cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who on earth thinks that 2mb upload is a)acceptable b)not necessary to mention and c)"unlimited"

Deviestee

Who on earth thinks that 2mb upload is a)acceptable b)not necessary to mention and c)"unlimited"

Absolutely fuming Cheesy..... just switched from BT having enjoyed 38 mb down and 9 mb up and despite BT offering free upgrade to 52mb thought I would go for the apparently similar deal with the plusnet fibre unlimited up to 38mb.  

Initially I lost the 1st first days service as the helpdesk were incapable of telling me how to setup the BT Homehub 5 (which I was previously told would work) they suggested I bought a new hub, or paid them for the plusnet re-badged version of the BT Hub 5. After declining both offers and figuring it out myself, I now find that I've been given a crappy 2mb upload speed to go with a 40mb download speed.

Wholesale state the line is capable of Estimated line speed: 57Mb (This may vary between 43.1Mb and 57.7Mb) - Checked on 2016-08-02 14:40:32 Current line speed: 37 Mb

But the router is showing it has been capped to 40 download and 2 up by Plusnet !!!

OK I agreed to sign up to a 38mb upload speed but I did NOT sign up to a tiny 2mb up, and I did NOT sign up to a capped/limited/deliberately slowed down service. The Plusnet T&C’s state that Plusnet will NOT limit the line speed.

"Plusnet's Unlimited broadband network is designed to provide enough capacity for all our customers and so you will generally be able to achieve the fastest possible speed your line will allow. We don't limit your line speed, usage or downloads."

But clearly they do !

The COT agent seemed to think that Ofcom had told Plusnet that it was OK not to mention a major feature like that prominently in the sales material and that they would want £150 in termination fees from me if I decided to leave – I’ve only been with Plusnet for 4 days – surely try to retain a new customer not make them even more [-Censored-]ed off  !!!! Not seeing much “We’ll do ‘em proud” here. The best offered was to take out a new contract and switch to the higher level "unlimited" which I'm not prepared to do as the period offered was longer. Also if they haven’t delivered according to the contract then I can leave !!!

Oh and I also found out that the calls will go up from £6 to £6.50 and I haven’t been informed.

So unless someone from Plusnet contacts me pretty rapidly to respond to this post or the question I have replied to (id=130671870) then it’s all gonna end badly !!!

12 REPLIES 12
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Who on earth thinks that 2mb upload is a)acceptable b)not necessary to mention and c)"unlim

Welcome to the forum @Deviestee Smiley

I am not sure why you are fuming though.

If you signed up online,  it tells you the upload speed when starting your order under broadband , then by clicking " show details" ( see attachment )

It could be made easier to find the upload speed though, this was discussed recently in another thread , and feedback passed on. 

If you signed up over the phone given this is a "major feature" for you , did you ask the agent?

If you signed up online on or after the 27 June , there is a big blue banner ( still there now) informing customers of the price rise , this is classed as notification for new customers.

If you signed up over the phone in the same period, and was not informed (you should have been), then yes, they have to give you 30 day notice , in which you can leave penalty free. 

Kind regards

Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Deviestee

Re: Who on earth thinks that 2mb upload is a)acceptable b)not necessary to mention and c)"unlim

I did a webchat before signing up and it was confirmed that the line would not get the bump to up to 52mb bt customers are getting (and existing plusnet customers). It was also confirmed the bt hub 5 would work. It would have been an opportune moment for the agent to have mentioned that while bt give 10-15 mb upload, Plusnet don't and give 2. That for a adsl line may be OK but for a Fibre is a joke for anyone who uses Google drive/one drive etc and has paid for a "fast" premium priced product like this. The feedback about it not being apparent is spot on and an important issue.
Also the statement I found on one of your other threads that says "Switching between our fibre broadband products won’t change the length of your contract (i.e. you won’t have to agree to any additional minimum contract term) and no administration charges apply." was not offered to me.

So it seems that terms and conditions are ignored when it suits and important features are either glossed over or mis-represented on several occasions.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

@Deviestee

If you want to switch to the 80/20, hopefully one of the PN staff on here would make sure the following happens

"Switching between our fibre broadband products won’t change the length of your contract (i.e. you won’t have to agree to any additional minimum contract term) and no administration charges apply"

Seems some PN staff need training on t an c's regarding product change 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Deviestee

Well if they have time that would be great..... I hear they have a few billion issues going on with the botched upgrade for existing customers 😉
I refuse to waste any more time ringing in to have music for half an hour and less than impressive support and advice for the next half hour. (twice).
I was offered the upgrade at a no cost option but as I said balked at the additional 6 month term which we now know is Bs.
That would put me where I should be but based on the service so far what reason do I have for not just chucking in the contract for a number of breaches to the t&c's on their side?
Oh and a banner on a website saying we put up our prices doesn't constitute adequate notification.
Thx for your input.
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If your paying the same amount as those on the older legacy 40/20 product then i agree its not fair, with the new changes being forced through to 55/10 then those on 40/2 should also be put on the same speed, but at the end of the day its down to the new customers if they accept that & decide to join Plusnet or go elsewhere. A number of ISPs don't make clear what the upload speeds are, maybe they think customers are only interested in fast download speeds as this is used the most, i was just looking at EE & could not find what the upload speed was on their website

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

@shylok it is on their website here : http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/home-broadband/i...

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I think 5 meg up would be more balanced Smiley 

shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ITWorks wrote:

@shylok it is on their website here : http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/home-broadband/i...

I was going thru their main broadband page, cannot see it here https://broadband.ee.co.uk/packages

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

It is now very hard to find any ISP who advertise their upload speeds Sad

Like PN who hide theirs at bottom of page in the Leagal Bit !  , its like they dont want customers to see what upload they will get ,Such a important fact should not be hidden

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's still hidden?

I would have thought plusnet would have done the decent thing and put it on their front page next to the download speed.

Especially after this underhand practice was exposed on another thread.

What was the excuse ......

I think it was other ISP's do the same.Angry

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes its still in the legal BIT Crazy2  Not on front page only download speed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Deviestee

EE prominently put it here http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/home-broadband/i...

Plusnet bury it as best they can in the legal T&C's which you can't get to by clicking on the ∞  and will only read if you want to read the other 1,757 words here https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

It's not mentioned in the 1,900 words that are relevant to this product here  here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/

Anyway, after not getting a response to my "question" and not getting a response to this thread (it's clearly a user self help group unless it really goes titsup) I went back and wasted another hour of my life.

I failed to negotiate a switch to another tariff "without" a contract increase for some inexplicable reason - making the T&C's completely useless. 

Bottom line is the 2mb "cap" has been removed from my profile and I will now get the 10-15mb "estimated" that I should be getting based on the information that was readily available at the time, that is comparable with other products that one could reasonable obtain in the marketplace. I will "allegedly" be the only customer with plusnet who has had this artificial cap that iosn't a cap removed from my account !!!

If I could be bothered I would drive a truck through the whole [-Censored-] customer experience and completely inadequate level of clear, plain, simple description of what one is actually getting but won't. I used to get paid by BT to do that so won't be doing it for nowt as a paying customer.