital equipment after taking me off BT's older out-dated equipment.
So this is why I was looking around, and after realising that BT had installed a new box at the end of the road where I live and that this was Fibre Optic, and that with me being so close to it I would get the full speed of the service then of course I was over the moon.
Sky were offering the Fibre, but of course they wanted the land line too. They also were offering some other freebie to get you to join, but I can't quite remember what it was.
BT were also offering £50 Sainsburys vouchers if you took the 38MbPs service. BT also had another offer for the 79MbPs service which gave you £100 sainsburys vouchers and £40 Next vouchers too.
I don't have a large family, it's just me and the partner now, but we both enjoy surfing the web, emailing and watching films a lot, which are done either through our Netflix subscription in full Super HD (Honestly, thats what their web site calls it, but I have to admit it is good, and so is the surround sound) and we both also do some gaming on either the PS4 in the living room or the old PS3 in the bedroom, we also watch the latest blockbusters over the Sony PSN again in full HD and 5.1 sound.
I have noticed that with this slower speed service from Sky, which is un-restricted because I was on that kind of service with BE, I am noticing that we are experiencing a lot of pausing and stuttering now and then when using the likes of Netflix.
So we have both agreed that we need to get something Faster and Unrestricted so we do not have to worry about going over any bandwidth allowances.
I hope this explanation goes some way toward explaining why we have decided to try the Fibre speed broad band.
Now on to other busines.
@ Devonian
"I simply do not understand why you have made this post?" Really, then try reading it again.
"It's brash, rude, and some what aggressive." Nope, as above, try reading it again.
"Just like my reply to you." Nope, I didn't take it as that, I merely thought the post was made by a pre-puberty adolescent, so no worries I simply ignorred it alltogether.
"But come here as a first time poster and moan because you can't get it cheaper than the rest of us, and expect us to subsidise your service, and well, you get replies like this one!" You do realise how this sounds right?
So let me get this straight, you would not go into a store and try and get them to price match something in order to try and get the best deal for You then? or wait, I bet you never buy anything in a SALE, you would much rather wait and pay Full Price?
There was nothing wrong with me asking about any offers from PN, companies run offers all the time to try and encourage new business. If you did not like the fact that I asked, then you should have refrained from posting the BS statement that you did, but there again, you might just be a Troll to begin with, either way as far as I am concerned your just a Jackass.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
I have removed a post and locked this thread as it is degenerating into personal attacks which are against this rule http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_attack
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine